Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Nvidia ShieldTV Hyperspin - How to change paths

j600com

Sorry I'm a complete dunce when it comes to this stuff :/ 

I managed (with some help off here) to setup Hyperspin on my Nvidia Shield TV but swiftly filled up the internal storage with the roms. So I've bought a 5TB HDD filled with all the bumf - but now I don't know how to change the settings on the Nvidia so that it ignores the previous setup and instead starts looking at the 5TB HDD. The HDD has all the artwork etc and the roms - I just don't know what/where settings are that need changed so I can view these extras. 

Any help would be amazing I'm complete baffled at the moment! :(

It looks for a folder called hyperspin

Rename your Hyperspin folder on internal storage or delete it.

Make sure your Hyperspin folder is in the first level (root) of your external drive.

Is your called Arcade?

It should automatically find your setup.

After that you need to make sure all you rompaths are adjusted in all systemname.ini files.

Easy if you have placed all your rom files inside the Hyperspin folder

I'm having massive problems now, it won't even open hyperspin the nvidia just keep grinding to a halt and crashing (even when not on hyperspin) and the android file transfer on Mac won't upload any files :/

I think I've copied over something I shouldn't have. The HDD is loaded with 5TB of stuff but has non-android things on it like rocket launcher (it's from a windows arcade) - the hyperspin folder is called Arcade yeh.

Should I uninstall hyperspin and start again?

You may have some fun with that.

Are you going to plug the drive into the shield to use it?

Probably best bet.

Delete all Hyperspin folders from your shield then you could uninstall Hyperspin app and reinstall it no big deal.

I suggest familiarise yourself with Hyperspin android by reading my tutorial in signature and the sticky posts and the beginners guide in the forum.

You may well be better off leaving your arcade folder and duplicating a new Hyperspin folder and having a play with that before takeing on the whole lot. Maybe ask the person you got it from to help you.

Thanks for the help!

Managed to get it working on a few systems, but unsure on why some of the consoles on wheel arent working?

When I click PlayStation or Sega Saturn the screen just flashes and goes back to the menu - it doesn't show the sub-wheel of games. Any idea what I'm missing / how to fix the ones that don't load to show the sub-wheel?

Thanks for the help!

Managed to get it working on a few systems, but unsure on why some of the consoles on wheel arent working?

When I click PlayStation or Sega Saturn the screen just flashes and goes back to the menu - it doesn't show the sub-wheel of games. Any idea what I'm missing / how to fix the ones that don't load to show the sub-wheel?

yes make sure filters are set right.

is there anywhere I can download the settings files and upload them all at once? seem to remember stumbling over something before with a link - it may have even been yours actually badhemi?

I have a feeling the reason many of the systems arent working are the settings files I've got being wrong :/

think I might have found out why the roms aren't working on the others too - lots of the roms are 7z files. When I've added 7z to the settings ini - it no longer says missing Rom, but instead the screen just goes black? Any ideas?

depends if it is a emulator that needs a bios file

I think badhemi 'a settings are linked in my install tutorial now thread now.

All your android settings file should be in the folder Settings_Android along side your Hyperspin exe if your running Windows setup also.

Example Sega Genesis.ini

There is settings.ini and Main Menu.ini and the specific platform named .ini's that's all you need.

You will have lots of trouble as not many android emulators work with 7z or zip files if any for 7z. (I got that from other forum posts so never tested) MAME stuff needs to be .zip though

I'm writing all this up and cleaning badhemi's settings file at the moment. Give it a few days I will have a guide and pack for everyone to use

The Tutorial is not finished yet but I have attached my progress and here is the cleaned settings files from badhemi's originals

FYI I have NOT tested them yet so maybe just try ONE and make sure nothing goes wonky!!

Attached the WIP tutorial also

_Default Settings_Android.zip

I'm done up to the Game System ini files. Some basic notes lifted from Reznates post. MAybe it will be finished tomorrow maybe not. :0

Hyperspin Android Settings.docx

You may well be better off leaving your arcade folder and duplicating a new Hyperspin folder and having a play with that before takeing on the whole lot. Maybe ask the person you got it from to help you.

Rather than try and copy all the roms over I'm tempted to just rename that Arcade folder on the external HDD Hyperspin then change the rom paths in the settings INI's - or is that a bad idea, would that cause me no end of problems? :)

I think that will cause no end of problems with you PC/RocketLauncher setup but I don't use much on PC. Not used RL for months.

You could probably leave all you roms in same place (except anything that will use any retroarch MAME core. They need to be named as software list hash xml's and store in retroarch directory right now)

Then change the rompath in any ini's in the Settings_Android.

Then build a new Hyperapin folder with just the artwork and themes. That may still big fairly big but not as bad as the roms

Think that's what I'll do, copy all the media over to the internal storage of the Nvidia with as many roms as I can. But then point the rom paths to the external HDD for things like PS2, Gamecube or Dreamcast where they won't fit in the internal storage.

That's great thanks!

Started doing them one at a time, Atari 5200 is taking me out of hyperspin and into the blue retroarch load core screen when I try to open the rom? Like the core isn't there?

Okay, so copied those settings across and set up the media and databases so my wheel is all set up. Next step is going through each of them 1 by 1.

First one, Amstrad GX400 is doing the same as the Atari was whereby it just goes to a blue retroarch screen when you go to open the rom? Any ideas?

So anything that uses retroarch MAME (softlists) is a real pig to setup.

Search on here or YouTube for Sting or Gavin Rea GX4000 Hyperspin setup.

He has done the most vids on it.

Basically if the only emulator you can use is retroarch MAME for non MAME systems like gx4000 and Atari 5200 Everything has to be in the retroarch system folder.

Search for the Atari 5200 thread is this forum it has most of the info needed.

So you have to have the MAME software list xml's. Download or look for your PC MAME emulator. Grab the "hash folder"

Name all of your roms, wheels, videos etc to match the game name entries.

In retroarch "system" folder create a MAME folder

System/mame

Place the hash folder in there

System/mame/hash

In system folder create the console folder for each system. Example gx4000 (named exactly as the hash file.xml for that system)

System/gx4000 (place all your roms here, named as software list xml names)

Create another folder for bios

System/gx4000/gx4000 (place bios here)

Point your retroarch.cfg file system/bios directory to the "system" folder

In the Hyperspin rompath point it to the first console folder (example system/gx4000) should be something like

/sdcard/Android/data/com.retroarch/files/system/gx4000 (DONT have a "/" at the end)

Could be sdcard/RetroArch/system/gx4000 depends on your setup

Have a look at the setup notes for Atari 5200 in my android base pack in signature. (It's a separate download so don't need all of it!)

I'm actually trying to find an easier way to set this up at the moment. Setup log capture for my shield last night for this exact reason!!

Hold fire I actually managed to launch MESS/MAME systems from different locations last night. (Atari 5200) which I have not seen documented on here anywhere.

I'll try right something up tonight.

It doesn't overcome the problem of having to change all the names though.

You should just leave all the systems that are using retroarch MAME core until last. They are the most time consuming.

Not gonna get time to do a full guide on this one for a couple of days here is the rough idea though.

1st you need the official MAME emulator for PC.

If you don't have one you need to create a mame.ini file.

There's loads of ways to do it but the easiest way I found was to create a .bat file and put it with your MAME.exe in the PC version.

Open notepad and type

mame64.exe -cc

(Where mame64.exe is the exact name of your exe file)

Save this file as CreateConfig.bat

Double click it and you should have a MAME.ini file now.

Take the MAME folders (artwork, hash, roms, ini, cfg, ctrl etc) and the MAME.ini

Drop them in a folder called mame

Transfer that folder to you shield. It needs to be in the system folder retroarch is pointing at. Mine looks like this.

Sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame

Next

Create your rom folder structure.

For Atari 5200 mine is this. (I need to test this further to check if you can have different names but for now mine is) should be the same for other systems. Use the name of the relevant xml file found in the hash folder.

"Anywhere"/roms/a5200

(place your bios here)

Where "anywhere" is just that mine works on NAS drive and internal storage

"Anywhere"/roms/a5200/a5200

(Place your roms in here)

(All you roms need to be named to match the relenvent short names found in the hash folder)

Now take that mame.ini file copy it and paste into the ini folder.

Rename it to the system name like mine is

a5200.ini

You should have

Sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame/ini/a5200.ini

Open the .ini file and change the rompath line from "roms" to where your actual roms are. For my NAS mine is

Storage/MYCLOUD/Atari_5200/roms/a5200/a5200

Copy your rompath from here and use it as the rompath in you Hyperspin SYSTEMNAME.ini file also.

I think that's all. As I say there are other ways to do it and I need to test more but for me this seems a bit more flexible

Btw don't have spaces in you rompath folder names. Retroarch/MAME won't read past a space so won't find your roms. I used _ to get round it but maybe "" around the full path would work.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i'm out of my depth. I don't actually know what a bios is lol :) i'm just fudging my way along as I go. 

I've attached an image to show what I've done (settings ini on the left, and android structure on the right) any ideas what I'm missing?

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 16.00.51.png

Archived