Is it possible to show only the backgrounds in the Unified Bezel packs?

lilcheeks

Thanks so much for all these replies, and for your patience in an area that has likely been addressed before. They are very helpful. 

3 hours ago, Metalzoic said:

However if you have 600 hours to kill feel free to go through and re-arrange the art of all 2400 bezels in photoshop yourself.

Lol :rofl: It's project that I might actually have considered, if a)I had the necessary image editing skills and b)I had the necessary spare time.

I actually run my monitor & projector at 1900x1080 - which I understand is indeed 16:9 - sorry for my mistake.

3 hours ago, Metalzoic said:

You just answered your own question. You just spent a lot of time on a single bezel. I converted and put over 2400 bezels in my public pack, coming from over 20 different creators who each made them in different shapes, ratios, game -sizes and designs with no uniformity. So I came up with this way to make them all uniform, at the correct ratio, at full size without having to re-create each one individually one at a time. ( God knows how many hours it still took). The tradeoff is the artwork cutoff. 

I did spend a lot of time on a single bezel. But can't I now just copy and paste my adjusted ini file for all the other bezels (as they all seem to be the same size)? This way I can fix all the others too? 

1 hour ago, griffin518 said:
  1. Background - displays in full screen, whether the image fills the screen or not, behind all other elements
  2. Backdrop - displays behind the game screen ONLY (as mentioned, I just use MAME backdrops for this to keep things simple)
  3. Game display area - the emulator display, itself
  4. Bezel - displays in full screen, whether the image fills the screen or not, on top of all other elements - NEEDS A MATCHING INI FILE with coordinates to size the game display area

I haven't seen this explained so clearly elsewhere, thank you. 

8 minutes ago, extracampine said:

I did spend a lot of time on a single bezel. But can't I now just copy and paste my adjusted ini file for all the other bezels (as they all seem to be the same size)? This way I can fix all the others too? 

Lots and lots of bezels are unique, or at least unique to the author

Guest hellsing001

Extracampine

It took me about 3 weeks to find, cut, scale and paste the artwork in (817 bezels all done at 1920 x 1080 scale). Once you have a working template its quite quick.

You only really need two templates - one for horizontal and one for vertical games.

A couple should as Marble Madness and Wonderboy need some adjustments.

hellsing

Another query if I may. I think that I have the unified bezels for a bunch of MAME games. I currenlty have the game "Breakers" running as I would like it to look:

359yfiv.jpg

In the RocketLauncher bezels folder for this one there are 3 files:

1. Background - AlexDC22 Hzt (1).png
2. Bezel - Horizontal (1).ini
3. Bezel - Horizontal (1).png

I now think I know what these files do. There are also however 2 more files called Bezel - Horizontal (2).ini and Bezel - Horizontal (2).png which look identical to the first 2. Should these be in the folder or is this an anomaly?

Probably a duplicate as that's the naming convention that Windows uses when pasting in a folder with the same name.

Could just Cut it out and test again, if all turns to hell put it back and forget it ever happened... haha.

I tried moving both of the "bezel - horizontal.png" files out of the folder, one at a time to see what happens. Same thing happens if I remove either of these from the folder - no bezels load at all! So it seems that both are requied for the bezel to work with this game? Anyone know what is going on here? I'm looking for just one copy of each so that I can edit them!

18 hours ago, extracampine said:

Messing with the ini isn't the way to fix them. To proper way to fix them would be to put them into photoshop and re-size/re-work all the art so that it doesn't get cutoff with the game area at full size. You could adjust it as well using the ini with a less than perfect result, but each ini would only be good for any artwork created with exactly the same shape and ratio, with a new ini needed for every bezel and every creator that has it different.

8 hours ago, extracampine said:

I tried moving both of the "bezel - horizontal.png" files out of the folder, one at a time to see what happens. Same thing happens if I remove either of these from the folder - no bezels load at all! So it seems that both are requied for the bezel to work with this game? Anyone know what is going on here? I'm looking for just one copy of each so that I can edit them!

They aren't there on accident, I put them in for a reason. Without them RL can't cycle through multiple bezels per-game correctly. Without the duplicates you can't cycle in-game to the next bezel background because there would be no actual 2nd bezel to cycle to. And if you get to the part of the cycle with the bezel turned off (like you did) then there's no way to cycle the bezel back on again. This entire pack is very specifically designed around being unified and having a bunch of different bezels per game that can quickly be flipped through while you're playing. Changing any of it, removing any of it, or renaming any of it can keep it from working.

If you want to make your own bezels you should probably follow a more normal format like Griffins or Krakermans. Or go grab the originals that I used with there original naming and original ini files.

Archived