Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Playfield TV recommendations

connorsdad

I see most people are going for Samsung, is there any specific reason for this?

I have always purchased LG in the past, most recently an LG ips for my G4D cab, again is there any specific reason why people don't seem to be using these?

I'm looking to use a 42" or 46", do you guys have any recommendations for me please.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The bast advice I have read was

1, find a tv with auto on, or power button memory. (If you unplug the tv, will it turn back on when plugged in)

2, find a tv with game mode. Game mode reduced the picture to a 60hz signal, but improves response speed

3, find a tv with a tiny bezel. The edges of the tv should be small. It's easier to mount and might not need a slotted cabinet

Samsung and sony share a (screen panel) manufacturing plant. The electronics are different, but the screen dimensions should be the same.

New LG tvs have really small bezel so they should be fine too

I went with the LG 42LN5700. I'm gonna crack open the box and give it a test this weekend so I'll let you know how it is. I found 42's are pretty slim in selection when I was looking.. pretty much a toss up between LG and Vizio. You have a better selection in 46" and you can go Samsung etc but then all depends on your cab size. I don't have the tools or the woodworking skills to either slot a cab or build my own so I ended up going for the more realistic (for me) 42".

• 2 weeks later...
Just got the TV plugged in THIS weekend when I got my build started. Picture is good, viewing angles are good but on the downside, looks like it will not automatically turn on when powered.

Don't get too worried - there are options if you can't get the TV to power up automatically. Some people just keep the remotes handy and turn them on manually, but I'm a little too picky to put up with that myself. A second option seems to be to use an IR blaster - there's a thread on that if you want to look into it. My own solution is much simpler (and cheaper - about $5 in parts). To use my solution, you need a monitor with a physical on/off button on the monitor itself (not just the remote), and you need to decase the monitor. First step is to identify the on/off button after decasing. Next, solder wires to the terminals of the button. Once you do that, you can trigger it with an external circuit - all you have to do is briefly connect the wires together to simulate a button push. You can do this manually by running the wires to a pushbutton that you mount on the bottom of the case, but again, I wanted a fully automatic solution, so I didn't go that route. Instead, I built a little timer circuit that waits about 5 seconds after the PC power comes on, then trips a relay for ~100ms. I connected the wires I added to the monitor on/off buttons to the relay. So when you turn on the PC, the monitors automatically turn on a few seconds later. The initial delay is necessary on my monitors because they have a little boot delay when you plug them in during which they're not responsive to any control inputs; that might not be necessary with your monitors. I can post a schematic of the circuit if you're interested. It's a two-stage 555 circuit; the first 555 provides the initial 5-second delay when the whole thing initially gets power, and triggers the second 555 at the end of the delay; the second 555 pulses the relay. The second 555 is there so the relay is only turned on briefly, since I needed to simulate a momentary push of the button. You just need the two 555s, the relay, and a handful of resistors and capacitors if you want to build one yourself.

That's bad :(

No option in the menu anywhere, as in energy saving or something to that effect ?

Messed around with it a little more last night with the smart power strip and fared a little better. Provided it is powered off by the strip and not the power button it will kick back on when everything is powered up again :D

I've just fitted a LG 39LN5400 to an old Zaccaria cabinet.

More than happy with the tv, easy to decase, IPS panel, extremely low input lag in game mode and it's a perfect size for a standard body cab (no routing required).

Any chance of a couple of photos ?

Currently restoring a zaccaria but once I've had my fun I'll be converting it to a vpin.

I've just fitted a LG 39LN5400 to an old Zaccaria cabinet.

More than happy with the tv, easy to decase, IPS panel, extremely low input lag in game mode and it's a perfect size for a standard body cab (no routing required).

I see the only way of connecting to this screen is via hdmi, is this the best way to connect?

Seems cheap enough if it is any good for a vpin.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived