Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Creating Android apps wheel

Happyhammer7

Hi all,

First post here. Need some help. Tried a lot of research into this and read up a lot and I know I am missing something.

I am trying to create a wheel in Hyperspin for Android apps and games. I have created the main menu android theme, which shows up.

However, when I click it, it crashes back to the Nvidia Shield main menu.

I have an android.ini file under settings_android which is as follows - 

[exe info]
path=
rompath=
userompath=true
exe=
romextension=
parameters=
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=true
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true

Under databases folder, I have an Android folder and inside that, I have an android.xml file as follows - 

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<menu>
    <header>
        <listname>Android</listname>
        <lastlistupdate>09/23/2014</lastlistupdate>
        <listversion>.001</listversion>
        <exporterversion>Manually exported</exporterversion>
    </header>

<game name="org.xbmc.kodi" index="" image="">
        <description>Kodi</description>
        <cloneof></cloneof>
        <crc></crc>
        <manufacturer>DotEmu</manufacturer>
        <year>2015</year>
        <genre>Adventure</genre>
        <rating>Google Play - Low Maturity</rating>
        <enabled>Yes</enabled>
    </game>
</menu>

I have Kodi installed and I have just used this as a test run. However, as mentioned, it crashes straight back to the shield main menu.

I have setup new systems on the Shield before but this one I just cannot work out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Off hand it sounds right.

double check your naming and capitals.

if you listed it as Android in the main Menu.xml

then your folders, database and ini should be named Android not android

there are a couple of threads in this forum. Specifically Honosuseri made a thread with some assets in recently

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

Off hand it sounds right.

double check your naming and capitals.

if you listed it as Android in the main Menu.xml

then your folders, database and ini should be named Android not android

there are a couple of threads in this forum. Specifically Honosuseri made a thread with some assets in recently

Well I sorted it.

I copied the media folder structure from another system into the android media folder, but some media files were still in there. Appears that ever was in there, was incompatible with the android system and crashing when launching  android from the main menu.

Thought I would post it just in case someone else makes a similar error.

6 hours ago, thatman84 said:

There are a couple of threads in this forum. Specifically Honosuseri made a thread with some assets in recently

I think it's in my Hono's Shield TV setup thread. I don't want to spam the forum with new topics, so try to keep much of what I do in there. 

I did give you all the assets I made for Android but you might have lost them when you changed over the FTP.

@ OP. Yes some theme.zips are not compatible on Android. Its down to the swf files contained in them but you can "fix" them. Been there done that checking all the unique themes for the mame games and others.

I don't personally have SPMC/Kodi on my android wheel, as I actually launch Hyperspin from within SPMC. I skinned it with custom shortcuts and wallpapers to replace the STV's stock homescreen. 

All the best with your setup, we'd love to see it

11 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

I think it's in my Hono's Shield TV setup thread. I don't want to spam the forum with new topics, so try to keep much of what I do in there. 

I did give you all the assets I made for Android but you might have lost them when you changed over the FTP.

@ OP. Yes some theme.zips are not compatible on Android. Its down to the swf files contained in them but you can "fix" them. Been there done that checking all the unique themes for the mame games and others.

I don't personally have SPMC/Kodi on my android wheel, as I actually launch Hyperspin from within SPMC. I skinned it with custom shortcuts and wallpapers to replace the STV's stock homescreen. 

All the best with your setup, we'd love to see it

Thanks mate and I have actually read through a lot of your posts, very informative.

Proper learning curve with Hyperspin. It can be infuriating but ever so rewarding when you overcome its challenges.

one thing you may be able to help me with is themeing. I don’t realise that the themes aren’t 1080p. It seems that the resolution is set at 1024x768 (seems to be a hyperspin default)

I take it the HyperTheme app does not support 1080p theming?

I am also going to build a fully fledged gaming HTPC and will be migrating my setup over to that eventually.

Don't think of it as resolution, think aspect ratio. 4:3 is the standard as many of the classic games are in this format, so we would ideally use 4:3 monitors. 

16:9 is what most monitors and TVs are today. Purists will still play at 4:3 and use borders/bezels to fill in the black bars at the side of the wide-screen display. 

There is already a thread about converting themes to 16:9. I'm sure you'll find it now you know what to look for, sorry I can't provide a link. 

I'm currently out in Latvia on a 50m long motor boat, refitting it as a luxury yacht. My free time is limited, as is my Internet connection but I'm still trying to help as and when I can. 

All the best

Archived