Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

djreddog

Been awhile, roughly 6 years. I setup a couple of systems back in 2013 and I haven't touched them since. Both systems have and continue to work fine for the most part (sometimes when I leave the system running I get the Flash ! error). Other than that, no issues. I currently have Hyper HQ controlling everything and I'm currently running MAME and Daphne.

However, with the COVID-19 work from home restrictions in place, I finally have the time and energy to get Amiga running. I started following the Amiga tutorial from this site and everything was going good until it got to the section where I needed Rocketlauncher and that is when I found out RL doesn't work with 1.3.0, unless I missed something.

So my question is, I want to ultimately get Amiga, NES, and SNES running. Do I stick with my 1.3.0 setup or do I upgrade or do a fresh install to get to 1.51?

Yeah it's a good time to work on your arcade as well as staying well. 

In your case I would start a new install and leave the old stuff alone until you copy over to ROMs or point to them in the paths. 

Head to the tutorials and follow the video guides which were recorded by Avar. They should get mame setup and he also did a Amiga guide as well. 

With that done you will be able to setup other systems on your own or search for emulator specific issues. 

I would update MAME, there have been some huge improvements since 0.145. However (!) I would follow his wigglyness' advice and upgrade HS + RL first, point them to your existing MAME install and get that working first. The new version of MAME + ROMs will just be a drop in after that point.

OK I got MAME and NES working ok. I tried to setup Amiga but failed, I'll come back to that later. My next step in this rebuild process was to download and run HyperSync, but no luck. Are there issues with HyperSync? 

First issue is when I extract it, I got an error "unknown method in HyperSync Cloud.exe.

I tried to ignore the error and launched the Cloud.exe and I get Cloud.exe is not a valid win32 application.

Any help appreciated. 

HyperSync worked like a charm. Moving on to setting up Amiga now. Getting conflicting information from reading different threads on this forum. In order to get the Amiga ROMS to work, do you need the "rom.key" file which technically only comes from purchasing Amiga Forever?

33 minutes ago, djreddog said:

HyperSync worked like a charm. Moving on to setting up Amiga now. Getting conflicting information from reading different threads on this forum. In order to get the Amiga ROMS to work, do you need the "rom.key" file which technically only comes from purchasing Amiga Forever?

Did you get that info from the tutorial? You can get the Kickstart roms from elsewhere and you normally need more than just the one if you want to emulate CD32 as well.

Archived