Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

HyperSpin 2.0 Idea

Tribe Fan

I've been messing with various frontends and got to thinking about old reliable HyperSpin. I find theme creation in a lot of the newer front ends to be way too overwhelming. I think a cool feature to include in some new iteration of HyperSpin would be the ability to choose a default theme type where you could choose between a default arcade theme, HTPC theme, Cinematic theme, etc. After choosing a theme type, you could have the option to change colors, backgrounds, assets, etc. on the fly (in a way, integrating a dumbed down form of hypertheme directly into HyperSpin). For example, you could have a system theme that by default shows a certain color background, a system image, two character images, etc. With my idea, you could press a theme edit button and cycle through different character assets, background assets, sound assets, etc. on the fly. This would make "theme creation" much more accessible to the average person and enable users to spice up the look of the front end quickly without having to mess around with a lot of behind the scenes hassle.

It's nice you like Hyperspin even though you tried different frontends.
Since I started using HS back in 2015 I never tried other softwares, mainly because I already went so far creating media here and customizing themes, filling lots of gaps. I got used to the local databases, media creation in general, even videos, I recorded a lot myself.
In the process, I had lots of ideas, some like yours, specially regarding theme creation, etc.
Personally, Hyperspin works flawlessly in my PC, but I wouldn't wait for anything to change for the time being, there's little to none information about any progress or upcoming release, even some fixes were addressed mostly by users, like the latest Windows 10 update which broke HS functionality. 

Hypertheme itself was broken for a few years until I realized that I had to have a "MAME" folder in the media directory, empty, it just has to be there, otherwise HT would open a blank window. I'm just a regular user and I figured it out observing that HT always had a MAME system in its themes list.

For you, a content creator, I understand what you're saying. Just don't keep any expectations and use the software as it is. If you create new media, themes, etc, keep the sources, in case of an update, you can always come back to them and use higher quality assets to a possible updated frontend.

I read some salty comments here and there, but, personally I think it's still a solid software, it's by far one of those you basically have to manually add stuff, learn how it works and etc. For instance, Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force was released for the Mega Drive/Gen recently, I manually added it to the database, logo, cart and box.

• 1 month later...

Archived