Hardware advice for Bartop Arcade

gunit

Hi guys, I have been researching all the hardware I will need to play classic games of the 90's and more modern ones like SF x Tekken. I'm trying to keep the budget to a minimum and not go overkill as I already own a custom built gaming PC.

Here is the shopping list:-

PSU = Corsair CS450M Power supply, 80 PLUS Gold, semi Modular = £50

CPU = Intel Core i3 4130 3.40GHz Socket 1150 3MB Cache = £82

Intel Motherboard = ASRock B85M-ITX (Socket 1150/B87/DDR3/S-ATA 600/Mini ITX) = £60

Memory = Corsair Vengeance 4GB Memory Module PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM (Blue) = £32

Hard drive = Kingston 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA3 2.5" 7MM solid state drive = £90

GPU =

Asus GT 640 2GB GDDR3 1782MHz DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card = £70

OR

MSI N650TI-1GD5V1, GeForce GTX 650 Ti|1024 MB|GDDR5-SDRAM = £75

Total cost = £385 - ( I would ideally like to be around the 300 for the hardware)

What do you think guys ? graphics card over kill ? smaller gb hard-drive ? anything else ? or maybe I need to spend more ? look forward to your responses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAME alone needs about 355GB if you use the split set and CHDs so you'll definitely need a big hard drive in addition to the SSD if you want to go for the full monty. You could always add it later though and stick with the basic ROMs to start with.

Hi, Gunit..

the 650ti would be the better choice of card, for Hard disks i would recommend a 120GB SSD for system files (windows, Hyperspin, emulators and videos). also pickup a 1TB drive for roms. (the full set of mame as Araajag says is 355GB - TBH i only play a couple of hundred.. 14,000+ is total overkill)

megadrive is around 600mb, N64 & snes will fit on a couple of gig.

the big ones are Dreamcast and Playstation 1 (each iso can be up to CD size) pick about 20- 30 games from each system and you should be OK.

a 1TB drive should cover all of your needs (unless you want to have complete sets of systems, rather than the games you are likely to want to play)

ok changed to 64 gb ssd and a 1tb sata for roms, which works out about £72 so cheaper. Still need to save about £65, I wonder if I can get a cheaper gpu that is good enough ? cheaper brand of ram ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just thought of something... When I built my current PC last year I bought a ready-made bundle of mobo, overclocked CPU, cooler and memory from Scan that worked out cheaper than buying the individual components and assembling them myself.

I can't remember what the difference was but it was enough to make me double check my figures to see if I'd missed something. Might be worth you having a look at their bundles to see if you can save some money that way. I for one will certainly be doing the same next time the need arises!

Archived