Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Deleting .zipped files based on XML updates?

TommyTutone

I, like I'm sure many of you, have deleted several fruit machines and games that cannot be played on my cabinet that I am close to finishing up. To get rid of these games from appearing in Hyperspin, I am updating the mame.xml file that lists the games and deleting the records of those unplayable and unwanted from there.

What I would like to do from there, however, is find an automated way to reconcile the .z7 ROMs with the .xml file, deleting all of the ones I do not want. My hard drive space is tight and as such, I'm using an external hard drive to host the ROMs (yes, I know I can install a new hard drive, but would rather not if this will work) and would hopefully clear up enough space to move everything over to the smaller internal hard drive.

Assuming any of what I wrote makes sense to anyone else, is there an automated solution to cleaning up the junk, so to speak?

I made something similar for myself a while back, but I ended up needing to redownload my roms because I deleted some bios files. bios files aren't in the xml. I ended up instead of deleting them as you suggested, move the unwanted ones to a separate folder and testing all my games to make sure I didn't make a mistake like I did last time.

There's not really a quick and easy solution to this.

There was some application that could clean stuff up based on your lists. Can't think of the name of it. Was used by people who only wanted a few games out of a set. It's not a tool I'd use so never grabbed it.

If it was me I'd take the XML make a list then use DirPrintAdv to make a list of the files I had then run a delete script against the two based on the removal of duplicates. But I'm a scripter so only a geek would do this.

this might be the tool for you

http://emumovies.com/forums/index.php/files/file/1174-hyperspin-asset-xml-audit/

this program will move ANY file in a folder (zipped or not) to an unknown sub-folder; if the named of the file does not match a game name found in your XML.

only draw back is that YOU have to make your own XML. If you already have an XML that lists the games you want, then it will be the perfect tool for you.

Archived