Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Will my System run well?

Ridu83

Hello, i am building a bartop out of some old computer parts which are left over from my last pc.

It´s like:

ASROCK G31M-GS R2.0

2 Gig G-Skill DDR2 800

Intel E8400 3.0GhZ DualCore

700W BeQuiet

Geforce 650 GTX

I want to play everything till dreamcast. maybe some PC-Games like Mortal Kombat.

Do you think this sxstem will be enough or should i replace the 2GB ram with 4 or 8?

Thanks for your answers

Hello, i am building a bartop out of some old computer parts which are left over from my last pc.

It´s like:

ASROCK G31M-GS R2.0

2 Gig G-Skill DDR2 800

700W BeQuiet

Geforce 650 GTX

I want to play everything till dreamcast. maybe some PC-Games like Mortal Kombat.

Do you think this sxstem will be enough or should i replace the 2GB ram with 4 or 8?

Thanks for your answers

That's a mirror of my new bartop system I just set up last week! Only thing is I added another 2 gigs of ram. I think it helped with Hyperspin animations but I thought it ran fine before with 2 gigs.

I am running MAME, Dreamcast, SNES, NES, Genesis, Game Boy, Atari 2600, N64, and PS1. The 3D games on MAME can be a little rough but when I see problems with processing, I usually look for Dreamcast, N64, or PS1 alternatives since they support graphics cards. I see them run faster and less pixelated. Most of the MAME games I want to play aren't 3D anyways.

Good luck with getting Hyperspin set up! For what you're looking to do I think your system will work great. Happy to answer any questions about how particular games or systems perform.

EDIT: Put an SSD in there, it's worth it for the quick boot up alone :)

4gb is enough, also because ddr2 basically cost twice as ddr3 these days. 4gb will help with windows gaming.

Mortal Kombat Komplete has a big problem: it does not drop frames, if your cpu can't render 60fps it will slow down. My q6600 gtx660 can run it flawlessly but if it's one of the games having problems with only 2 cores it may slow down a bit.

Don't expect pcsx2, demul and dolphin being at 100% with every games; some of them will be playable, some won't.

Sadly with that motherboard chipset and a 1333hmz cpu I guess you can't overclock, e8400s reach interesting frequencies :D

this is exactly the setup i put together a few months ago except with a geforce 610, runs pretty much everything awesome but id replace the motherboard... you can't overclock with it and it will frustrate you when a game runs at 98% speed lol "i just need to push it a little...farther.....NOPE"

It´s like:

ASROCK G31M-GS R2.0

2 Gig G-Skill DDR2 800

700W BeQuiet

Geforce 650 GTX

I want to play everything till dreamcast. maybe plr some PC-Games like Mortal Kombat.

Thanks for your answers

4 GB ram is a must, and everything else looks fine to me. :)

Upgrade to an absolute minimum of 4GB of RAM. Also, since this a bartop you will be running off of an LCD display. As such, you should enable HLSL settings which replicate the look of playing off an old arcade CRT. HLSL looks makes those games truly come alive again and I recommend them to be switched on. But until the guys on the MAME Dev Team optimize that code, we will all experience some issues with HLSL settings turned on.

Here are the settings borrowed from another person on the Shmump forum that I feel are the best for HLSL: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/File:Mame_hlsl_jezze_cools.zip

• 1 month later...

Archived