Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Retrocade - bartop

mikekim

I would like to start by thanking the entire community for all the infomation I have gathered about this project over the past month. the wealth of information available here is phenominal. thank you all.

right, on to business.. this is my first post, so bear with me if I ramble a bit..

After looking at some fo the fantastic projects showcased here I thought it was time to build my own system. I have been dabbling with mame since 0.32b, but never really progressed further than just playing them on my pc. I don't have space for a full size machine, so when I saw some of the bartops here I thought it was about time to start my own project.

I purchased the kit that quite a few members here are building - the one supplied from tinyarcades.co.uk. I asked for the control panel to be non drilled, as I was unsure of the final layout. when the kit arrived two blank panels arrived, so I have a spare for an alternate layout (if required)

I have also replaced the perspex monitor screen with 4mm Glass, as the original scratched far too easily.

here is my kit list

Tiny Arcades bartop kit - non drilled contol panel (4mm glass to replace screen)

19" Sony X-Black monitor - de-cased

Intel Core i3-2120 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail

Asus P8H61-I Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

PNY GTX460 1GB GFX card

BeQuiet Pure Power L8 530W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply

Corsair Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz

G-Skill 64GB 2.5” SSD

Samsung 1TB 2.5” HD

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Xebec 500mm LED Strip – White x2

Sanwa Joystick JLW-UM-8 x2

Happ competition buttons

Minipac 32 input USB

Ultimarc blind hole kit for joysticks x2

I have attached some photos of the current progress, in the shots the photos are taken with X-arcade sticks, which i have since replaced for Sanwa's. I will be theming the cab with a variation on the classic space invaders artwork. (the marquee design photo is attached.) The marquee is illuminated via the 2x LED strips (running off 12x psu power)

the system boots into hyperspin from power on (Via the illuminated front button wired direct into the motherboard) in about 6-7 seconds and runs really well. I will be looking to run the following systems:

Mame

Neo Geo

Nintendo 64

Daphne

Dreamcast

Genesis

Sega CD

32X

PS One

any comments / tips would be welcome..

post-46343-142870574456_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574693_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574701_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574705_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574708_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574714_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574725_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574736_thumb.jpg

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

started spraying the glass bezel and cab today.

using plasticote matt black & frog tape as per Chunksin's recomendation.

I have also attached the final details of the side and control panel artwork.

the left and right sides will be a mirror image (most of the empty Blue space will be cut out due to the side shape of the cab)

if I have measured correctly the image should flow continuously from the control panel, to the front panel.

post-46343-142870574737_thumb.jpg

post-46343-14287057474_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574742_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574744_thumb.jpg

post-46343-142870574746_thumb.jpg

Hi

Love the cab. Ive been lurking around for a while. Ive bought all my bits etc and have my doner pc set up with hyperspin ready to go. i plan on a bartop similar to yours which i presume is based on the weecade. my question is do you think id be able to fit a full size atx motherboard inside, and if not how much more room do you think id need..

Think i might have to make a mockup out of cardboard first.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Have you had the CPO printed yet..? I only ask because it looks kinda wrong where you've placed the P1 & P2 layout over character images...

I'd suggest using the background with the monsters and space ships - i.e; plain blue with the horizontal white stripes. And then put your instructions/button layout back over the top...

Just a suggestion, but I think It'll look way cooler like that...

Have you had the CPO printed yet..? I only ask because it looks kinda wrong where you've placed the P1 & P2 layout over character images...

I'd suggest using the background with the monsters and space ships - i.e; plain blue with the horizontal white stripes. And then put your instructions/button layout back over the top...

Just a suggestion, but I think It'll look way cooler like that...

Adam,

the cp hasn't been printed yet, so it shouldn't be a problem to change.

Hi

Love the cab. Ive been lurking around for a while. Ive bought all my bits etc and have my doner pc set up with hyperspin ready to go. i plan on a bartop similar to yours which i presume is based on the weecade. my question is do you think id be able to fit a full size atx motherboard inside, and if not how much more room do you think id need..

Think i might have to make a mockup out of cardboard first.

Richie,

this is a slightly different design to the Weecade.

I should be able to scan in some measurements of the plans, the only dimensions missing are the sides on the instructions.

the unit base is 470mm x 230mm for reference.

post-46343-142870574767_thumb.jpg

Adam,

the cp hasn't been printed yet, so it shouldn't be a problem to change.

Richie,

this is a slightly different design to the Weecade.

I should be able to scan in some measurements of the plans, the only dimensions missing are the sides on the instructions.

the unit base is 470mm x 230mm for reference.

Thanks a scan would be great, id like to keep the same proportions youve got but i think ill need to add a few inches on all dimentions. i could mount the power supply on the side above the motherboard and have the whole base for the motherboard.

Thanks for the tip adam..its a duel core duo 2.5g no overclock. Im hopeing to cram in a fan controller that ive got spare that will hopefully ramp the fan speeds up and down as needed. Ill be posting a build thread when i finally get started so if theres fire then ill hopefully get some pics!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update of work so far:

Major progress today......

The artwork has arrived. Many thanks to Lucian045 for all his work with printing and prompt shipping, a fantastic service that for anyone looking for artwork printing for their cabs.

I have also finally gotten around to sorting out all the Megadrive (Genesis), Playstation and Dreamcast roms that will be run in my cab (around 50 for each system).

So hopefully i should have it pretty much finished by the weekend.

post-46343-142870574792_thumb.jpg

Guest mrbell1984

Ah mike. Is it possible to have a copy of your control panel decals please? I was unsure how to start since you have the same control panel layout as me it would help a lot.

I am going to share my artwork in my thread and once I am done make a long write up.

Thanks mate.

Mrbell,

I can upload a photoshop template for you to use. You will need to move the button layer slightly as my panel arrived blank (on request) as at the time i wasn't sure what layout i was going to use.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking bartop. Great for placing it on your kitchen, bedroom, or office. I'd also assume that the smaller screen would give you a better ability to focus on your hitbox in DoDonPachi DaiOuJou. My Bigger Monitor isn't neccisarily the best bet for things like Hibachi / Death label.

Guest mrbell1984

ah damn! I wish I requested mine to be blank. Mine come pre-drilled. I tried to contact the developer of the kit but got no reply regards to the panel layout designs!

ah damn! I wish I requested mine to be blank. Mine come pre-drilled. I tried to contact the developer of the kit but got no reply regards to the panel layout designs!

You could always plug the holes then when covered with your artwork you'd never know. Screw thin ply underneath and fill top with wood filler...

Wow mike. I think this is the best looking bartop I've seen. artwork really brings it to life. job well done !!

Where did you put your speakers??

Also how are you controlling volume..

Speakers are mounted inside the cab. I went with some usb speakers. they sound quite good considering the size of them. http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHANNEL-Aluminium-Portable-Computer-required/dp/B00409GNUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332095619&sr=8-3

Volume is controlled via the Player 1 joystick up/down (shifted)

Archived