Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Retrocade - bartop

mikekim

Thanks for the pdf, I would love the psd as well. I have 0 woodworking skill so my step dad (1000 miles away) has offered to take up the project for me and bring it up next time they come up to visit. Do you think a 60 yr old man that dont know crap about arcades but great with woodworking will be able to handle me just handing him a print out of this pdf and saying good luck? haha.

Thanks again :)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the pdf, I would love the psd as well. I have 0 woodworking skill so my step dad (1000 miles away) has offered to take up the project for me and bring it up next time they come up to visit. Do you think a 60 yr old man that dont know crap about arcades but great with woodworking will be able to handle me just handing him a print out of this pdf and saying good luck? haha.

Thanks again :)

getting the wood cut is no big problem - all the cuts are pretty straightforward, the problem however (as Richie mentioned in the previous post) is getting the items to fit.

it all really depends on what size motherboard you are using - I used a mini ATX board and had no space problems what so ever.

20120131204413.jpg

mini atx motherboard link

insidej.jpg

cardhk.jpg

however, not many people have these lying around. best bet would be to make a cardboard template of the pieces and see if all of your items fit inside, before getting the wood cut.

getting the wood cut is no big problem - all the cuts are pretty straightforward, the problem however (as Richie mentioned in the previous post) is getting the items to fit.

it all really depends on what size motherboard you are using - I used a mini ATX board and had no space problems what so ever.

however, not many people have these lying around. best bet would be to make a cardboard template of the pieces and see if all of your items fit inside, before getting the wood cut.

Thanks for the pics and the idea on the itx board. this is what I am thinking about... I have yet to fig out the vid card or monitor. thoughts?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=28864008

Thanks so much! I am actually buying the parts after the fact (sold my last build since never got around to making the arcade after my son was born, he is now 2) So should not be any problems as I can buy the parts to suit the build at that point :)

Thank you so much Mike, totally appreciated.

I have had a bit of a result, my brother is chief graphic designer at a sign company and said he will draw up the plans on Corel and cut the pieces from MDF on the companies CNC machinery, he is also printing all the artwork for me on laminated vinyl as they have the equipment for that too at a total cost of zero pence. Just ordered a low profile radeon for my sff pc and have yet to get the ipac2 and buttons but I am super excited aabout getting started on this and my total build costs will be well under £270, not bad for a 3ghz core2duo with a radeon 6570 which will be more than enough for what I want to emulate! :D

I also figure that maybe temperatures will be lower in an MDF cab as opposed to a PVC one, I could have it all cut out of PVC if I wanted but heat worries me. Also my brother told me that the vinyl printing costs about £30 to £40 a square metre and the machine prints on upto 1600mm wide material, I don't know how this equates to what others are paying but I am looking forwards to getting mine done gratis. Should be super high quality as the company he works for do work for Airports and most of the retail sector!

Thanks for the artwork files! I modified them for you on my template which is based off of the original wee-cade side profile.

Can you tell me how you decided to run the power cord? did you cut the rear panel for the power supply exhaust to flush up or is it recessed inside and did you just drill a hole for the power cord? Also, on these kits you guys are using for the panels - is the bottom only the rear-most 75% of the base? under the control panel is technically wide open?

Eric

Thanks for the artwork files! I modified them for you on my template which is based off of the original wee-cade side profile.

Can you tell me how you decided to run the power cord? did you cut the rear panel for the power supply exhaust to flush up or is it recessed inside and did you just drill a hole for the power cord? Also, on these kits you guys are using for the panels - is the bottom only the rear-most 75% of the base? under the control panel is technically wide open?

Eric

I used an iec connector for the power, mounted flush with the rear of the case. Joined to this I have the two power leads ( cut to the correct size).

The psu is inside, heat is not a problem in my cab.

You are correct that the front section of the underside is open.

This allows adjustment of the joysticks for 4/8 way operation without having to take the control panel off the cab.

Sent from my mind, using the psychic friends network..

Thanks again.

How likely do you think it would be that the system would overheat if the bottom was solid? Do you think it would need a fan in that case or just a few holes to breathe? My mini ITX system is very similar to yours but my overall internal space is slightly smaller. I'll be using magstik plus joysticks so I won't need access under the CP in my case.

Eric

Ah, I see. I was going to recess all my panels about 12mm from the side panel edges as is typically done with a full size unit. This would include the bottom so the unit would hold itself up only by the side panels like a sled on it's rails. This would allow an intake fan to be bottom mounted and exhaust fans to be top/rear mounted if I like to help heat rise up and out of the case.

I didn't buy the kit or follow the plans that you guys have. I just borrowed the side profile from the official "Wee-Cade" project, sized it how I like and then drew up the rest on my own.

Eric

Thanks again.

How likely do you think it would be that the system would overheat if the bottom was solid? Do you think it would need a fan in that case or just a few holes to breathe? My mini ITX system is very similar to yours but my overall internal space is slightly smaller. I'll be using magstik plus joysticks so I won't need access under the CP in my case.

Eric

Holes would probably be fine.

I put 4 25mm holes in lower by the motherboard and 3 25mm holes behind the screen.

The only way to really test is to run the cab for an extended period of time, and monitor the internal temperatures.

Mike, I have downloaded all of your photoshop cabinet art files and was wondering, do I just have these vinyl printed at the exact size they are? I am assuming that you left the odd 1cm each side of the control panel and marquee as overhang and if I do have these printed at the sizes they are I am also assuming that the button and joystick holes will be the correct size. I don't want to go and resize everything to find that nothing fits! :D

Cheers

Thank you for all your help Mike, this community is amazing. Hopefully getting all my vinyl printed today and my brother managed to to draw up plans in corel ready for cutting, for the control panel he just had to drop a 470x175mm outline over the control panel and place 28mm holes over your existing button placements, took him seconds. Can't wait to start building! ;)

post-69112-142870581641_thumb.jpg

I'm so excited, my brother just dropped my vinyl off after work, printed at 600dpi and laminated, phone camera picture is a bit naff but you get the idea. I had the power button removed from the front and kept the original joystick surround designs, in the flesh it looks awesome, cabinet is going to be cut out tomorrow and I really can't wait to get started. I have all the components except for the cabinet itself! :D

Tonight I am scouring the internet for original Donkey Kong arcade artwork as my brother is going to custom design me a full set of vinyls incase I ever want to switch out the entire design.

Looks good :)

I see you kept the original outline around the buttons. It will be nice to see how they look when installed on the cab.

You might need a custom cp design, which extends down covering the front panel in one graphic, as these originals where designed for the tiny arcades kit which are two seperate pieces with overlapping sections.

I'm going to attach a wooden lip under the control panel and have the edge routed so that the control and front panels mimic the tinyarcades cab. I'm having an aluminium sheet overlaying the controls before I apply the vinyls, should add a bit of extra strength.

I really liked your original control designs Mike that is why they were kept. I think it will look great and it isn't like the cabinet is devoid of the invaders motif! ;)

I think it's a stunning design and even if mine ends up looking like a poor cousin I know I will be happy. Doing it on a shoestring budget is very rewarding though.

Archived