Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Horror Comic Inspired Build

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the progression on your cab is happening so quickly! Putting me to shame! Ahaha. :)

Do you know the inner width dimensions of your cab, where the monitor goes? I played around with some 32" LCD screens in case I decided to ditch the idea of putting a CRT in mine but none seemed to fit. My dimensions were as wide as I could go if I still wanted to be able to fit the cab through a standard doorway (only by a few mm's it now fits!)

My question about the width of your cab also relates to, can you fit your cab through a door??

Love your work!

My question about the width of your cab also relates to, can you fit your cab through a door??

The width between the top side panels is 32". I have 36" entry doors on my house, and a 36" opening going into my home theater room where the cab will reside.

If/when I sell this place and move, I'll have to make sure my new home has wide enough doors for this beast, haha.

Its a good idea to know where the cabinet will go and how the cabinet will get there. I have toyed around with the idea of the ultimate arcade plans and they didn't seem to work where I live. I am going to do a viewlix clone for my cabinet. I just need to know how I want the cabinet to look. But Luckily I have time because I want to get the pc and setup done first before i do any cabinetry.

I didn't get much accomplished today, really. I got frustrated trying to come up with a way to mount my 32" monitor, so I just gave up and came home. At least the little bit of work I accomplished came out nice looking. Frog tape is the best stuff in the world. 4 coats of black spray paint was all it took, haha.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I got your email IronRachel, ill email you back in the morning when I get to work. As far as mounting your screen, I removed almost 2 inches of width to my monitor by removing the bezel, this will allow your LCD to sit more inside or flush, then if you have VESA mount holes in the back they should still be there attached to the frame to use a VESA mount. I usually have a board mounted horizontal inside the cab to mount the VESA mount too. If that samsung doesnt work for you then walmart has a 32" that is just as cheap and the plastic bezel removes in just minutes, and the frame of the LCD has screw holes on each corner making it easy to mount.

32inchMVS1.jpg

As far as mounting your screen, I removed almost 2 inches of width to my monitor by removing the bezel, this will allow your LCD to sit more inside or flush, then if you have VESA mount holes in the back they should still be there attached to the frame to use a VESA mount.

The monitor I purchased has a VESA mounting setup, and it actually fits inside the cabinet quite nicely. I just had a frustrating day with the "day job", I guess you could call it. One of my fellow comic writers is being an absolute turd to me, and it's for the stupidest reason. Anyway, it all just added up to me getting easily frustrated and giving up instead of sticking to it and finding a mounting solution. I'm sure I'll have it all figured tomorrow.

I look forward to the reply email!

Found a mounting solution for the monitor finally, and the thing sits in there pretty as can be. Also got the bezel cut to size and put in place. I can't wait to take that damned protective coating off so it doesn't look so dirty and grungy. I'm gonna wait until the very end to remove it, just so I don't run the risk of scratching the plexi all to hell.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

oh ok I saw this at home depot for like 20$ or so I thought everyone was using some like 3/8-1/2 thick stuff to which I haven't been able to find around here. so this is good news.

Clear or smoked?

Yeah, this was like $19.98 at Lowes. It's totally clear. When the monitor is turned off, everything inside looks plenty dark, so I didn't see the need for smoked. If you plan to do the painted plexi bezel, make SURE you get the frog tape. That stuff is a life saver when it comes to a project like this.

Removed the gross plastic film from the bezel, and it looks SO much better! Also tried out the monitor, and installed the marquee light. I get to pick up my CPO art tomorrow, and then I start drilling some holes for buttons!

Does anyone know if it would be okay to drill a 1 1/8" hole for a Sanwa JLF stick, or should I try to adhere to the 24mm suggestion?

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Some more progress. Used forstner bits to drill the CP holes. Used a RotoZip to rough out the holes in the plexi, so that we could get the flush mount laminate router bit in there and finish it off. Also used the RotoZip to help install the slightly recessed hinges for the CP box. And we FINALLY have some artwork!

Unfortunately, I have to rebuild the %$#&!@* control panel box tomorrow because I didn't move the joysticks and buttons in enough, and there's not enough room inside. Live and learn, I suppose.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

If you go this route make sure the whole cabinet has dots including side and marquee so the style fits.

Nice work so far.

So, as I mentioned before, I have a contact who was able to scan the original cover art that I want to use for my sides and CPO. He scanned the images at 1200 DPI and sent them over. Since these magazines were printed in the 70s, they used dot patterns instead of solid areas of color. This is a closeup of the image, zoomed in to 75% to show the dot pattern.

All that said, do you guys think this will make for a nice print, or is it gonna look like crap?

artcloseup.jpg

If you go this route make sure the whole cabinet has dots including side and marquee so the style fits.

Nice work so far.

I actually printed the CPO already, and you can see the dots, but they're not distracting. If you view it from a distance, you can hardly even tell it has a dot pattern at all. The whole thing is going to look really good when I get all of the artwork printed.

Right now, there's a $1,200 shipping bill staring me down, so it's gonna be a while before I can finance the art. I gotta send out issues of my comic, so I can keep the day job thing going.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the crap quality on these pictures, but I finally received the marquee, joysticks, and buttons! All that remains now is the side art, IPAC, and LEDWiz. I am selling my comic and signing at a convention in Chicago this weekend, so maybe I'll make enough scratch to buy those last few components! Here's hoping!

post-49800-14287057524_thumb.jpg

post-49800-142870575232_thumb.jpg

post-49800-142870575236_thumb.jpg

post-49800-142870575239_thumb.jpg

Archived