Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

SORHP's Mid-Sized Versus machine

SORHP

EDIT: Go here to see progress of the build...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sorhp/sets/72157629793066224/

I have to give a shout out to Koolbrez! and RidicRick!

dude your'e nintendo vs theme was the inspiration behind this build, it took over a year, and I almost didn't finish it, I put the cab in storage for 6 months, and then one day I was back in HS and played some Rush-n-Attack in your Nintendo theme, and it brought me back to wanting to finish this cab, even though there are several mis-cuts on the wood and the design I had in mind never seemed quite right when I started to get things put together, I actually went back to the drawing board several times during the building phase, because I was so pissed at how the progress was going. The angle of the lower coindoor panels was off, the glass was not lining up with the lines of the cab, which caused me to have to make a major cut on the top that killed the chance of adding t-moulding to to top and embedding marquee's into the wood, but it all worked out in the end, a little wood glue, some expensive hardware from mikesarcade.com and great graphics from ridic rick made this pop like corn on christmas! what the hell am I saying?!? It's late, thanks again RidicRick, Koolbrez67, jeepguy81, donnei1979, cmoses, chillinwater, BBB, nitussi, THK, boohiss, s1nharvest, and others that I will have to edit this post for once I can wake back up... and countless others I will add to this list in the years to come for yalls help along the way! stop reading this crap and go play some video games!!!

arcadeskin.com go get you some graphics for your rad arcade! Its so bad!

8625965559_a15a83208d_z.jpg

8552848706_24799bb411_z.jpg

:End EDIT

alrighty, I'm about to start a new arcade build that will be a smaller version of the Nintendo versus machine *using MAME only:

I intend to have player one be able to "turn the monitor" vertical or horizontal. It will need a switch (ahk maybe) to activate the cocktail mode, but I need some help wrapping my mind around what I should implement to make this happen (to be able to go from vertical (cocktail mode) to horizontal mode (and back))... sets of games, cocktail themes and controls all need to change, or am I goofy, and should not try to implement this into the new build?

post-9833-142870575488_thumb.jpg

here's the ultimate idea:

have a set of light up "mode of play" buttons, when activated that mode is switched to...

mode 1: (player 1 only) vertical mode... only player 1 is activated and the screen is in vertical orientation, (jeepguys themes) controls are in vert mode also

mode 2: (player 1 only ) Horizontal mode... only player 1 is activated and the screen is in horizontal orientation (normal themes) normal controls

mode 3: (player 1 vs player 2) two monitors, same image (both players enjoy their own screen but play only horizontal versus games (fighting, windjammers, etc) only player 1 can choose the game (one computer handles all of the controls, processing and the monitors)

mode 4: (player 1 and player 2) two complete separate systems each with their own computers, sound, screen, everything

possible scenarios: make player 2 be able to go vertical also and have the ability for player 1 and player 2 to play vertical games vs, or together (more difficult to implement)

or... take away the ability for player 1 to be able to turn monitor vertical and play vertical games on a horizontal screen (easier implementation, but not as cool)

Some video card software has the option to rotate the monitor based upon the hot key. It may be possible to remap those keys to any key then, have the switch mapped out to that. There may also be a hot key to put one monitor in sleep mode. I think you could get away with having both monitors connected to one video card. One thing that should be considered is the transition period got to have something very nice to make it look good and not quirky. You could also go the hardware rotation way and have some type of monitor tilt system going on, and when you hit a switch the monitor will turn.

I agree, that's precisely why I haven't started wood, I only have a rough sketch for the design , the plan is to completely build the inner workings then design the cab around the electronics...

Thank you trublu,

U can use irotate to do the software rotation, I will need a hot key to change themes (maybe just change genre, no I can't just change genres , because I don't want all games showing, or maybe I can use genres, as long as I can force hyperspin to launch to a genre, then hot key to different genres)

ok, I've decided to stay horizontal, and just live with the black bars or bezels for the vert games, it was a hard decision, but I had to make it, this cab is still going to be sweet, even without rotating monitors...

now, I just need to decide on the games list for both setups... (I dont want the player to get options paralysis on trying to choose between 10000 games, just a hundred or so of the best single player mame has to offer, and same for versus...

This is Great! Also, this is very similar to a build that I have in the works, but I am building a head-to-head bartop using two player, two vertical monitors(jeepguy themes), and one computer. I decided to use only mame and less than a hundred or so games.

I also recently built a single player cab(horizontal); and like you Sorhp, I did not want thousands of games in the list.. so I spent days putting together a 100+ game mame pack. It was small.. only about 4GB(HQ videos and all) which was cool because I did not waste money on a Hard drive.. I just put a embedded XP and hyperspin on a $5 8GB thumb drive and it all works just as good; albeit the 1 minute or so it takes to boot from the bios to the shelled hyperspin. But its not that bad.

If I can remember an easy way to make a list of my rom folder I could get it to you ..oh, it is missing 6 button player games(SFII, KI..) because it was only a 4 button CP. But adding those games isn't a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet! I have done my absolute best to keep with our previously discussed dimensions, but when saw meets design, sometimes the dimensions change a little, I'll let ya know if anything major changes...

A little more progress... the base...

7249860070_65b1a57d5e_z.jpg

7249860918_7b879f970e_z.jpg

7249861806_5548a4864a_z.jpg

... I added the big casters because I have learned from experience that it is a biatch to roll heavy cabs that need to be moved (even if just a little) to be updated...

A little more progress... bottom coin door panels, and got the t molding inserts routed, ( I hate routing those, they imo, are the worst thing to route, pretty difficult to get it going good without screwing something up Edit: Remember to turn the router off while still on the wood, when you remove the router when on cutting T slots, you risk bumping the wood and gouging the interior of the wood panel, check the top left corner of this first pic...

7258854504_0de31187ff_z.jpg

7258853892_924100d3f7_z.jpg

7258855104_c5a243a3f5_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

I will probably want your plans for this cab once you are done, my gf seen it and now wants it for her two little boys. Perfect setup, they both can play at the same time and stop beating the hell out of each other over the games.. LOL

• 2 months later...

more progress... more to come

These angles are crazy difficult, I am not a cabinet maker, but if I was, Im sure it would look a little better, but Im doin the best I can... hope yall enjoy

8051758843_7f7350751a.jpg

8051764182_2a5ce1c96e.jpg

more progress... more to come

These angles are crazy difficult, I am not a cabinet maker, but if I was, Im sure it would look a little better, but Im doin the best I can... hope yall enjoy

That's some great work.. can't wait to see it finished.

Archived