Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Collapsible Gaming Wheel Stand...

Tredog

Was looking to build this first before discovering the whole MAME/VP World, but ended up building the Mame & Pinball Cabinets First. I have not had my G27 Racing wheel out since October, and I think now is the time to build this rig here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Collapsible-Gaming-Cockpit/

I am going to modify it slightly to accommodate for the gear shifter, but still have it fold down for storage. Will update soon with images and measurements as I go along.

g27-gaming-wheels-images.png

Draft Plans:

draft.jpg

Started the mock-up today, went ahead and threw some graphics on it to see how it would look. Still need to add the peddle rest and shifter mount. Will probably build it this weekend. Already noticed the wheel mount is WAY to short for my couch, will mess with the height tomorrow.... Here is what I have so far (also see new draft layout above).

stand with art.jpg

Got the main body complete. Not sure about the shifter as a separate component or attached as shown below. Going to test it this way for now and see if I can fit it on somehow. The location I would like the shifter is too low on the couch to fit properly. I will update the final dimensions in the next few days. Latest Pics:

racestand1.jpg

racestand2.jpg

racestand3.jpg

racestand4.jpg

Decided to try it out with the 120" Theater Screen & Projector. Kids really liked it, Height seems to work for everyone, only had to adjust the pedals back for the youngest (and pillow behind her). Here is a quick video (sorry about the quality, youtube enhanced the low light and made it grainy):

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this sturdy like when you're turning the wheel or using the shifter?
Yes. I made mine pretty close to the dimensions in the first post and it's great for stability. You could mock up a unit to test making it wider. Only thing for me is that it slips forward on my carpet so I need to figure out a way to make the underside sticky and not damage the carpet.

Does it feel strange that the shifter is higher?
I wouldn't know...I'm too cheap and don't play enough, so I just have a t80...no shifter. I'm sure you could build a step in the platform or a shelf in the side to get the shifter where you're used to it. I used to have a Driving Force Pro, which had the shifter attached to the wheel housing, and it never really bothered me.

41 minutes ago, hoser25 said:
3 hours ago, wallmachine said:
Does it feel strange that the shifter is higher?

I wouldn't know...I'm too cheap and don't play enough, so I just have a t80...no shifter. I'm sure you could build a step in the platform or a shelf in the side to get the shifter where you're used to it. I used to have a Driving Force Pro, which had the shifter attached to the wheel housing, and it never really bothered me.

Yeah im going to integrate something into the cab im building

DSCN2425.JPG.f3fd9f5fb20d8c96f66d5b11a4920a92.JPG.7061d827606fe1621ba073969526b46e.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

We don't drive manual much so its mostly there to control the game.  I originally wanted to mount it on the side somehow, but never got around to it...  Would love to see ideas.  And glad I inspired others, however originally I took this idea from someone else :)

On 11/21/2017 at 7:25 PM, hoser25 said:
On 11/21/2017 at 6:02 PM, wallmachine said:
Is this sturdy like when you're turning the wheel or using the shifter?

Yes. I made mine pretty close to the dimensions in the first post and it's great for stability. You could mock up a unit to test making it wider. Only thing for me is that it slips forward on my carpet so I need to figure out a way to make the underside sticky and not damage the carpet.

When mine is under the couch, its tight enough to not slip...  I guess it depends on your couch height, but I would try to wedge it under there with a towel, blanket, carpet or something like that...  Ours is tight enough to stay put, but loose enough to push forward and get out without busting up your knees.

Archived