Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

7z or sub folders for cd based systems

Dilated18

First post so pls dont beat me up. Was wondering if you guys think it is better to keep my roms in 7z or subfolders. Was cleaning up my roms and noticed that using renaming tools from previous cleanups that the 7z files were named according to hyperlist but the actual files were named differently. Also was concerned about rlauncher or hyperlaunch having a slow response to extracting a 7zip on the fly vs subfolders. Im also OCD and want the file in the 7z to match. Have searched through the forums and have found a few responses to this idea so im posting. Any info would be great as I would like to keep my roms as organized and ready as possible. Space is also not a concern as I have 20+ TB on an Unraid server and drives are pretty cheap these days.

Welcome!

If HDD space isn't a problem I don't see any point in using 7z files. It will take much longer to launch games if rl needs to unpack a 7z every time you want to play a game...the older consoles have such small files so those would be quick tu unzip...but then again, they are so small that there really isn't any benefit in having them zipped from the start.

I have everything unpacked in different subfolders for cd based games and the older consoles unpacked in a single folder since they usually just are a single file.

If you only have img or iso files then there really isn't any point in having subfolders either imo. I'd just put them in a single folder. If you have bin and cue files then subfolders is the way to go.

I noticed that if I use subfolders, Don's Hyperspin tools don't recognize the roms...or maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Tx JayC thats wat I thought, jus wasnt sure as I noticed most people seem to stick with keeping there files zipped. As for the subfolders in Don's Hypertools I believe if you use the correct file ext for the particular roms then it it will notice it. Im doing a clean up an plan to use subfolders with Don's hypertools so I will let you no how it works out.

• 2 months later...

I believe RocketLauncher can still show the progress bar, regardless of 7z. 

Fade Progress -> Show 7z Progress -> True 

Default is 7z only. True shows it no matter what -- it's just quick since there's no unpacking, I believe. I haven't tried it with unpacked files, but it works for non-7z stuff

Archived