Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

VP Newbie - cabinet build - Help Needed

sgoodbar

Thought I would post to the forum to get some advice from you guys.  very impressed with the builds I've found online and I'm a huge Hyperspin fan so this is the place to be.  I recently restored a Dynamo HS-5 arcade cabinet and have it up and running with Hyperspin and Mame.  I'm extremely happy with this thing and my kids and I spend time occasionally revisiting my childhood.  This build gave me experience with setting up the frontend and software, wiring up the USB controller, and other pieces that went into making this boot seamlessly into the front end.

Now it's time for the next project.  I've been on a hunt for a budget pinball project but since there's nothing in my price range, I'd like to give building a virtual pinball machine a shot.

I'm going to attempt to find a trashed widebody pinball cabinet, but may end up building something from scratch.  I'll look for a 46" and 32" LCD, but just like I have an original arcade CRT in my arcade build, I want this VP build to feel as realistic as possible and are looking for an actual Dot Matrix Display.  Best recommendation for DMD?  Are there any high-resolution artwork file resources out there for pinball art?  For example if I build a widebody, I would like to use the STNG artwork (this was a favorite of mine back in the day).  Anyone have some words of wisdom for me on getting started?

>Best LED TV for playfield?  Someone said 1:1 pixel mapping is a must, but what is that and is this true?

>Best DMD - ease of install and integration?

>Best method and parts required for force feedback?

>HQ Art Resources?

>Finally any links to useful tutorials would be much appreciated.

I'd love links to see your builds!  Thanks

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

welcome to the forum,  and sorry to tell you but this site does not have many active members with pinball cabinets.

I suggest you look into the multiple virtual pinball forums for help.  with that being said.

>Best LED TV for playfield?  Someone said 1:1 pixel mapping is a must, but what is that and is this true?

cant help you here,  get what you can afford

Best DMD - ease of install and integration?

the best DMD is a DYK  its called Pin2DMD

it uses a $25 dollar microcontorller and a pair of RGB pannels

you can read all bout it here 

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/132-pin2dmd/

their are commercial versions of this but the cost will be 3X of what you would spend if you go the DYK.

Best method and parts required for force feedback?

again their are multiple commercial options for you but the best option is to use a DYK

the best option is the DYK with the  $20 KL25Z board

read  all bout it here

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2290-kl25z-based-virtual-pinball-allinone-controller-pinscape-controller/

or go directly to the site

https://developer.mbed.org/users/mjr/code/Pinscape_Controller/

You can't connect High current/voltage devices to the KL25Z  board.  You will need to purchase or make

your own expansion boards (all the schematics can be found in the site)

Archived