Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Making new machines look old

Hey fellow cab builders

One of my side projects is a DK cab that i want to use the "fix it felix Jnr" artwork that i got from this great forums, now before i get my artwork printed i eas thinking on how new this machine is going to look, i know this is a made up theme but i like idea of it being a little beat up, has anyone done this and what

Method did you use to age the artwork

Here's a little idea of what i mean

Before

uru7yde2.jpg

After

ve4unyty.jpg

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0fa.jpg

Grab some sandpaper, go to work, throw some dirt at it, place some stickers & peal em off again, put some chewing gum under the cp, grab a key and scratch a bit, some coffee spills for some yellow aging, etc :D

Only after posting your art appears, pretty nice though a hellofalotta fading going on :)

Don't forget to be puffing on cigarettes the whole time, blowing smoke on the artwork to tint it further yellow if coffee doesn't do it.

lol ya that would help also can't forget that half the old cabs you see have cigarette burns all over the cpo

really tho if you want the real faded old look just build the cab and on really hot sunny days leave it outside for a week or two as sun fading stickers seems to happen fast and that way it has a natural look of fade instead of a forced fade look.

Cheers for the replies

Hahaha. I would suggest not following any advice above.

Your request is rather unusual and I believe very few have any experience in this regard. I would suggest doing all alterations in a software instead of physically "damaging" the artwork. It WILL lower the lifetime of the artwork. You might also get it printed on a less glossy, maybe even rough material. I have no idea what is possible in this regard although.

Hope this helps.

maybe also look up how people stress new wooden furniture to look old, I know there is a bunch of ways its done to give it an old feel/look without making it look bad but more of a natural aged effect.

Disney stressed their brand new art on their Felix cabs Im sure by all the crazy techniques listed on this thread. On my way to Midwest Gaming Classic my friends and I were pretty rough on the cab on purpose..scratching it.. when we where there we scuffed it up hitting doors at the hotel and such... when we left there was a bad snow storm and didnt have enough material to cover the cab.. so I let it get dirty, slushy, and wet.. (only for a few hours). When I arrived at home I wiped it all down except the graphics. Now I got a dirty looking aged cabinet (original old cab anyway) and it looks great! In my opinion its much better than new.

All great advice. I think having total control and doing it in Photoshop might be the best way to achieve that look. Use of Overlays and Color Burn layers atop the original layers with lots of alpha channel manipulation and your good to go. Scratches and a stressed look can also be achieved using this approach.

Bill Murray wanted a similar look to his OC custom Caddyshack chopper and their designer dude really had to rack his brain to make it happen. Long story short, there really isn't just one way to do this.

Best of luck and let me know if you need any help.

Archived