Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

AimTrak Light Gun

SteveMo

Looking at getting a light gun for my setup.

It seems the AimTrak is the best one out there. Is this still the case? Also read about the EMS TopGun III.

The AimTrak seem to have mixed reviews though so I'm not sure which to go for.

Is the AimTrak decent for calibration?

I have one, im not sold on it but it gets the job done. I seem to be having trouble with certain mame games, but I don't know if its the guns fault. Like area 51 works great, but terminator is crap.

Calibration isn't bad, but just remember when you are setting it up, not to get too close to the sensor bar cuz it screws it up.

Really nice look to it though

hope that helps..

Hi mate terminator will be rubbish until you have gone into the game setup and calibrated in there too, its a game that used fixed guns so although mappable wasnt actually a free gun game. It will still work fine mine does with my act labs guns but took this step to sort it. Operation wolf etc are also the same

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I have the gun now. I ran the initial calibration in Windows and amended the MAME.ini file.

I've played Point Blanc and it's working great.

The problem I'm having is the games which require you to shoot off screen to reload. Lethal Enforcers for example. It doesn't seem to work.

I did change the 'reload off screen' setting to 1.

Any ideas?

Got it working. Some more amendments to the Mame.ini file. Off screen shooting working perfectly now! Well happy with the AimTrak so far!

Next issue...Time Crisis. It's a stutters quite a bit so is not really that playable.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Old topic, but when I go to the link to fix the off screen reload issue, I get this message:

"There was a problem looking up the post in our database."

Does anyone have a working link to fix the off screen reload issue? I just got a Hyperspin HDD and Alienware Alpha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dunno about your issue. Sucks that you got a HyperSpin HDD too :P.

Aimtrak uses the same tech as the Wii controllers. All the videos I see of them on Youtube seem laggy and inaccurate. If you played with the Wii gun games and they make you happy, you might not be too annoyed by the limitations with the technology. But if you are looking to play those fast twitch gun games of old on MAME, Aimtrak may just leave you wanting. Good luck with this.

Since you got that beautiful CRT, I think you can get it going there. Scroll down to page 17 here. It has the pinout for RGB input for your Sony. Get a DB25 connector from here so you can harness and plug into the RGB input on that monitor (can't tell if you need male or female so get the right one). Also get a DB15HD connector from the same auction so you can connect your Alienware to that monitor. Now you just need to get your Alienware to output a 15khz RGB signal. For that, get an older Radeon HD4350 card. Then run Calamity's CRT EMU drivers. For those two breakout boards, you need to run 18 gauge wire from the Red, Green, Blue, Ground, and Composite Sync from each of those breakout boards.

Then you can use 3rd party Guncon2's (they were made for the PS2 Namco games). As fate would have it, I have a thread going here laying out my progress on this very subject. Sadly though, you might have to drop down to a 32-bit OS. Maybe even XP 32-bit. Might be a waste of a perfectly nice Alienware. So perhaps just pick up a cheap Core 2 Duo based PC off eBay for $20 so you can get it to work with your CRT. Keep the Alienware on the 50" Plasma.

Those arcade gun games of old were awesome. I am working to get them going on my arcade cabs, all with CRT monitors. It's worth the effort.

Why does it suck I got a 4TB Hyperspin HDD? The Alienware Alpha doesn't have a removable video card. I got the Alienware Alpha because it looks and feels like a game console, it looks to be able to play every system Hyperspin supports, and it is a great Steam box.

I may just do a Core 2 Duo PC and set up a Hyperspin PC that will support working guns on my PVM. Of course, that will significantly limit all the games I can run.

Archived