Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Cabinet Build - Rincewinds

Rincewind

Thank you, I did think about going down the CRT route but as I had an old LCD doing nothing it made sense to use it.

From a cold start up xpadder seems to be running the blank profile and not the Hyperspin "p1" profile, so this could be because of the the encoder or it could be because I still cant get my head around how xpadder / rocketlauncher / hyperspin work together when exiting. If I change the blank profile to the same as the Hyperspin profile then it works but it also then takes the profile into a game.

The setting up of the arcade sticks and buttons is the hardest part of this whole process. Mame works perfectly, you set them up and they just work

I still have two of them, I think I may have to use them in a cab that I am building to sell to fund the restorations of the rest of my cabs. I suppose I'll find out soon. I can update you then if I find the same problem.

Let me say that I am a big fan of LED/LCD HDTV displays. I have 3 of them in my house and DLP projector. But the difference is that LCD and DLP displays filter backlight to display colors (transmit or reflect). CRT's generate their own light.

With CRT's, black is black. What illuminates a CRT's pixel is a beam of electrons irradiating it. If there are no electrons hitting it, then no light is emitted. It is black. LCD's display black by closing the pixel to prevent the backlight of the LCD panel from transmitting through. And it doesn't do this nearly as well as a CRT. There is no true black on LCD, more just shades of gray. An LCD's pixel is basically filtered light from the back panel. There is a haze cast onto the image. Something I am sensitive to since I am big into home theater stuff. I have a projector and can see the same haze cast over the projected image. These old games play on LCD's just fine. But they glow on CRT's. They really do. Something about those glowing phosphors irradiated by electrons as opposed to CFL/LED light passing through liquid crystals, I suppose something in the light is lost as they pass through the panels that can't quite compare. I just stepped from my garage where I turned off all the lights after calibrating my CRT and just watched these 30 year old graphics in awe of their charm. I picked up both the PS4 and XBone over the Thanksgiving holiday and sometimes playing some of those games with everything on screen, it is a bit much.

Most importantly, these games were designed to play on CRT's. You can emulate those scalines, but you can't emulate glowing phosphors. You just can't.

That's fascinating! I didn't know that about the LED blacks not being actually black. That explains why there are so many settings and ratings regarding it on the new TVs.

It's also nice to have some words to describe the phosphorus glow. It's a visual sensation that I was aware of, but had yet been able to describe.

I have a big new fancy 50" 3D LED that I play everything through, but over in the corner I still have a 13" CRT/VCR Combo that my old NES/Genesis etc are hooked up to. As awesome as hyperspin is, there's nothing like blowing into a cartridge and seeing REAL static before that little bzzzt flashing to the video signal.

I'm trying my damndest to recreate that effect on my hyperspin setup, but I'm thinking I am going to have to find some way to record the video coming off the CRT for it to work properly... maybe record it with the built in VHS, and then convert the VHS to digital signal on the PC... hmmm....

That's fascinating! I didn't know that about the LED blacks not being actually black. That explains why there are so many settings and ratings regarding it on the new TVs.

It's also nice to have some words to describe the phosphorus glow. It's a visual sensation that I was aware of, but had yet been able to describe.

I have a big new fancy 50" 3D LED that I play everything through, but over in the corner I still have a 13" CRT/VCR Combo that my old NES/Genesis etc are hooked up to. As awesome as hyperspin is, there's nothing like blowing into a cartridge and seeing REAL static before that little bzzzt flashing to the video signal.

I'm trying my damndest to recreate that effect on my hyperspin setup, but I'm thinking I am going to have to find some way to record the video coming off the CRT for it to work properly... maybe record it with the built in VHS, and then convert the VHS to digital signal on the PC... hmmm....

Save yourself the trouble and get a CRT cab. See if you can source one for cheap in your neighborhood, then get back to enjoying the games in the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Save yourself the trouble and get a CRT cab. See if you can source one for cheap in your neighborhood, then get back to enjoying the games in the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Nooooo no no no no no. hahaha my project is very very different and a CRT would just be awful for my setup.

Once I decide to do an arcade build that is probably the route I will take. However, my build is a more like a modern console (you can check it out in my signature). So all the games display in 1080p gloriously stretched to 16:9 and use heavy anti-aliasing. While it's by no means accurate, omg does it look incredible!! lol I also want it to be able to plug into any modern TV and just go like if you took an Xbox over to your friend's house, so HDMI was 100% necessary. I actually removed all the arcade wheels from it and am only emulating mainstream consoles as well. (- the Atari systems)

Plus dealing with a giant arcade cabinet just isn't really possible with my small apartment. Once I move out into a real house I'll probably build one in the garage though, and focus 100% just on arcade games.

Archived