Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Atari 5200 with retroarch mame core !!!

Sting

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

A5200

I had a play but didn't get anywhere. Just wondering if there is a way to get retroarch to play the roms without them being named ass the softlists hash xml.

I will still try things now and again. Need to find a way to pass the rompath and location to it. Very doubtful but I live in hope

A5200

I had a play but didn't get anywhere. Just wondering if there is a way to get retroarch to play the roms without them being named ass the softlists hash xml.

I will still try things now and again. Need to find a way to pass the rompath and location to it. Very doubtful but I live in hope

I,have them in,my settings and it's a5200 not A5200

• 4 weeks later...

this method is very odd and doesn't work for me either, i placed hash files, in there, and still no go. placed the roms here: system/a5200/a5200/ roms, bios and still doesn't work, i places roms in every folder and doesn't work. not sure but does not seem to work 

5 hours ago, WonderChill said:

this method is very odd and doesn't work for me either, i placed hash files, in there, and still no go. placed the roms here: system/a5200/a5200/ roms, bios and still doesn't work, i places roms in every folder and doesn't work. not sure but does not seem to work 

I have an alternative method. It's a little more work but means you can have your games stored almost anywhere. I started writing it up but have not finished it yet. Need to check some stuff

to get you started read the bios handling section here http://www.mess.org/mess/howto

This is out of my notes. Need to finish it off but this may help. It should make life easier for setting up other systems in the future

1.       Download and extract the PC version of MAME (Make sure the version lines up with your romset and the current RetroArch Arcade (MAME) core

2.       Set you system/BIOS directory in RetroArch to your preferred location

3.       Copy the roms, hash, ini & any other folders you optionally want from your MAME PC directory to you RetroArch “system” folder on your Shield

4.       Do the same for your mame.ini file (If you don’t have one creating one is explained below)

5.       Make a copy of mame.ini and place it in the “ini” folder. Name it a5200.ini

6.       Create your rom folder. MUST be named a5200 (Place it anywhere you choose)

7.       Rename your rom file to match exactly the short names listed in the a5200.xml file located in the hash folder

8.       Drop your roms into the a5200 folder already created

9.       Drop your a5200.zip BIOS file in the a5200 folder with your roms

10.   Change the rompath line in the MAME a5200.ini to the location of your roms

11.   Use the same rompath for your Hyperspin Atari 5200.ini

This setup works with either bios type and location

system/mame/hash

/roms/a5200

/a5200.zip (zipped BIOS File)

system/mame/hash

/roms/a5200/a5200/5200.rom (Unzipped BIOS Location) Optional

system/mame/hash

/roms/a5200/(roms in here)

@WonderChill I changed this

4 hours ago, thatman84 said:

This setup works with either bios type and location

system/mame/hash

/roms/a5200

/a5200.zip (zipped BIOS File)

system/mame/hash

/roms/a5200/a5200/5200.rom (Unzipped BIOS Location) Optional

system/mame/hash

/roms/a5200/(roms in here)

@WonderChill I changed this

Thanks so much but doesn't make sense to me. Thank you tho for you time

Sorry for the confusion. You need screenshots but I can't do that right now.

stings method don't make use of ini files which leaves some things to chance.

if you have roms folder at the root of you drive. Your rompath in the a5200.ini will be this

/sdcard/roms/a5200

or

/storage/emulated/0/roms/a5200

Put your roms and bios stuff in the above location and adjust your Hyperspin Atari 5200.ini to match AND your MAME/retroarch a5200.ini also

if you retroarch system folder is in the RetrArch folder at root of your drive like mine the path is

/sdcard/RetroArch/system

or

storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/system

use retroarch to browse to that.

for the hash and ini stuff place them in the retroarch system folder

so

sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame

sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame/mame.ini

sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame/hash

sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame/ini

sdcard/RetroArch/system/mame/ini/a5200.ini

On November 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM, thatman84 said:

@WonderChill

so so I finished off the tutorial. It's a little rough would be good for some feedback if it's don't work or hard to understand

its here

Thank you will try today, been at work 3 days, now i have few days off. I thank you so much for help. Will gt back with you on it. I'm excited now to try this

Archived