Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

My First Cabinet Build-Complete

I finished building this cab a few months ago. Just started messing with everything again because im wanting to add light gun games and sega model 3. 

If you have any question about how i did stuff please ask!. 

-Its built out of 3/4in MDF.

- black gel stain for the color

-plexi glass bezel. I spray painted around the screen.looks very slick.  Which is a 25?in 16:10 monitor i got off ebay for about $80.

-"smart" power strip so everything powers on when the pc does but off the rest of the time. 

Learning Hyperspin/rocket launche setting up all the emulators was a hugeeee pain. But thats mostly because the PC i used is very old and runs on 32bit XP.(not as much support for that OS) I got dreamcast working to play MVC2. It actually works very well with the old PC. -

PC SPECS-

Amd athalon 64 x2 3.0ghz

8gb ram.

idk the graphics card but it cost about $50. 

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS GET AN SSD!!!!  All the artwork and animation worked SO much better after transferring by build onto one. 

I see some people who want to use the x-arcade tank stick as opposed to building their own CP. I seriously recommend making your own for two reasons. 1- its very satisfying 2 - you can make it yours! it will be customized to what you want(I wanted a 4way joystick for pacman so i got one) and will look sooo much better.

post-59003-0-98799500-1458771491_thumb.jpg

post-59003-0-75610100-1458771498_thumb.jpg

post-59003-0-88388900-1458771513_thumb.jpg

post-59003-0-22886300-1458771519_thumb.jpg

Nice build. I agree about making you own CP.

You're computer might be old but it's plenty of power to play thousands of games. Personally, I'd rather have an old computer in a cabinet for HyperSpin vs. a new computer sitting on a desk.

Sexy. Not all lit up with LED's too. I like that. The only light emanating from an arcade machine should be from the coin slots, marquee, and monitor. People should realize that; gives it that old seedy 80's bar room feel which we all hate to admit, that we love :)

You need a faux coin door to complete the look buddy.

I like your build. Looks very clean and stream lined which I like! Can I ask aside from the display and controller board what does a build like this run in materials?  I want to start a build similar to yours.  Although I do already have the tankstick so I do plan to build that into it.  I know and fully understand the whole argument to build your own but I got the tanks stick from a friend for a good price and I like it so I'm just going with it to save on cost and time.  I really would love to start my build but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Just for the actual building materials it is probably 200 max. Plexi glass isnt cheap and I used that for bezel and over my CP. 

Nothing is really too expensive it just all adds up. Plus any tools you may need. Router, slot cutter. 

Total I spent around $600. 

I would start by making a list of everything you need and pricing it all out.

I dont know if you already have a monitor of not but i suggest scooping one of these up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-245BW-Black-24-WideScreen-1920-x-1200-Resolution-Grade-B-/371569527532?hash=item5683450aec:g:vrwAAOSwvgdW3aHS

The 16:10 are hard to find at a decent price and give you little more vertical screen area then a 16:9

I don't have a monitor yet to use in the cab.  I was planning to design it for a 27" lcd tv.  Figure you can pick one of them up for 150 or so.  But that will be a later on purchase.  Right now I need to be able to nail down a design that will work with my tankstick and look good.  Then I can get some partical board and get going on the actual wood working construction I figure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived