Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How many Buttons

fuzzi23

Guys,

I need your help once again. I plan to build a bartop, so at the moment I muse about how many buttons are useful for hyperspin. I had seen that some people use three buttons for the menu (pause, exit and select), ok and of course the obligatory 1P start and coin buttons. By now I only have experience with hyperpin. In hyperpin I have use only 1P start and exit and this was more than enough for the menu. Could you guys please tell me wherefor a select button makes sense in hyperspin? And what do you think, is this enough (start, exit, coin, pause and select) for a 1P bartop? Or is it to mutch? Ok, I know I need besides some action buttons. :shot:

Depends, some systems use more buttons. But just for menu buttons, an Ipac can let you use combos and then there's ahk scripts for combo's and holding buttons for a specific amount of time. Just some things to consider.

Ah ok, yeah forgot the combo option. From this perspective there is no need for more than the start and exit buttons. hmm... only maybe a pause button is not that bad. I think these guys with the select button use this for emulated joypads with select button like NES, SNES, Genesis etc, right?

I have an Escape,Select,Enter & Pauze button. However i almost only use the "Select" button for Mame (brings up menu in Mame that really comes in handy for changing video settings or controls fast in-game).

For hyperspin i don't use it and for most console emulators its not really useful in my humble opinion. For example i changed my emulator controls for "NES: Punch-out" since you use "Start" to make an uppercut. So it was more convenient to link it to an action button of P1. For Zelda you need select a lot for example so i have both select and start set as action buttons.

So my personal opinion is that in most cases you're better of with a couple extra action buttons then with specific menu buttons who are out of handreach.

Just sharing my thoughts but i am quite a noob tbh :-D

Ok, select for Mame makes sense. I plan to use 6 action buttons. Do you have less than 6 action buttons on your cab? Why do you have an Enter + Start button? On my hyperpin cab I use the 1P start button to start tables and for enter in hyperpin menu. Wherefore an extra enter Button?

the select = Tab for mame is useful, but can be a bad thing if you let other people use your arcade.

Do you really want to easy access to the config menus? when my nephew first used my cab he was pressing random buttons trying to figure out what button does what.

my setup

6 button action for each player

P1 and P2 coin button ( hidden from view since I also have a coin door)

P1 and P2 start button

Exit

Pause

Enter NO NEED FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mapped the select (enter) for hyperspin to one of my action buttons

as fuzzykeuh mentioned

Select = Tab (for mame), I'm not giving anyone access to any of the config menus.

I don't have any console past the SNES in my cab (they are in my HTPC), since I don't have the buttons to support the controllers,

You have to find what best fits your needs. If you want a PS2, N64 in your cab you will need 10 buttons for each controller!!!

even if u had enough buttons for the consoles past snes. good luck trying to comfortably play them u less the game itself only uses a couple buttons. 10 buttons on a gamepad is easily usable but 10 buttons on a control panel that only one hand will be using because the other hand is using the joystick isn't usable in my opinion.

Personally I'm going to use RGB LED buttons for all players etc and using the I-PAC4 shift button functions I don't need to have any "extra" buttons on my cab. Just player start and coin buttons with the player buttons and that's it.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac3.html that is the page with the info on shift button programming. You end up with countless options to use. If you aren't using LED buttons then have your control panel artwork include the shift options you want to assign and program your I-PAC accordingly.

I believe LEDWiz can even speak the secondary functions (or is that Hyperspeak) but I'm not 100% sure on that one so don't take it as gospel.

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts. As I say before, I think I will go with a 6 Button layout + Start, Coin, Escape and maybe a Pause Button. I think some games of the 5th console generation, with simple controls I can play still with 6 action Buttons.

I also have 6 buttons per player. The reason i have an Enter button is that (when i was making the plans u are making now) i didnt want to risk having to change the ipac settings to much since i was totally inexperienced noob. But at the same time I really wanted an Enter button for some PC games since they usually use them for menu's. Also i had room enough on my CP to add some buttons more or less.

Archived