The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Filling wood cuts outs with varnish?

monkeychunkuk

So this may have been mentioned* before but I can't find a thread about it?

On the bottom part of machine at the front I want to cut out a shape so I can see the PC and the blue lights to glow through,

Originally I had planned to cut the shape and just put a sheet of Perspex behind it.* But I remember seeing a table made from piece of tree and they has covered it lots of varnish and filled the knot holes with varnish (I presume) , so it made some sections see through.

Has anyone done this on one of their projects and can anyone think of the best product to use?

Many thanks

Steve

imageedit_5_9062874812fggfgfgfg.gif

Can't you use a clear resin or acrylic? Thinking about it, Isuppose a clear acrylic varnish would be cheap, get yourself down to B&Q, get a small tin and test it on a scrap piece of wood.

If it's going to be thick, I be concerned with drying time, cracking and what it looks like on large areas.

Could you also add colour to it? How about a stained glass window ;)

Sounds interesting.

LOL. Yeah it's not cheap and it is an epoxy so you bet it smells while you are using it. Needs to be very well ventilated or they may be dragging your body out of your shed. :)

Good health and safety advice Sir. That stuff is evil :evil: even if you use it outside. I'd go for full hazmat suit, rubber boots and a dumb assistant. A gimp suit may also be an option, but please do all the zips up. Thanks. ;)

Not sure to give im up in the idea and go with plexi or try poxy resin ???

I would try Polyurethane. I used to take large wood spools, staple cardboard around the edge as a fence and just pour a can of it across. It would dry clear and smooth and make a great outdoor tabletop.

Thanks,

Ron

Archived