Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Neo Geo CD games

mihaliousa

Mess system is Ike any other system other than the renaming of files to match the mame XML. Your hyperspin XML will match your Roms and all the media will have to be renamed. If you have a folder called neocdz. Inside that folder you will have another folder called neocdz. I like to have my BIOS files in bother folders zipped and unzipped. In the first main folder you will have a zipped dummy file called samsho3 and a folder with the chd in it called samsho3. Your ini should have zip and chd in ext.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, badhemi said:

Mess system is Ike any other system other than the renaming of files to match the mame XML. Your hyperspin XML will match your Roms and all the media will have to be renamed. If you have a folder called neocdz. Inside that folder you will have another folder called neocdz. I like to have my BIOS files in bother folders zipped and unzipped. In the first main folder you will have a zipped dummy file called samsho3 and a folder with the chd in it called samsho3. Your ini should have zip and chd in ext.

Going to try this out. This looks very familiar to how thatman84 has his tutorial for the atari 5200 set up except one thing I've been meaning to ask, does my Hyperspin ini and Hyperspin xml need to be renamed to neocdz as well? I have all Hyperspin folders and ini's, xml's named how Hyperspin usually defaults its naming in the Hyperlist such as SNK NEO GEO CD, Nintendo Famicom etc.

No need to rename your Hyperspin xml or ini file, they are only relevant to Hyperspin not retroarch or mame  retroarch.

retroarch/mame are only interested in the roms. Names/folder structure, hash file and file types all need to meet the mame standard to work. 

Hyperspin only does 2 things

1. Launches RetroArch+core with exe&parameter line in HS ini files

2. Passes the rom name and location by way of xml and ini.

thats why the hyperspin xml "game name" must match what RA mame is expecting to see.

the mame hash file dictates what roms/bios mame is expecting

the rom folder structure is just how mame is coded to work. 

On PC you can get around all of these issues with command line switches that tell mame what rom name, location and type should be loaded. Thus people can have whatever rom name/location they want. Know one has figured it out from Hyperspin Android yet. I still think it's possible but have not figured it out yet

57 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Going to try this out. This looks very familiar to how thatman84 has his tutorial for the atari 5200 set up except one thing I've been meaning to ask, does my Hyperspin ini and Hyperspin xml need to be renamed to neocdz as well? I have all Hyperspin folders and ini's, xml's named how Hyperspin usually defaults its naming in the Hyperlist such as SNK NEO GEO CD, Nintendo Famicom etc.

No the hyperspin XML and system name can be any thing you want as long as the XML ROM and media match. The ini has to point to the neocdz ROM path. And you must load the dummy files

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

No need to rename your Hyperspin xml or ini file, they are only relevant to Hyperspin not retroarch or mame  retroarch.

retroarch/mame are only interested in the roms. Names/folder structure, hash file and file types all need to meet the mame standard to work. 

Hyperspin only does 2 things

1. Launches RetroArch+core with exe&parameter line in HS ini files

2. Passes the rom name and location by way of xml and ini.

thats why the hyperspin xml "game name" must match what RA mame is expecting to see.

the mame hash file dictates what roms/bios mame is expecting

the rom folder structure is just how mame is coded to work. 

On PC you can get around all of these issues with command line switches that tell mame what rom name, location and type should be loaded. Thus people can have whatever rom name/location they want. Know one has figured it out from Hyperspin Android yet. I still think it's possible but have not figured it out yet

Oh okay, was just making sure I covered all bases before proceeding to tackle this project and I hope you do figure that out in time.

1 hour ago, badhemi said:

No the hyperspin XML and system name can be any thing you want as long as the XML ROM and media match. The ini has to point to the neocdz ROM path. And you must load the dummy files

Okay so I tried once again and Hyperspin just brings me right back out to the game wheel like every other attempt. You said to put the chd/bios in the first neocdz folder but then never said what to do with the second folder, I placed the 3 bios in that second folder unzipped though. I figured going by thatman84's tutorial the game files would go in that second folder but for this first attempt I placed them how you said. I took some screenshots so you can see what I'm dealing with and maybe you can spot any errors and tell me what to change so please take a look. I have the hyperspin ini's game name labeled as samsho3 just as it is in the mame neocd ini. I also have to mention that the way everything is set up in those pics actually allows me to start the game, but onlt through RA only.

ES File Explorer_20170212_093642.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_093657.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_093813.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_094042.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_094125.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_101338.png

7 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Okay so I tried once again and Hyperspin just brings me right back out to the game wheel like every other attempt. You said to put the chd/bios in the first neocdz folder but then never said what to do with the second folder, I placed the 3 bios in that second folder unzipped though. I figured going by thatman84's tutorial the game files would go in that second folder but for this first attempt I placed them how you said. I took some screenshots so you can see what I'm dealing with and maybe you can spot any errors and tell me what to change so please take a look. I have the hyperspin ini's game name labeled as samsho3 just as it is in the mame neocd ini. I also have to mention that the way everything is set up in those pics actually allows me to start the game, but onlt through RA only.

ES File Explorer_20170212_093642.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_093657.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_093813.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_094042.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_094125.png

ES File Explorer_20170212_101338.png

I said BIOS in both folders. Why do you have ini for neocdz? No need. Also remove your backslash from ini after neocdz

HOLY SHIT THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!! Simply removing those two things got me in!! YESSSSS!! Wow I can't thank you enough and everyone else that contributed in this thread but I have one more question. That very set up I have up there in those pics, I basically do that to set up all other mess cores such as atari 5200 etc? btw I had that neocdz ini file cause I thought one was supposed to be there, I guess not lol

@sonkun did you see my pm?

it show you the setup folders.

from memory as I'm not at PC/shield

rom folder

neocdz/neocdz/chd folders named as hash file/chd files named as you get them

Dummy zips

neocdz/neocdz/dummy zips named as hash file (same names as chd folders and hash files)

bios

neocdz/zipped up bios files

neocdz/neocdz/unzipped bios inside their folders 

6 minutes ago, sonkun said:

HOLY SHIT THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!! Simply removing those two things got me in!! YESSSSS!! Wow I can't thank you enough and everyone else that contributed in this thread but I have one more question. That very set up I have up there in those pics, I basically do that to set up all other mess cores such as atari 5200 etc? btw I had that neocdz ini file cause I thought one was supposed to be there, I guess not lol

I have used the ini files to relocate my files outside of the system folder but I think I need to test it again to see if stuff works without them so long as the folders and bios are in the same place

2 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I have used the ini files to relocate my files outside of the system folder but I think I need to test it again to see if stuff works without them so long as the folders and bios are in the same place

I never use ini in system folder. Just my main one in hyperspin_android

2 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Not sure how I missed your pm but I got it now and thank you for the link. I'm eventually going to try everything I did in those pics above but with atari 5200. Hopefully you don't need any mame ini's to set up any cores which would make setting cores up just a little bit easier.

11 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Glad it worked. 

5 minutes ago, badhemi said:

I never use ini in system folder. Just my main one in hyperspin_android

You have all your games in your retroarch system folder though right? (The folder you have set your systemBIOS directory to in retroarch)

i don't have anything other than ini files in my system folder. (And console bios files)

I am going to test again to see if I need the ini files

Amazing. Hopefully this thread will help all android users out going forward trying to set up their mess cores. Only thing left is to rename all media files etc but that's not a big deal. If that method above works for all other mess cores I'm about to go on a mess core set up spree lol. So many obscure systems are available to try. I think there's a list of systems that work and don't work but I have to look more into that. I used to not like the retroarch mame core but now it's on its way to becoming one my favs 

1 minute ago, sonkun said:

Amazing. Hopefully this thread will help all android users out going forward trying to set up there mess cores. Only thing left is to rename all media files etc but that's not a big deal. If that method above works for all other mess cores I'm about to go on a mess core set up spree lol. So many obscure systems are available to try. I think there's a list of systems that work and don't work but I have to look more into that. I used to not like the retroarch mame core but now it's on its way to becoming one my favs 

I started a folder on the EM FTP for renamed artwork/videos

i have only done Bally Astrocade so far. I really can't be arsed to change all the media. It's a shame that everyone has to do it. It's totally stupid the renamed stuff is not availiable somewhere.

7 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I started a folder on the EM FTP for renamed artwork/videos

i have only done Bally Astrocade so far. I really can't be arsed to change all the media. It's a shame that everyone has to do it. It's totally stupid the renamed stuff is not availiable somewhere.

More than likely I'll end up helping you rename some of this stuff. My first one will be neo geo cd. Once I get all the videos/artwork renamed I'll contact you so we can get it on your ftp for everyone. This looks to be a long project especially if you want to rename all the systems that work.

Edit: I think neo geo cd will be one of the easiest ones since I believe all the media files are already named exactly how they are in the mame xml. I gotta recheck again

That would be amazing! Do you have and EmuMovies account?

It's a long project. I'm not really going to add much obscure stuff. Mainly stuff that can be used with a controller.

i will need to ask if it's OK to put them there but as the videos are from there it's the only place for it.

there are plenty on the hit list though. 

I will start a thread once I have asked at EM

"2 minutes ago, thatman84 said:That would be amazing! Do you have and EmuMovies account?It's a long project. I'm not really going to add much obscure stuff. Mainly stuff that can be used with a controller.i will need to ask if it's OK to put them there but as the videos are from there it's the only place for it.there are plenty on the hit list though. I will start a thread once I have asked at EM"

Yes please ask them. And if it's okay we can decide on which system to tackle first. Good idea on tackling the systems that use controllers so we should definitely start with those systems. I'm definitely down for this project, maybe others will join in once they see progress as well. Just keep me updated ?

18 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

You have all your games in your retroarch system folder though right? (The folder you have set your systemBIOS directory to in retroarch)

i don't have anything other than ini files in my system folder. (And console bios files)

I am going to test again to see if I need the ini files

All I have in my system folder is mame and all my RetroArch cores BIOS files. Also all my system names with BIOS and roms in them that's it 

7 minutes ago, badhemi said:

Also all my system names with BIOS and roms in them that's it 

So all your roms for the software list systems are inside your retroarch system folder?

thats what I don't fancy doing. 

All my roms for EVERY system are in a roms folder on my NAS drive

i only have txt files and bios files in retroarch system folder

your way is a more simple though

9 minutes ago, badhemi said:

All I have in my system folder is mame and all my RetroArch cores BIOS files. Also all my system names with BIOS and roms in them that's it 

Yeah, I saw you say somewhere in another thread that you don't even have retroarch folders on your shield itself but all on the external hard drive. I didn't realize you could move those system folders so I placed that whole com.retroarch folder on my ext hard drive as well along with a bios folder inside the system folder then repointed my directory to it and everything works like a charm. Saves space. I guess you can move the com.retroarch folder in the data/data folder that's deeply rooted into the shield sd card to the ext drive as well but I left that alone for now

10 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Yeah, I saw you say somewhere in another thread that you don't even have retroarch folders on your shield itself but all on the external hard drive. I didn't realize you could move those system folders so I placed that whole com.retroarch folder on my ext hard drive as well along with a bios folder inside the system folder then repointed my directory to it and everything works like a charm. Saves space. I guess you can move the com.retroarch folder in the data/data folder that's deeply rooted into the shield sd card to the ext drive as well but I left that alone for now

Yes everything is on hdd

Archived