Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Mame64 HLSL Slowdown

EnterNow

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice re running Mame64 with HLSL enabled. I have it working, but when the effect is turned on, it's crippling the performance of Mame. Everything is perfect with HLSL switched off. Specs are:

Core2Duo 2.8Ghz

4GB DDR2 Ram

X1650 Pro

I see that the X1300/1900 cards are mentioned as not being able to run HLSL without severe frame-skipping, & that's fine, I'll upgrade the card. The problem is I don't know what level of card I need to be able to run HLSL properly? I don't want to spend money on something to discover it's not good enough etc. I'm looking now at a 1GB GDDR5 HD6670...would that be up to the job? Or if anyone else has any advice re gpu's, it'd be great. Cheers

I am not familiar with your video card but you may want to check some MAME settings first. Unlike the rest of MAME HLSL actually uses the video card to do a lot of work. But settings are important. I would check your sync refresh setting. Usually having set to 1 is better. Also check your prescale settings in the HLSL section. A setting of 0 is auto but isn't always the best way to go. You may want to try a setting or 2 or 3 for both the x and y. This prescales the image and can mean less work for the GPU. You might want to give that a try first. Another consideration is the resolution you are running HLSL at. You can test in a window or full screen at lower resolutions.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

I don't know about ATI cards much, but have 0 problems with my Nvidia GTX 760

Yeah I wouldn't think you would with a card like that :embarassed:

I am not familiar with your video card but you may want to check some MAME settings first. Unlike the rest of MAME HLSL actually uses the video card to do a lot of work. But settings are important. I would check your sync refresh setting. Usually having set to 1 is better. Also check your prescale settings in the HLSL section. A setting of 0 is auto but isn't always the best way to go. You may want to try a setting or 2 or 3 for both the x and y. This prescales the image and can mean less work for the GPU. You might want to give that a try first. Another consideration is the resolution you are running HLSL at. You can test in a window or full screen at lower resolutions.

Cheers for that, will take a look at the settings so. Even at that though, would it be fair to say if I'm having trouble running the likes of SF2 then even with a change to settings, my gfx card hasn't got much left in reserves & I should prob look at upgrading it?

I used a x1550 on my htpc and it definitively could NOT run HLSL. Now I have a 9800gtx+ inside it and HLSL is a viable solution.

A 6670 is in the same range of 9800gtx (gddr5) but some emulators don't like too much ATI. I'd say go with a nvidia gtx650, it will open a brand new world even in windows gaming when compared to x1650. A better videocard is an overkill for a core 2 duo (maybe better image quality but same speed in terms of FPS).

@horseyhorsey

Videoram does not count so much, many low-end videocard are packed in with impressive vram amount due to marketing strategies. Which videocard are you using?

I used a x1550 on my htpc and it definitively could NOT run HLSL. Now I have a 9800gtx+ inside it and HLSL is a viable solution.

A 6670 is in the same range of 9800gtx (gddr5) but some emulators don't like too much ATI. I'd say go with a nvidia gtx650, it will open a brand new world even in windows gaming when compared to x1650. A better videocard is an overkill for a core 2 duo (maybe better image quality but same speed in terms of FPS).

@horseyhorsey

Videoram does not count so much, many low-end videocard are packed in with impressive vram amount due to marketing strategies. Which videocard are you using?

I should really go through some other versions of mame to test, no reason why it should perform as it does.

@horsey

What model is your videocard? A low-end videocard CAN struggle with hlsl, it is entirely managed trought videocard's shader. If it is a decent videocard the problem may be HLSL setting, check this in you mame.ini:

yiq_enable 0

It MUST be that way. yiq_enable 1 can kill performance even on hi-end videocard

@horsey

What model is your videocard? A low-end videocard CAN struggle with hlsl, it is entirely managed trought videocard's shader. If it is a decent videocard the problem may be HLSL setting, check this in you mame.ini:

yiq_enable 0

It MUST be that way. yiq_enable 1 can kill performance even on hi-end videocard

It's not the HLSL I have a problem with , it's the bezels in mame for some reason. I will have a look at that though , thanks.

Not mame bezels but hyperlaunch bezels for mame. I can run some emulators like the amstrad with random bezel backgrounds that change every second and that doesn't affect performance.

• 3 months later...

I confirm I have the same issue, with MAME 0.151 and up.

I'm NOT using HLSL.

Without bezels, it runs fine.

With MAME 0.150 and bezels, it runs fine as well.

Where do you set that yiq_enable 0 ? MAME.ini?

EDIT : If it's in mame.ini I just added it and it doesn't change a thing. (performance-wise)

My config is a i5 + GTX 460

I confirm I have the same issue, with MAME 0.151 and up.

I'm NOT using HLSL.

Without bezels, it runs fine.

With MAME 0.150 and bezels, it runs fine as well.

Where do you set that yiq_enable 0 ? MAME.ini?

yes in the MAME.ini

Archived