Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

SSD / HD size, PC Specs, for Hyperspin Arcade only system on Windows 10

Rockstead

- Not sure how large of a SSD i will need for Windows 10 and Hyperspin?

- How large of a HD for every emulator and Rom set which is Arcade only? 

- How large of a HD for every emulator and Rom set which is Arcade only but has been cleaned of duplicate Roms and non working games?

- What is recommended pc specs to be able to run Windows 10 / Hyperspin and everything arcade related? Any compact complete systems to recommend? The only parts I hav now is a HD and Geforce 770.

It's confusing because I see some people say they fit it all on a 500GB SSD, which would be great but seems unrealistic since other people mention you need 2Tb for everything arcade related, which is it? It would be good to leave a little room to future proof, unless it's not necessary.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, adamg said:

If you just mean MAME only which is what plays all of the arcade games, you are looking at around 600 GB so a 1 TB drive is more than enough.

I'm not sure what I mean, when I hear people say everything Arcade, they also tend to include latest MAME  romset, Demul romset, Supermodel romset, all Taito Type X games, all Daphne laserdisc, not sure fi I missed anything.

So these are Arcade games in addition to what Mame offers I think, not sure if I missed any.

1 hour ago, THK said:

A lot of arcade systems are included in MAME, some share the same roms with other emu's like Model 2/3, Atmiswave. TypeX is another set. Of course all console/pc/handhelds have their own rom sets.

Which Arcade systems are not included in Mame and require their their emulator? 

For the ones in which Mame shares the same Roms with other arcade emulators, when I it preferably preferably play them on th own emulators rather than Mame. I'm just trying trying get a complete picture.

It would be cool to get All arcade rated stuff, along with Windows 10 all on the same SSD, otherwise no biggie an I'll use a 2TB HD just for roms.

No need to keep your roms on an SSD, maybe larger iso files or chd images for MAME if you want to include those. As long as HS, all it's artwork, the preview vids and emus are on the SSD, you should be good. Loads if not all roms are so small in file size that loading them from either SSD or relatively fast HDD makes near as no difference.

I'd just get an SSD that is in your price range and a decent size HDD. You can always add more systems etc on the HDD or add another.

1 minute ago, THK said:

No need to keep your roms on an SSD, maybe larger iso files or chd images for MAME if you want to include those. As long as HS, all it's artwork, the preview vids and emus are on the SSD, you should be good. Loads if not all roms are so small in file size that loading them from either SSD or relatively fast HDD makes near as no difference.

I'd just get an SSD that is in your price range and a decent size HDD. You can always add more systems etc on the HDD or add another.

It's for a dedicated cabinet, would I ever need more than a 128GB SSD for Windows 10 and Hyperspin related content? I'm open to going 64GB or even 256GB, whatever makes sense.

64 seems a little low. I'd personally go for 256 just to have some room. You don't want to fill your SSD over 80% really. And artwork and vids can add up.

With that kinda low space like 256 (I'm using a 1TB 850 EVO for my OS drive on my pc and 500GB would've done, 500GB would've done but I was already stretching it with a win7/win10 dual boot) you can probably get it for cheap 2nd, even new and sealed (as I got mine, still saved me 80 euros)

But to be honest, I'm not the person to ask how many space it would take for all arcade systems and what systems are covered by which rom sets.

I've built dozens of Hyperspin machines. I'd put ssd in for os related stuff but emulators and Roms run fine off regular hard drive. I don't think ssd would get much benefit for launching Roms or executing emulators.
Os only needs 30gb or so but yes with prices right now 256gb prob be cheapest per gb. You can try put anything that would actually benefit from faster launch on the ssd but that's not a lot. Arcade only = no need for ssd really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MAME's T7z merged ROM set is only 35 GB, add to that the 450GB of CHDs for games that need them and you are under 500 GB, with a 1TB you still have a lot of free space, you can add all cartridge systems (Sega Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, PC Engine, etc), they're not more than 20 GB. You can add some disc based systems like 3DO or Jaguar CD and still have some room left for some selected PC games, indies and other "not so old" system's games (Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2, Wii).

My personal preference on my cab and my two gaming pc's is a 500 gig SSD drive for the OS and a 3-4 TB HD for roms with a detachable 4 tb usb drive that shares backup's and data for all 3. I also symlink all the important emulator files like bios, saves, sstates and custom configs to a free google drive account that syncs between all 3 that way I can continue play on any system I choose at anytime.

My personal preference on my cab and my two gaming pc's is a 500 gig SSD drive for the OS and a 3-4 TB HD for roms with a detachable 4 tb usb drive that shares backup's and data for all 3. I also symlink all the important emulator files like bios, saves, sstates and custom configs to a free google drive account that syncs between all 3 that way I can continue play on any system I choose at anytime.

That sounds awesome...

On 11/19/2016 at 7:28 AM, Rockstead said:

- Not sure how large of a SSD i will need for Windows 10 and Hyperspin?

- How large of a HD for every emulator and Rom set which is Arcade only? 

- How large of a HD for every emulator and Rom set which is Arcade only but has been cleaned of duplicate Roms and non working games?

- What is recommended pc specs to be able to run Windows 10 / Hyperspin and everything arcade related? Any compact complete systems to recommend? The only parts I hav now is a HD and Geforce 770.

It's confusing because I see some people say they fit it all on a 500GB SSD, which would be great but seems unrealistic since other people mention you need 2Tb for everything arcade related, which is it? It would be good to leave a little room to future proof, unless it's not necessary.

Thank you.

Rockstead, 

I know others have giveing you some good info, but I thought I would share my setup since I am in the exact same boat as you. (here have an oar so we can get there quicker)

My setup "was" as follows, a 256GB m.2 with windows 10/hyperspin/RL/media/Emulators/Sega Naomi Roms/Daphne Roms/Taito Type X Roms and a 512GB Mech drive that had all of the mame roms

As of this past weekend I have changed it to a Single 750GB SSD (Microcenter has the CRUCIAL 750GB MX300 2.5 SATA SSD on sale for 139.99) and combined the 2 drives onto one drive.

The rest of my machine is this ( I have also listed the price a friend paid for the same parts back in Aug)

Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H LGA 1151 mATX Intel Motherboard 957894  $   47.99
Intel Core i3-6300 3.8GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor 942136  $ 129.99
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 658765  $   64.99
EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply 913897  $   32.99
1Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM DVD - English 805424  $   99.99

I have played around with using the Intel Video and using my HD5770 (mame won't care on this) and I haven't really seen a huge improvement short of the UEFI logo being cropped when I use the HD5770.  I am currently using a 27" HP LCD until I can find a 27" VGA monitor that isn't $600.

I hope this helps you.  Please let me know if you have questions on setup or anything.  I am currently working on the Taito Type X stuff but in general I have learned a lot and even have it setup to boot stright to HS.  My current setup will go from powered off to being able to choose a game in about 10 - 15 seconds.

Archived