Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Wireless Controller Issue

Skoobie0000

I understand this is not a hyperspin specific problem but I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm running Hyperspin/Rocket Launcher on a bartop with a Windows 7 64bit OS. It's a 2-player setup with Sanwa joysticks and 8 buttons/player (Xin Mo settup). These joysticks are configured in Rocket Launcher/Hyperspin as P1 & p2. I purchased 2 Xbox One wireless controllers so I could play 4-player games in MAME. The controllers both connect fine and are seen by all programs (Xpadder/Windows/Mame/Rocketlauncher etc). The problem is when I connect them they take over the P1 and P2 bindings, rendering the arcade controls inoperable. I tried to set the controllers up with different keyboard bindings in xpadder but that didn't work. In MAME I can rebind everything inside each game (Xbox controllers show up as P1, P2. Arcade controllers bind as P3, P4 respectively) but that is cumbersome and I want to keep the arcade controls as P1 and P2 so I don't have to rebind everything each time if I just want to play single or 2 player. Any ideas on forcing Windows to recognize the controllers as P3 and p4 when they are connected? Maybe I'm setting them up incorrectly in xpadder? Any help would be great. Thank you!

I don't think there is a way to force Windows into doing what you described, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that, this is possible to implement but it's a lot of work and requires the use of the rom mapping feature of RocketLauncher.

I don't think there is a way to force Windows into doing what you described, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that, this is possible to implement but it's a lot of work and requires the use of the rom mapping feature of RocketLauncher.
I dont know about any rom mapping, but the "preferred controllers" feature in RL is suppose to help give the same windows ID to the controllers every time. Not entirely sure you can skip 1 and 2 and make them 3 and 4 always though.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Spawk said:

I dont know about any rom mapping, but the "preferred controllers" feature in RL is suppose to help give the same windows ID to the controllers every time. Not entirely sure you can skip 1 and 2 and make them 3 and 4 always though.

Doesn’t work, I really wish it did but it just doesn’t. That feature is the one thing I wish they would fix. 

Doesn’t work, I really wish it did but it just doesn’t. That feature is the one thing I wish they would fix. 

So post on the RL forum then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have, it hasn’t been addressed and there hasn’t been a RL update in ages. 

Post again. Many people have the feature working fine.

Work continues on RL, just not released yet.

45 minutes ago, tonesmalone said:

Post again. Many people have the feature working fine.

Work continues on RL, just not released yet.

I am aware that it is being worked on but the updates haven’t been made available so same difference. 

Setting up preferred controllers is extremely easy and the documentation available for it is very detailed. It doesn’t work, at least not with Xpadder. I’ve tested extensively and the profiles are not assigned properly.

Say I have two Xbox controller and two USB SNES controllers plugged in and I set the SNES controllers as the preferred controllers for the SNES system. When I start a game, it’s a wildcard what will happen. Sometimes the profiles are assigned properly to the SNES controllers for P1/P2 and sometimes they aren’t. 

I am aware that it is being worked on but the updates haven’t been made available so same difference. 
Setting up preferred controllers is extremely easy and the documentation available for it is very detailed. It doesn’t work, at least not with Xpadder. I’ve tested extensively and the profiles are not assigned properly.
Say I have two Xbox controller and two USB SNES controllers plugged in and I set the SNES controllers as the preferred controllers for the SNES system. When I start a game, it’s a wildcard what will happen. Sometimes the profiles are assigned properly to the SNES controllers for P1/P2 and sometimes they aren’t. 

Yep. Post on the RL forums.

And honestly - your issue is with xpadder.

4 minutes ago, tonesmalone said:

Yep. Post on the RL forums.

And honestly - your issue is with xpadder.

The issue is not isolated to Xpadder, can it be a factor? Sure, but RL is supposed to send the correct profiles over to Xpadder based on the preferred controller settings and it isn’t consistent. Do you use this feature?

The issue is not isolated to Xpadder, can it be a factor? Sure, but RL is supposed to send the correct profiles over to Xpadder based on the preferred controller settings and it isn’t consistent. Do you use this feature?

I can’t stress enough how much better it would be to post in the RL forums about this. I do suspect the issue to be xpadder, however I suggest following these steps...

- Post a new topic on the RL forum with a full write up of the issue. Include in this a troubleshooting log of you launching a game. Set logging to troubleshooting in RLUI, launch a game, copy log to pastebin and link back to your post.

- Do a trial test of this, replacing xpadder with joytokey. This will help to narrow down the issue. And also, joytokey is way, way better than xpadder.

I can’t stress enough how much better it would be to post in the RL forums about this. I do suspect the issue to be xpadder, however I suggest following these steps...

- Post a new topic on the RL forum with a full write up of the issue. Include in this a troubleshooting log of you launching a game. Set logging to troubleshooting in RLUI, launch a game, copy log to pastebin and link back to your post.

- Do a trial test of this, replacing xpadder with joytokey. This will help to narrow down the issue. And also, joytokey is way, way better than xpadder.

I totally agree about joytokey. You can set all 4 joypads up in 1 profile in jtk. Worth a try! I couldnt get xpadder to work right myself either.

On 31/1/2018 at 8:34 AM, Skoobie0000 said:

I understand this is not a hyperspin specific problem but I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm running Hyperspin/Rocket Launcher on a bartop with a Windows 7 64bit OS. It's a 2-player setup with Sanwa joysticks and 8 buttons/player (Xin Mo settup). These joysticks are configured in Rocket Launcher/Hyperspin as P1 & p2. I purchased 2 Xbox One wireless controllers so I could play 4-player games in MAME. The controllers both connect fine and are seen by all programs (Xpadder/Windows/Mame/Rocketlauncher etc). The problem is when I connect them they take over the P1 and P2 bindings, rendering the arcade controls inoperable. I tried to set the controllers up with different keyboard bindings in xpadder but that didn't work. In MAME I can rebind everything inside each game (Xbox controllers show up as P1, P2. Arcade controllers bind as P3, P4 respectively) but that is cumbersome and I want to keep the arcade controls as P1 and P2 so I don't have to rebind everything each time if I just want to play single or 2 player. Any ideas on forcing Windows to recognize the controllers as P3 and p4 when they are connected? Maybe I'm setting them up incorrectly in xpadder? Any help would be great. Thank you!

I have a similar setup: I have an Joystic board controller (IPAC Ultimate IO) and FOUR XBOX 360 wireless.

I configure my joystics with WINIPAC profile tool and then RL loads them. 

For XBOX Controllers i use Xpadder and configure P1 and P2 with the same keys as joystick 1 and 2. And then for P3 and P4 i assign other diferent keys (Same keys used in MAME configuration)

If you only have Two XBOX joystics, you will name those profiles as P3 and P4 on RL.

The thing is i don't know how you load your Joysticks profiles. 

8 minutes ago, ci2own said:

I have a similar setup: I have an Joystic board controller (IPAC Ultimate IO) and FOUR XBOX 360 wireless.

I configure my joystics with WINIPAC profile tool and then RL loads them. 

For XBOX Controllers i use Xpadder and configure P1 and P2 with the same keys as joystick 1 and 2. And then for P3 and P4 i assign other diferent keys (Same keys used in MAME configuration)

If you only have Two XBOX joystics, you will name those profiles as P3 and P4 on RL.

The thing is i don't know how you load your Joysticks profiles. 

Your setup is different, I have the same thing. IPAC's are keyboard based, Xinmo acts like a controller. BTW, when you play 4 player games do you use only the Xbox controllers? Or do you have two players on the control panel and two on Xbox controllers? I'm asking because if you do the second option, you'd need to leave the first two controllers on even if no-one is using them correct? So that the proper profiles can be send to P3/P4 on the Xbox controllers. 

Just now, Yardley said:

Your setup is different, I have the same thing. IPAC's are keyboard based, Xinmo acts like a controller. BTW, when you play 4 player games do you use only the Xbox controllers? Or do you have two players on the control panel and two on Xbox controllers? I'm asking because if you do the second option, you'd need to leave the first two controllers on even if no-one is using them correct? So that the proper profiles can be send to P3/P4 on the Xbox controllers. 

For 4 players games i have Joystick 1 and 2 as player 1 and 2.

And then Xbox controllers:   Xbox 1, Xbox 2, Xbox 3, Xbox4 as Player 1, 2,3 and 4

So you can use Joy1, Joy2, Xbox1, Xbox2 as Player 1 and 2.   Xbox 3 and 4 would be for Player 3 and 4.

Just now, ci2own said:

For 4 players games i have Joystick 1 and 2 as player 1 and 2.

And then Xbox controllers:   Xbox 1, Xbox 2, Xbox 3, Xbox4 as Player 1, 2,3 and 4

So you can use Joy1, Joy2, Xbox1, Xbox2 as Player 1 and 2.   Xbox 3 and 4 would be for Player 3 and 4.

Yep, but you have to keep Xbox1 and Xbox2 turned on even if the players are using Joy1 and Joy2 instead correct?

1 minute ago, Yardley said:

Yep, but you have to keep Xbox1 and Xbox2 turned on even if the players are using Joy1 and Joy2 instead correct?

I can just have only P3 and P4 for Xbox if i just want to use 2 joys and 2 xbox for 4 players games.

Just now, ci2own said:
1 minute ago, Yardley said:

I can just have only P3 and P4 for Xbox if i just want to use 2 joys and 2 xbox for 4 players games.

How? When you have only 2 Xbox controllers plugged in they're automatically assigned the P1/P2 profiles. 

Just now, Yardley said:

How? When you have only 2 Xbox controllers plugged in they're automatically assigned the P1/P2 profiles. 

It doesn't really matter if it loads P1 and P2 or P3 and P4. Because Joystics are loaded with WINIPAC profiles as keyboard keys, and XBOX are loaded with Xpadder also as keyboard keys too. So you can load Joy1, Joy2 and XBOX1, XBOX2 named P1 and P2 but with different keys as the joystick ones. Don't know if i explain right.

Joystick 1 Keys:   Up, Down, Left, Right, H, J, K, L

Joystick 2 Keys:  G, B,V,N, Z, X, A,S

XBOX 1 Keys: E,D,S,F,Q,W,R,T.  (Doesn't matter if is loaded as P1, or P3)

XBOX 2 Keys: Y,U,I,O,M,C,?,?  (Doesn't matter if is loaded as P2, or P4)

It doesn't matter how is it loaded because keys are different. It would matter if keys were the same on Joys and Xbox.

The same keys must be configured on the emulator (in this case MAME).

2 minutes ago, ci2own said:

It doesn't really matter if it loads P1 and P2 or P3 and P4. Because Joystics are loaded with WINIPAC profiles as keyboard keys, and XBOX are loaded with Xpadder also as keyboard keys too. So you can load Joy1, Joy2 and XBOX1, XBOX2 named P1 and P2 but with different keys as the joystick ones. Don't know if i explain right.

Yeah you're leaving out some major details. I have everything configured to work the same way with custom WINIPAC profiles but to get things to work both when 2 Xbox controllers are plugged in and also when 4 xbox controllers are plugged in takes some doing. I use alternate MAME emulators with the keys reversed for example so that when 2 Xbox controllers are plugged in, they are assigned P1/P2 profiles and therefore end up being players 3 and 4 while the control panel joysticks get assigned custom WINIPAC profiles to match P1/P2 in MAME. 

5 minutes ago, ci2own said:

Joystick 1 Keys:   Up, Down, Left, Right, H, J, K, L

Joystick 2 Keys:  G, B,V,N, Z, X, A,S

XBOX 1 Keys: E,D,S,F,Q,W,R,T.  (Doesn't matter if is loaded as P1, or P3)

XBOX 2 Keys: Y,U,I,O,M,C,?,?  (Doesn't matter if is loaded as P2, or P4)

It doesn't matter how is it loaded because keys are different. It would matter if keys were the same on Joys and Xbox.

The same keys must be configured on the emulator (in this case MAME).

I'm not fully understanding your method but that's ok, whatever works. It sounds like we're both getting what we need in our own way. 

Archived