Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Your Hyperspin Cabinet. Share your experience

propdept

Hello everyone I’m just about done with all the software now I’m getting ready to work on my cabinet. And  I began to think about all of you out there and I began to wonder, how much maintenance do you have to perform on your cabinet and the PC and the software to make sure everything is running ok?

And I have sat here and  designed the Hyperspin lay out For 17 systems and I have to ask myself what I have configured is it stable? Is it normal errors might crop up from time to time?  Basically I’m wondering what I have configured is it a stable build how can I check and be certain?

Once you have finished your cabinet do you constantly add more systems or for you once the cabinet is done it’s done? 

I have to tell all of you I had no idea about the people who sell preconfigure hard drives out there, but I must tell you that I blundered into hyper spin and from their rocket launcher and the other emulators and configured my game cabinet from scratch.  I am so proud of what ihave accomplished.   I tend to refer to my Hyperspin configuration as my midlife crisis game system partly because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it!

And I am I am glad   I chose to configure my system from scratch knowing what I know today! So my questions above are for me to understand what lays ahead  as I built my cabinet and what things I may encounter and that’s the reason I am concerned about how stable my configuration 

• 3 weeks later...

@propdept I have been working on my hyperspin setup (with 115 systems, including collections like Capcom, midway, etc) for about 2 years. Still I have a few systems that I have not been able to configure properly, maybe because I have a lot of systems and I can't keep up, but I am very happy with what I have done until now.

For your question, I can say that the emulator that is gonna keep you updating is Retroarch, but it runs a lot of systems and you would be only updating only emulator, pretty much. for MAME, I think as long as your rom set works then there wont be a need to change it.

You should leave room to add more systems, as once you get it working well, you will feel greedy to add more stuff lol.

I just finished my cab and am tweaking the graphics, controls, etc.  But I did the programming on a test CP for almost 3 years.  I would recommend striving to get your system to the point where it is as stable as possible, then lock it down.  I went through and deleted a ton of the less stable games in an effort to make the arcade experience as smooth as possible for the end user.  Raiden IV, for example, or the Sega Model 2 games (Nebula Emu).  I had also removed the Demul lineup (Naomi, Atomiswave), but the recent version of that emu is just too smooth not to include it.

Back to the point - DO make sure you can easily access the usb ports within your cab so you can add games/software later (or install an external usb port).  DO get everything stable with the latest versions of everything.  Then DON'T get wound up in constant updates unless there is a dramatic benefit to doing so.  Most of the emus haven't made any dramatic improvements in over a year due to reaching saturation, and the current versions of HS and RL are very stable.

20180209_08427.jpg.8996260e66f1107a8ad4ed1b46be46e5.jpg

Let me first say how grateful I am that all of you have replied and here I am gonna be adding one more system to my build and after I lock this down has to be transferred over to the main computer that will inhabit the cabinet    I have been designing everything on my main desktop upstairs and I’m going to be  buying a new computer and transferring everything that I’ve designed into that.call me paranoid it’s just that every time I turn hyper spin on my afriad something is just going to break all by itself.   Once I get the cabinet ready and the Control Panel that begins the long process of configuring the Control Panel to games.    And then you’re absolutely right about making sure that the USB connections are easily accessible because three of my systems, N64, PS2 and SNES  I am going to buy separate controllers for each of those systems and not rely on the Control Panel.

So far I have configured MAME,  Atari 2600 5200 7800 and Lynx.   Mattel Intellivision,  Coleco vision PlayStation 2 Sega master system Sega Genesis Sega CD Sega 32x and Vectrex.   I know I missing something anyway I am very proud of what have set up so far.   I have to confide in you I had no idea what I was getting into a year and a half ago I had no idea what hyper spin was rocket launcher or how to configure any of the emulators I simply learn by watching tutorials on YouTube 

5 hours ago, propdept said:

I have to confide in you I had no idea what I was getting into a year and a half ago I had no idea what hyper spin was rocket launcher or how to configure any of the emulators I simply learn by watching tutorials on YouTube 

Me to and look ! I'm here all the time .

My build should start this year fingers crossed!

you and the other builders keep me inspired everyday :)

THATMAN84.  The only piece of advice that I can give to you so far is that you go on YouTube and watch tutorial videos on how to set up Hyperspin Rocket launcher retro arch the one channel that you definitely want to subscribe to is simply Austin

IMHO getting the EMUs running really wasn't the most time consuming part.  What will kill you will be solving the little problems.  Like why does my emu window flicker for a second during fade in?  Or why does my HS wheel show through my bezel?  Or why do my games work fine in the EMU but there are problems when they run through the launcher?  Or why can't I find a theme for the Korean fighting game "Rabbit"?  Or why does the flash animation in a theme make my PC completely lock up during wheel selection?  Trust me, you'll have the base foundation up and running in no time.  It will be all the little things that will keep you up late.  I would recommend getting everything running smoothly and looking pretty on each system, then move on.  You can always add more games once each system is stable.  And be prepared to have the artwork take some time - FTP is the ONLY way to go for this.

You also might want to be forward-thinking when you set up your frontend and launcher.  If you're new to this, you might not understand what I'm saying next, but you will soon enough.  Try to put your HS and launcher folder on your computer's main directory (the C: drive for most) and make as many folder paths relative as you can.  If you ever need to switch out your hard drive, you can then just take a few folders from your old drive, drop them on your C: directory and everything will magically work.  But if you put some of your files in your pictures directory, then others in your documents, then others in downloads, etc, etc, it will be a nightmare to migrate the system.  It might make sense at the time, but just consider what will happen if you need to move everything somewhere else, or if you decide to make another system, but with different hardware.  Think modular, not system or hardware-specific.

Last piece of advice.  Be prepared to compromise quality for stability in some cases.  A quick example:  The AAE emulator is THE best looking vector EMU there is.  It also hasn't been worked on in over 10 years, is WAY behind the times from a technical standpoint, isn't all that stable, and doesn't render in HD...  but damn it sure makes those Asteroids shots stand out along with silky smooth frame rates.  But MAME, when combined with proper HLSL effects, does a great job with vector games and is mega-stable....but you can just BARELY see those 1-pixel shots.  So you compromise.  Or you don't, and slug it out.

I'll stop preaching.  Have fun on the journey.  I'm kind of sorry mine's over. Maybe I'll make a mini-arcade with only 1 JS and 3 buttons...

• 2 months later...

Lol.  Always interesting to see real people behind the efforts.

Quick heads up on your side art - most large-format printers run at 150 dpi, so make sure your artwork is AT LEAST 150 dpi and full-scale if you want it to be crisp.  That means that at 6ft tall, your side art should have a resolution of approximately 4000 x 10,800.  Creating an image that large isn't a big deal, but that means your logo components will all need to be roughly HD resolution (say, 2000 x 2000).  If you do an image look up for each game image you want on Google, filtering by at least 2MP and higher, you should be able to find most of the classics in some form or other.  For example, a quick search for "Asteroids game" turned up an Asteroids marquee image that was 4000 pixels wide, so finding artwork shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a small image that you REALLY want on your cab, you can always use a vector converter program (Vector Magic comes to mind) to import any image, convert it to vector, then re-save it as a jpg/png/bmp/whatever at resolutions up to 10,000 x 10,000.  Vector art is lossless when enlarged, so it's ideal if you need to blow up an image to a massive scale.  Cell-shaded style artwork enlarges flawlessly, but anything with shading and gradients will be more of a challenge and might require some Photoshop-ing after the artwork is enlarged.

You put Fix-it-Felix in your system?  I was never able to get the resolution to scale to an acceptable size, and sometimes the wrapper would crash.  So I ended up removing it.  I knew a lot less about the scene back then, so maybe I'll try again.

Archived