Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How to create Hyperspin themes - Nvidia Shield

DrSoupants

Dear Hyperspinners

First of all, a huge shout out to the amazing feedback on my last questions. You guys are fabulous! Ok....now for my question.

I have a about 12-13 systems that I am setting up on the Nvidia Shield Hyperspin. I am wanting to know how to create MAME themes - particularly Midway Classics and Capcom Classics. I have downloaded the xml file (in addition to the relevant artwork) from this site, however I want to know where to paste this in my main Hyperspin folder and calibrate it so that it will show up in the Hyperspin main menu? Will I have to edit the xml file? Do I need a separate settings file? Any step by step instructions would be fabulous!!! Please use quite basic language to help answer this question...….I know very little about Hyperspin and am just at the beginning of my journey.  

For the record, I am using a PC and an external hard drive to setup Hyperspin, then transferring this to the emulated storage on my Nvidia Shield. 

Again.....Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

Soup Pants

Creating themes and adding them are two different questions. 

If you already have the zip files they live in the Hyperspin/Media/Main Menu/Themes folder. I might have the path slightly off but you get the idea. 

You will have a Main Menu.xml file in the Database folder. You edit this to add or remove the systems you want on the main menu. 

Keep in mind that how things are named is very important when using a Hyperspin. Names must match exactly 

I don't want to do anything in regards to creating artwork or wheel art etc. I want to use existing artwork  to basically group the games together into one wheel (and background) etc. A little like grouping all of the Capcom games together in one wheel (excluding the other MAME games) and repeating this for other companies that make arcade games. I hope that makes sense. 

I know that but the name of the thread suggests content creation. 

Just add the systems to the Main Menu.xml, they are shown in the order you list them in the xml.

There are already classics wheels for Capcom, Midway, irem, Konami etc etc. I'm fairly certain my classics system ini's just point to my mame roms folder as it made life easier. 

You can look at this old video of my setup to get an idea of how it can look. 

The best way to add a system is with HyperHQ on the PC. Theres a main menu wizard which you type your name and it creates all the files/folders needed and adds to the main meu.xml file also.

If thats not availiable the files needed are as follows (i have a template folder/file set for ease also)

Lets take Capcom Classics for example.

Hyperspin/Databases/Capcom Classics/Capcom Classics.xml (from site, Hyperlist or selfmade)

Hyperspin/Settings or Settings_Android/Capcom Classics.ini (copy, paste, rename your MAME.ini file for ease)

Hyperspin/Media/Main Menu/

You need a Capcom Classics Video, theme, wheel image all named Capcom Classics in the relevent folders Images/Wheel etc

You will need the system specific media like everything eles in

Hyperspin/Media/Capcom Classics

And finally you will need to add this system to your main menu by editig your Main Menu.xml or Main Menu_Android.xml depending on your setup

I cant remeber the syntax off hand but as Hono pointed out the name in here govens everything else so Capcom Classics NOT capcom classics

So long as they all match

:)

6 hours ago, DrSoupants said:

You guys are fantastic! Thank you SO much!!! Thatman84 & Honosuseri..........you must be responsible for helping others build the most killer setups ever. Thanks heaps!

Yes we are! lol Sadly I don't do videos anymore but Thatman has written up tutorials on here. We've even gone as far to get "new" stuff added at members requests...like Quake. We actually had to make the artwork for that and record the video previews.

I've seen plenty of Shield setups but not quite as fancy as mine. Although my setup would be nothing if it wasn't for all the amazing content creators who made the themes etc. Yes I've made some of my own but I'm not nearly as skilled as some of these talented guys

Honosuseri! The work done on this project is impressive beyond belief! I would be very happy to send you my external hard drive for you to show me just how impressive your setup is (half joking, half serious!!!). Or I could just keep plugging away! Thanks so much again!

46 minutes ago, DrSoupants said:

Honosuseri! The work done on this project is impressive beyond belief! I would be very happy to send you my external hard drive for you to show me just how impressive your setup is (half joking, half serious!!!). Or I could just keep plugging away! Thanks so much again!

No we can't do that for you sadly, sorry. I did post a video of my setup but it has changed since then, gives you an idea of how cool Hyperspin can look though.

Even Thatman who is an admin is pretty impressed with my setup. He saw I had the themes unique for each game in the Arcade Classics and it tempted him to do the same. Be creative! I don't want my setup to look like everyone elses. I use retro TV ads for some systems on the main menu, like the Amiga which we have created a new theme for now. When we added Quake and Doom I used music videos, like i did for Capcom Classics to help things stand out. To do a wheel for the Android games, I had to make quite a few themes up. Rather than record gameplay for the video previews, I used cool looking trailers for the games instead to get the job done quickly.

I'm hearing Sega Naomi and Sammy Atomiswave could well be the next systems on our hit list very soon. I'm quite excited to get those added, things are always evolving and getting better and better. We look forward to seeing what you can create with your imagination in time.

No worries. I've helped a few friends out, they'd tell you themselves that me doing everything for them does them no real favours in the long run. When things go wrong and they will, you need to know how to fix it yourself. So I've only helped friends I know are willing to learn and become members here, joining our Hyperspin family.

I fly out next week and will be at sea more and more as time goes by. So I won't be as active on here to help people BUT there are guys like Thatman, who do their best to help other members of our "Android Family".

All the best with it.

Archived