Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Understanding Daphne, using RetroArch

Honosuseri

Hello,  I have used the provided Daphne core with retroarch 1.7.7 and can confirm Dragons Lair works with it. Using the exact same files when I run the play store version of RetroArch 1.8.2 and use the Daphne core the game plays well, able to close the content, play other games, do everything you would want to do using Hyperspin on my Nvidia Shield, the issue is, there is no sound.. Curious if everyone else is having the same results. I can use 1.7.7 with .4 of the special core and play with sound, but it does not close correctly, I generally have to force stop retroarch and hyperspin, kill cache, reboot the system so I can play it again, the 64bit 1.8.2 core seems solid, and a good choice if your using a front end but the lack of sound is a bit disheartening. If there is a better core for the 32bit 1.7.7 or any tricks people might know about the 64bit 1.8.2 this seems like a good thread to put them in as google will lead people here. Thanks and Happy New Year..

• 5 months later...

Thanks to you I finally got this working!

You are a super star, thank you so much for making the video.

For reference if anyone else is struggling, I am running mine from an external 4TB drive.

My path in my framefile using bega as an example is /storage/C67E63897E6370DB/Hyperspin/Emulators/Daphne/Daphne/bega

On 1/2/2020 at 12:12 PM, Zeosstud said:

Hello,  I have used the provided Daphne core with retroarch 1.7.7 and can confirm Dragons Lair works with it. Using the exact same files when I run the play store version of RetroArch 1.8.2 and use the Daphne core the game plays well, able to close the content, play other games, do everything you would want to do using Hyperspin on my Nvidia Shield, the issue is, there is no sound.. Curious if everyone else is having the same results. I can use 1.7.7 with .4 of the special core and play with sound, but it does not close correctly, I generally have to force stop retroarch and hyperspin, kill cache, reboot the system so I can play it again, the 64bit 1.8.2 core seems solid, and a good choice if your using a front end but the lack of sound is a bit disheartening. If there is a better core for the 32bit 1.7.7 or any tricks people might know about the 64bit 1.8.2 this seems like a good thread to put them in as google will lead people here. Thanks and Happy New Year..

Hey there, I'm using the 1.8.7 32bit core from this thread. Works well and has sound on the Daphne roms. I exit by hitting the exit button and it seems to close correctly for me. 

I do have an issue where all my roms work apart from Dragon's Lair II. Does that one work for you? It just won't boot up for me, but works fine in the daphneloader.exe

On 6/19/2020 at 11:45 PM, Acet said:

Thanks to you I finally got this working!

You are a super star, thank you so much for making the video.

For reference if anyone else is struggling, I am running mine from an external 4TB drive.

My path in my framefile using bega as an example is /storage/C67E63897E6370DB/Hyperspin/Emulators/Daphne/Daphne/bega

You're welcome! Happy to hear another one of my threads has been useful to you. Just an FYI as you seem to be new here. If you want to thank me you can rate the thread and/or click the "Mario Mushrooms" to leave a like or Super like etc. Yes it ups my rep but more importantly it just helps other members/readers of the thread see if it's helpful.

On a side note I can't answer your question about Dragon's Lair II from memory. I have the STV packed away now, I do intend to return to it soon. I have my updated Amiga project to transfer onto it and there are other RA cores now, so I'd like to do a wheel for Quake II and it's expansions as I already did Quake and Doom

Thanks Honosuseri, I'm also taking a keen interest in your Amiga project. Massive Amiga fan. Grew up on stuff like Wizball, Xenon 2, Barbarian (too many great games to list here). 

I also got my Dragon's Lair II working, I just run the update from Daphneloader and copied across the downloaded files. 

Reviving a slightly older thread, but as it seems to be the closest to the topic at hand, and I used it as a guide, figured it's as good a place as any to start.  In this case, I was able to get the Daphne core working with Retroarch, able to launch and run the games.  The trouble I'm having is getting it to launch from within Hyperspin.  

I even tried to take a look at the Daphne.ini settings you have in the video to make sure I have the same, and I renamed the .so file to match as well.  But it seems something in the execution call is invalid.  When I try to launch from within Hyperspin, I just get a black screen, and when I kill the app and look at the Retroarch log, I see something like the following:

[ERROR] Frontend is built for dynamic libretro cores, but path is not set. Cannot continue.

[ERROR] Fatal error received in: "init_libretro_symbols()

I'm assuming this is meaning I'm not properly calling the core or some error in a config file, but I'm at a loss as to which or where.  My ini file is set to match what's in the video for the key lines:

rompath=Emulators/Daphne/Roms/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=zip
parameters=cores/daphne_libreto_android.so

Any ideas on this one?  For what it's worth, I'm using the 32bit patch of Retroarch as detailed at https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/9430#issuecomment-619836645, with the test core from the link in this thread.  As noted, it launches and works from within Retroarch, it's just when trying to launch from Hyperspin that I see the error.

And a related side question.  Are you able to exit a game gracefully in this Daphne core?  Retroarch freezes when I try to close content and I have to force stop the app.

8 minutes ago, Moebius01 said:

And it's not until I finally give up searching and post the question, that I see the typo in the INI file.  Gotta love the way that works.

Yes the parameters line is wrong. If you scroll up in this thread you'll see the link to the modified Hyperspin.apk I've done. It solely uses RetroArch_ra32 so you won't need to "patch" RA32 when you want to use an updated build. You will need to edit the ini files in the settings_android folder but I explain how to do them all in one go in that thread. 

1 hour ago, Honosuseri said:

Yes the parameters line is wrong. If you scroll up in this thread you'll see the link to the modified Hyperspin.apk I've done. It solely uses RetroArch_ra32 so you won't need to "patch" RA32 when you want to use an updated build. You will need to edit the ini files in the settings_android folder but I explain how to do them all in one go in that thread. 

Yeah, libreto vs libretro was a tricky one to see, especially trying to edit from the couch using a controller.  It was when I came back to the PC and copied the file to post that I caught it. :)  As to the builds, in this case, a bit of a double whammy.  I was also trying to get some of the recent updates, plus the ability to use the Mame 2010 core, and had stumbled on that github thread before taking on the Daphne quest.  At present, the game launches fine from both retroarch and hyperspin, so I'm on the right path, though I'm still seeing the full freeze when I try to close content, either from Hyperspin or just using Retroarch.  For now, chalking that up to the particular combination of builds I'm using.  Unfortunately, no help in the log as it's a straight freeze when I try to close content.  Have to force close Retroarch each time.

Now on to the other quest.  Trying to figure out which version of the game allows continue options.  It's been 36 years since I beat Dragon's Lair.  Can't quite remember all the patterns.  :D 

I can only get the alpha test core to work, expect crashes etc. as after all it is a test core but overall it works quite well. The Daphne core from the online updater doesn't work. I've tried manually installing the Daphne core for armeabi (https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android/latest/armeabi/), that works but there is no audio. It was worth a shot as the Atari 800 core from there works for those who want to play the Atari 5200 with RA32.

I'm sure the official core will work one day, I'm not holding my breath though as it's not worked for a very long time!

• 1 month later...

A great way to play Dragons Lair, Dragons Lair 2 and Space Ace is to get the wii.iso and play it using the Dolphin Emulator. The game runs well using an Nvidia Shield, a crap PC, an Android phone. It also launches just fine from Hyperspin and exits cleanly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, some time ago I had thought about integrating Daphne into retroarch for your convenience, but today I do not see it feasible, already with outdated core, and the truth, with the boost that the system is receiving since last year with singe 2, has no color, possibility of 1080 and 4k, many new homebrew creations, such as the ones I've been uploading themes ... radical changes, renewed bookmarks and interface .., controls .. To what is Add American Laser Games, Action Max .. I currently have the hybrid system, except for 5 or 6 that I still have with Daphne, everything else you can find easy on Google for Singe 2. It's an opinion, greetings

Archived