The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Another spec me a PC question

AndyBak

Looking to build another cabinet and at the point where I need to source the computer (so far I have setup/configured everything on a VM on my main machine). The machine will be running MAME, many of the older consoles (e.g. Megadrive, SNES), and probably the most demanding being Dolphin for Gamecube/Wii.

Already have the drives (SSD for O/S, standard SATA for roms/media). Any recommendations on a cpu, motherboard, memory, and PSU (and GPU if onboard would not be sufficient)?

Ideally nothing too expensive bank breaking but can stretch if really needed.

Thanks in advance. :)

I made a list a while back for those who keep asking me for advice where to start with Dolphin

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 - $90

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K (Boxed, Socket 1150, 3,4GHz) - $200

Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition - $35

Mem: Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU (8GB Dual Channel DDR3-kit @ PC3-12800) - $60

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming (1,085GHz 2GB GDDR5) - $200

HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD (SATA-600) - $70

PSU: Cooler Master VS V550S - $75

Yeah, a 4670k, an overclockable mobo (z87-z97) and a GOOD heatsink is what you really need for dolphin and pcsx2. GTX760 is maybe a little overpowered for emulation but it's a really good bang for bucks regarding windows gaming at 1080p :)

No requirement for pcsx2 but I may have to consider removing Wii/GameCube from scope as the above spec is a little too pricey. Used to use dolphin a few years back on an older 4core system without issue so was expecting to be able to use a cheaper CPU these days. :(

There is a new unlocked K-Series CPU called the Intel G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) that has just been released, it can be overclocked to over 4GHz (some say 4.6GHz) it's only Dual Core (not a problem for Emulation as only 2 cores are needed) and it's around the £50 mark.

I have ordered one but it's taking forever to arrive! (that will teach me to use free delivery options! lol) so i cannot comment on it's performance, but reading online it appears that it's very impressive for emulation and pretty much the same emulation performance as a 4770K at the same speed.

I will be posting some results when i finally get mine!

There is a new unlocked K-Series CPU called the Intel G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) that has just been released, it can be overclocked to over 4GHz (some say 4.6GHz) it's only Dual Core (not a problem for Emulation as only 2 cores are needed) and it's around the £50 mark.

I have ordered one but it's taking forever to arrive! (that will teach me to use free delivery options! lol) so i cannot comment on it's performance, but reading online it appears that it's very impressive for emulation and pretty much the same emulation performance as a 4770K at the same speed.

I will be posting some results when i finally get mine!

Just posted on your other post regarding this processor. Just found it for £41.99 on Aria.co.uk

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Intel+Pentium+K+Anniversary+G3258+Socket+LGA1150+Processor+?productId=61067

Keep us posted

My G3258 has finally arrived! Will be testing tonight...

Ive gone for a MSI B85I GAMING motherboard (M-ITX due to my case) but i'm not 100% sure it's going to be suitable - some say that the Overclocking options have been nuked, where others say that K series unlocked processors can have thier multipliers increased. Plus it says Overclocking all over the box.....

EDIT: Avoid B85 chipset motherboards, some apparently do allow for overclocking, but the B85I GAMING does not! Go for a Z97 chipset, its a bit more cash but would allow for overclocking. Having to return my B85 board as it's not able to increase the multiplier, should have a Z97 in the next few days...

Archived