The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Help a hypernewbie with some basic overview questions

jamaster14

i tried replacing intro.flv with an .mp4 video i named intro.mp4. when i did that and started HS all i got was a black screen that never went away

is there a section somewhere for premade intros? i found some on youtube but id love to pop on a nintendo themed one :)

heres some hyperspin ones

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=191

there are lots of custom ones people have made all over the internet just google "hyperspin intro video"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, im sure this is staring me right in the face, but how do you start hyperspin in full screen mode?

open up Hyperspin>Settings>Settings.ini

underneath [Resolution] change FullScreen=false to FullScreen=true

Is there a way to change the delay on how long it takes for the box art to come up when scrolling through games on the wheel?

it seems the box art comes up before you can even read the games. can this delay be lengthened? i did a search, it say to edit themes.xml but i dont have this file?

Its in media\<system name>\themes\default.zip

thanks, that worked like a charm...

i notices in the themes folder there were like 16 themes for various games... if i delete those would that game go back to just showing the boxart and video?

Here is a video of my progress so far for anyone interested:

Sorry for the lack of sound and my ugly reflection but this was a quick video i took at work. thanks for all your help, would never have gotten this far this quick without the helpful responses

I toyed with the same idea, to the point where I made a boot animation

it has a Nintendo logo

and a progress bar that adds mushrooms as its booting.

you need to use Win7 Boot Updater in order to use it.

http://win7-boot-updater.software.informer.com/

(use program at your own risk worked great for me but according to the author some PCs where screwed up)

you can also change the "Staring Windows" and "Microsoft Corporation" text to whatever you want with this program.

another thing I have is a

coin (mouse icon) logo for the spinning circle

blank logo for the arrow

as you boot up. Unfortunately you have to go into your Registry in order to change them.

I toyed with the same idea, to the point where I made a boot animation

it has a Nintendo logo

and a progress bar that adds mushrooms as its booting.

you need to use Win7 Boot Updater in order to use it.

http://win7-boot-updater.software.informer.com/

(use program at your own risk worked great for me but according to the author some PCs where screwed up)

you can also change the "Staring Windows" and "Microsoft Corporation" text to whatever you want with this program.

another thing I have is a

coin (mouse icon) logo for the spinning circle

blank logo for the arrow

as you boot up. Unfortunately you have to go into your Registry in order to change them.

is the file you attatched the boot animation or the coin art? i was gonna work on editing my mushroom background to an animation where you get an extra moushroom as it goes along like you described, if you've got one made id love to incorporate it in my build

I attached the boot animation you update using Win7-boot Updater,

its similar to this one, only I used cleaner images and the progress bar loops.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Nintendo-Boot-Screen-91173945

you can get examples here

http://www.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=bootskin&offset=144

I did not include the mouse icons, you can get them here

Mario 8-bit cursors

http://www.rw-designer.com/tag/mario

multiple ways to shell your PC

I choose Step 7

http://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-modify-windows-7-to-boot-straight-into-media-front-end.1520187/

During boot up, I was going to use the star or coin from the Mario Cursor pack for the spinning circle and a blank cursor for the arrow.

the only thing is that you need to change them manually by editing paths in your Registry values.

you can use those instant sheller programs but they will not add any custom cursors, they will only hide them.

During boot up, I was going to use the star or coin from the Mario Cursor pack for the spinning circle and a blank cursor for the arrow.

the only thing is that you need to change them manually by editing paths in your Registry values.

you can use those instant sheller programs but they will not add any custom cursors, they will only hide them.

Thanks, that animation is really nice. is it tough to make? I'd like to try making one of my own... similar to the loading image i have in my video, only animated where there is an extra mushroom as time goes on like yours. (i like my mushrooms better :) )

Edit: I just made an animation using windows move maker:

Are their restrictions to what can be used for the boot animation? file extension? files size? Length? the video is 28 seconds long, 1 second for each of the 12 progress bar mushrooms and then 16 seconds on the last loading screen. my windows logon image is going to be the same image as the image this animation ends on, to try and keep it a bit seamless

as far as cursors, id like to just remove them/hide them all together, so that the boot up is as seamless with as much of windows hidden as possible. can you hude/change the cursors for boot up but still see them if exiting hyperspin and launching windows explorer after boot up, or is it global or nothing?

Xpadder.... headbrick.gif

proving to be the biggest stickling point so far. watched and read a few tutorials, but most of them its already set up and they just customize it. i can get it to work where it controls the front end, but then its still acting as a mouse/keyboard once the emulator launch and buton presses exit the emulator.

is there a step by step on this? im running out of hair to pull out

Xpadder.... headbrick.gif

proving to be the biggest stickling point so far. watched and read a few tutorials, but most of them its already set up and they just customize it. i can get it to work where it controls the front end, but then its still acting as a mouse/keyboard once the emulator launch and buton presses exit the emulator.

is there a step by step on this? im running out of hair to pull out

Is xpadder just for controlling the front end?

You need a frontend profile and a default profile.

You need to enable keymapper for RocketLauncher

You need to make sure the profiles are in the correct place according to the instructions on the hyperlaunch website.

You need to follow the instructions that I linked to in a post earlier in this thread.

Maybe the new HyperSpin Startup Script I will release soon might work for you without the need for xpadder. I haven't released it yet since I'm still finding bugs.

You need a frontend profile and a default profile.

You need to enable keymapper for RocketLauncher

You need to make sure the profiles are in the correct place according to the instructions on the hyperlaunch website.

You need to follow the instructions that I linked to in a post earlier in this thread.

Maybe the new HyperSpin Startup Script I will release soon might work for you without the need for xpadder. I haven't released it yet since I'm still finding bugs.

Front end profile and default profile in xpadder or HL?

ill find that post and give it another go. i think im mostly just unclear on what controls what. i read in another thread xpadder is only difficult untl you "get it" but then its cake. i guess i dont get it yet :)

i have my machine setup to boot right into hyperspin. is this going to be an issue to where i need t find a way to have xpadder loaded with it?

How do I get my joystick to work with HyperSpin?

How do I get the HyperSpin Profile working?

1.) Get xpadder $10

2.) Put xpadder in a Utilities folder in your HyperSpin folder (C:\HyperSpin\Utilities\xpadder\xpadder.exe)

3.) Open xpadder, create a controller file left hand corner of xpadder

4.) Create a profile for that controller (right hand corner) with the mappings needed to navigate hyperspin.

5.) Name the newly created hyperspin profile p1. Copy your file named p1 and create three more copies named p2, p3, and p4.

6.) Place these profiles in the folder directory as directed by here

7.) Open up HLHQ highlight the global system click on General Settings tab then click on the smaller 3rd party tab. Find Xpadder path setting and make sure it points to your xpadder.exe

8.) Make sure you also the setting Keymapper Front End Profile Name set to HyperSpin

9.) Make sure you have setting Keymapper Front End Profile set to xpadder

10.) Now click on the big tab Settings and then click on the smaller tab main settings. Set keymapper Enabled to true. (Do not disable keymapper per system)

11.) Set keymapper to be xpadder.

Alright almost there, just a few more steps,

12.) Someone already wrote a startup script for you to take care of xpadder loading so we will use that. Get it here. Carefully read the first post about the settings Keymapper= and Keymapper_Enabled= also be sure to read the last sentence of the post and the sentence above "how to make it work."

This is most of getting the keymapper to work, I may have missed a few small details along the way, but you're smart and you will be able to figure out the details I may have forgot.

1) Done

2) Done

3) Done

4) Done - the mappings use the keyboard arrow keys for the dpad keys, and the buttons correlate to escape and enter

5) Done - do they have to be named p1,p2,p3... couldnt they be specific? im really confused as to why they are named what they are and there are 4 copies, 2 of which dont seem to go anywhere?

6) Done - copied P1 and P2 to the directories listed, creating a 'GamePad Pro USB' directory and putting p1/p2 in there

7) Done

8) Done

9) Done

10) Done

11) Done

12) Done - double checked, only ini edit i made was turning keymapper=xpadder and keymapper_enabled=true

i booted up hyperspin and it controlled the wheel fine. but it wouldnt select a game. the same was true if i tried to hit enter on the keyboard and not the mapped button on my gamepad. i rebooted, this time the gamepad woudlnt work at all.

i guess im just not grasping the flow between xpadder, HS, HL, and nestopia :banghead:

edit: fixed, see below...

So a little update:

-windows logon completely hacked so that there are 0 traces of windows 7 and everything has a custom Nintendo image/animation

-NESPC boots directly to hyperspin

-hyperspin installed with fullset of NES roms with all wheel art and videos/movies

all thats left is the controls... oh and building the actualy NESPC (this has all been done on my laptop, i wanted to test everything first :) ). About to dig into the controls and xpadder now. hopefully i can bang this out by tomorrow so the weekend can be dedicated to hardware

thanks for all the awesome help! i feel like ive learned so much in a short span thanks to all the resources here

edit: not much luck with the controls. ive red the xpadder forum and this forum and watched a few videos but just really dont understand how it all works??

1) Done

2) Done

3) Done

4) Done - the mappings use the keyboard arrow keys for the dpad keys, and the buttons correlate to escape and enter

5) Done - do they have to be named p1,p2,p3... couldnt they be specific? im really confused as to why they are named what they are and there are 4 copies, 2 of which dont seem to go anywhere?

6) Done - copied P1 and P2 to the directories listed, creating a 'GamePad Pro USB' directory and putting p1/p2 in there

7) Done

8) Done

9) Done

10) Done

11) Done

12) Done - double checked, only ini edit i made was turning keymapper=xpadder and keymapper_enabled=true

i booted up hyperspin and it controlled the wheel fine. but it wouldnt select a game. the same was true if i tried to hit enter on the keyboard and not the mapped button on my gamepad. i rebooted, this time the gamepad woudlnt work at all.

i guess im just not grasping the flow between xpadder, HS, HL, and nestopia :banghead:

So ghutch was awesome enough to get on a remote session and help me out with the xpadder stuff. there were a couple issues:

1) There is a bug with HyperLaunch and the Controller i was using (Gravis Gamepad Pro USB). Appearantly there is an extra character after "gamepad pro" in the registry but not in the .ini files. Changing the registry entry/correcting the .ini fixed this.

2) My directory structure for where i had my xpadder profiles was slightly off (missing the default subfolder to the system profile folder

after that, everthing worked... to anyone new to this setup, what was most helpful in me understanding it all was this:

xpadder searches in the following order to choose a profile: game, emulator, system, default. as long as you have an accurate profile in one of those directories, your golden.

thanks a ton to ghutch for helping me sort this out.

Here is a video of my software/front end build. It was built on a laptop with a fresh copy of windows 7 pro so i can learn and test and get the kinks out before putting it on my NESPC. Here are the specifics of my build:

-installed HS/HL

-added nestopia/roms

-hyperync to get all the art/images/vids in

-changed the intro to a shorter custom nintendo one (boot time is precious since this is more an HTPC then just desktop emulation)

-changed the windows boot animation to a custom nintendo looking one

-set automatic log ins, and changed the welcome/login screen to a splash screen that says nintendo/loading...

-removed all icons and branding from the logon and boot screens

-set windows to boot directly into hyperspin instead of explorer

-set xpadder up to control hyperspin and to exit/load state/save state in nestopia

-set hyperhq to launch windows explorer on exit

couldnt have done 90% of this without everyones help in this thread. major thanks to all you guys. ill have plenty more pictures and videos of the NESPC as its being built

Is there a way to back out of system menu where you select NES games off the wheel to the top menu where you select game systems from the wheel if you are in "single" mode?

right now i have it booting directly into NES menu, but would like to be able to back out and select super nintendo which im adding next. however excape just exits. i assume since im in single and multi mode, this no longer is an option.

i could go back to multi mode and remove the systems i dont have from the emulators.xml file, but if possible id prefer for HS to boot into NES while retaining the option to go back and choose another system

i feel like ive learned so much in a short span thanks to all the resources here
On 7/24/14 you were a hypernewbie and by 8/8/14 you already seem to know more than I do.

To answer your last question, I don't think you can have it do what you want. Single mode is just that. However, I mean, there is a dirty sort of workaround - I'm honestly not sure if it works in single mode, but I looked at it because I wanted my main wheel to be publishers, then "console/system" then games. The way to do it is to use the genre functionality. If you're really interested in it, you would have to create a genre called "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" and use the official snes xml in place of a genre xml.

Take a look at how genres work/look and if you're interested there's a lot of threads going into more detail.

hit is snag in the hardware portion of my NESPC, waiting for some parts so went back and added SNES to my build. worked like a charm. Then went on try and add MAME since i had the time and really wanted to play all points bulletin. Downloaded 0.154 was able to get it working with hyperspin but hit a couple snags

1) renaming the roms with dons tool didnt work. after some research, it sounded like its a VERY bad idea to rename them. so i moved on, but now my HS wheel has multiple entries for alot of the games.

2) i used hypersync to add art and set it to pommes arcade classics theme, but the wheel are says MAME on the main menu. where would i change that to the arcade classics wheel art?

3) 99% of the roms dont seem to work/be recognized. im not sure if this is a naming issue, a HL issue, a mame issue, or a rom issue. im thinking maybe all 4. when i open mame directly, it only shows like a dozen games. when i run a game through mame, it doesnt find the file its looking for.

i havent really worked much with mame. used an older version like 5 or 10 years ago to play a couple games, that version is nothing like this current one though. should i even be using MAME or should i be using MESS instead? Will MESS work with a mame 0.154 romset?

any resources i can look into for this?

edit: also, had some issues getting my controller to work with snes through xpadder. do the profiles need to be named p1, p2, etc... i named these snes_p1 and snes_p2, not sure if thats causing the issue? guess i can test that easy enough once i get home

Ran into another issue... not sure if there is an easy fix.

I have no sound on when i launch an NES game through hyperspin into Nestopia. The sound works fine when i launch an SNES game through hyperspin into SXNES9.

not sure if its because i boot directly into hyperspin and not windows explorer?? kind of miffed as to why sounds works with snes but not nestopia?

edit: appears to be a directX issue as i get a "directsoundcreate8() failed" error when setting the nestopia audio settings to my hdmi drivers. guess i need to update that.

Edit: hmmm, appears i already have the most up to date directx.... the sound will play fine on my laptop speakers using the realtek driver, but will not play on my television speakers using the hdmi drivers. the SNES has no issue playing over my television speakers... any ideas?

Archived