Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

New Bartop taking shape

richie_jones

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked back through your build. and noticed ur using the same amp I just ordered. are they 2way 4inch speakers your using also?

how do u find the sound? I haven't been able to test mine yet (waiting on amp) but do u find its got enough overall range? I have been using my 5.1 desktop speakers while setting up my hyperspin machine. and I'm worried going to the 4inch speakers I'm going to lose some of that low range (bass)

The speakers are 4 inch 2 way, the ones pictured in my build thread were a cheap set off eBay about £15 pound, I wasn't happy with the sound they didn't handle any sort of bass. I've since changed these for some £30 blaupunkt speakers which is a massive improvement. They handle the full range well. I wouldn't say they can handle a lot of volume, but there more than loud enough for the arcade machine, music sounds great through them also. The bass is also much better.

One issue I had with the amp was interference noise through the speakers, sorted this with a cable clamped under one of the motherboard screws and connected to the case of the amp, just make sure you scrape the paint off your mounting point on the amp first...

I have plans for some small tweeters mounted at the front of the cab as its noticeable lacking sound from the front of the arcade machine due to my speaker locations at the back...

The amps not bad I'm sure there are better ones but for the price I can't complain...just don't buy cheap speakers...

Speakers were originally a cheap set off eBay not very happy with sound so purchased a set of blaupunkt for 30pound...miles better with deep bass and decent treble. Not able to push them to loud but there more than enough for gaming and for jukebox duties. There loud enough for a decent music session but I wouldn't take it to a party if you know what I mean..

I'm impressed with the amp.

Suffered Some interference issues but sorted with a grounding cable connected to the motherboard. Just make sure you scratch the paint off the amp where you connect it to under the mounting screw...

• 2 months later...

I`ve also modified the power supply by soldering on the monitor cable to the incoming mains. *This will leave me with only the one lead out the back to power the Cab..

345dggm.jpg

Hey Richie, do you know where I can find the instructions on how to do this? Thanks

Yeah it's pretty easy. Just take the top cover off your psu, and locate where the L N and E pins are and just solder your monitor cable that you've cut the plug off onto the correct pins. Your basically soldering to the back side of the socket where the power lead goes into the psu. Some psu's are really easy as there's loads of space inside, this one wasn't and was pretty tight to get to, sometimes you can bend the side walls out a little to give you more room for soldering.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend this mod if your not confident in the soldering side of things, just make sure you know what pin is what on both the psu and the lead. use a multimeter on bleep test to check what pin is what.

Oh and don't forget to thread your cable through the hole before you solder it on the psu!!!!!!

Obviously I wouldn't recommend this mod if your not confident in the soldering side of things, just make sure you know what pin is what on both the psu and the lead. use a multimeter on bleep test to check what pin is what.

Yea this is the part I'm not sure about, getting the pins right. What I'm looking for on the multimeter when I test the pins? Will I get a reading from the cable coming from the monitor too? I'm doing this test while unplugged right?

Haha yes definately when NOT plugged in. You can plug your lead into the psu and not in the wall socket. Then with the cover off test with your meter which pin inside relates to the pin on the plug. To be honest its normally obvious when you remove the lid. Red wire live, blue neutral and green earth. Sometimes there marked on the female end of your psu lead..L E N..normally earth is the middle pin....

Please dont do anything your not sure about...im sure you could get an electrician to help you out...

That's pretty awesome' date=' too bad it doesn't have the screw holes on the male side.[/quote']

My thoughts exactly...but I couldn't ever find one that did with the dual outlets. So I'm just gonna glue it unless I see a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Archived