Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Planning a cabinet build - need some advice

lordmata

Hello,

I've finally decided to build a 4-player MAME-like cabinet running Hyperspin (Can't wait to get the family together for the classics like Mario Kart 64 and Mario party). Planning on having systems up to PS2 and Wii (maybe even some new PC games).

So, considering it's a 4-player cabinet, what monitor size do you recommend? I was I have a spare 24" 1080p BenQ, but I'm not sure if 24" is big enough for 4 players?

I was planning on using something like this for the controls:

http://pokit.org/get/?1b5f6cbfc7df88cf8a3087e4f01f0d00.jpg

Is it possible to also use a PS2 controller for the PS1/PS2 emulation, if the game requires more buttons than available on the this control board?

I was planning on getting a really strong configuration since my C2D PC is getting slow and I want to play some upcoming PC games. Would it complicate thing much if I made a hidden drawer with a keyboard and a mouse below the control board so some PC games can be played?

That's about it for now. Thanks for your time.

TL;DR:

• Recommended widescreen monitor size for 4-player cabinet?
  • Possible to use controllers sometimes instead of the control board?
  • Ideas on hidden keyboard and mouse drawer below the control board?

I have a 4 player atari showcase cabinet with a 46 inch LED in it. A 24 is WAAAAAY too small. At least in my opinion. Keyboard drawers are great, but trying to play a pc game from one would be very annoying. I recommend you get a decent wireless keyboard and mouse and just find a nice comfy spot on your control panel when you want to play with it, and use the drawer for storage. I have 2 xbox 360 controllers for when Im not using the arcade sticks. Most people use Xpadder to run the game pads.

I have a 40" lcd in my 4 player and I would say that at the very minimum I would go would be 32, but 42 is about where you want to be. I would also think that 50 would be about as big as you need to ever go. 24 will not only be too small it will look silly because you have to build the machine wide enough for 4 people to stand at. that is much wider then 24inchs and the bezel will be huge.

Personally i think that CP has too many buttons!!

Player 1 & 2 should have 7 buttons. Players 3 & 4 only need 4 buttons. I cant think of any 4 player games that need more than 4 buttons.

Why so many buttons up top?

Is that a trackball up top? That needs to come into the center or you will mash your fingers every time you use it, e.g golden tee.

I would add a spinner as well.

Player 1 & 2 should have 7 buttons. Players 3 & 4 only need 4 buttons. I cant think of any 4 player games that need more than 4 buttons.

Is that a trackball up top? That needs to come into the center or you will mash your fingers every time you use it, e.g golden tee.

you cant play wii games with only four buttons on player 3 and 4. on my machine i use the trackball as a mouse for 3d games and player 1 joystick for wsad it works great. for me the trackball i got sucks for goldentee anyway so i cant even play that game. its great for all the rest though.

I have a 4 player atari showcase cabinet with a 46 inch LED in it. A 24 is WAAAAAY too small. At least in my opinion. Keyboard drawers are great, but trying to play a pc game from one would be very annoying. I recommend you get a decent wireless keyboard and mouse and just find a nice comfy spot on your control panel when you want to play with it, and use the drawer for storage. I have 2 xbox 360 controllers for when Im not using the arcade sticks. Most people use Xpadder to run the game pads.

Well guess I'm going 42"/46" inch monitor. As for the keyboard and mouse drawer, I'll try and figure something out. I'll keep the Xpadder in mib+nd. Thanks for the help!

I have a 40" lcd in my 4 player and I would say that at the very minimum I would go would be 32, but 42 is about where you want to be. I would also think that 50 would be about as big as you need to ever go. 24 will not only be too small it will look silly because you have to build the machine wide enough for 4 people to stand at. that is much wider then 24inchs and the bezel will be huge.

Yes I realise that now. Thanks mate!

you cant play wii games with only four buttons on player 3 and 4. on my machine i use the trackball as a mouse for 3d games and player 1 joystick for wsad it works great. for me the trackball i got sucks for goldentee anyway so i cant even play that game. its great for all the rest though.

I'm keeping he buttons for the 4-player wii games. As for the trackball, I was sticking of putting it somewhere below the hyperspin logo. (I found this blueprint on this forum, so it's not yet final, still thinking it over).

Fair enough. Just out of interest which 4 player wii games do require more than 4 buttons?

Fair enough. Just out of interest which 4 player wii games do require more than 4 buttons?

a lot, you have to have a,b 1,2, -.+, home, and emulate swing, shake x axis, y, axis, z axis some games are even unplayable if they need the nunchuck too. but Im sure there is also a ton of game that you could play with only 4 buttons , a dedicated home button, + and -. I just wanted to option on my machine to play most wii games, if you just want a select few then 4 buttons will be plenty i think.

Archived