Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Use Laptop screen for DMD?

kactussjack

This is a new interest fro me. I've tried to search this but could find any threads. Would it be possible to use a laptop display for the DMD in a 3 monitor set up? The are brand new 15.6" LED laptop screens for sale on EBay for ~$55. Would these be suitable? What else would be needed to make it work? Seems like an inexpensive way to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15-6-AU-Optronics-B156XW02-V-3-Laptop-LED-WXGA-Screen-Matte-/350592192205?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D146%26meid%3D568691756

The problem with using a laptop screen... is they do not have a built in Driver board for the signal. This is generally on the laptop motherboard. There are some test boards out there that WILL drive laptop screens.. but they run between $300 and $5k. I looked into building a wall of screens using the surplus of Laptop LCD's I have a while back. It is just not feasible. Not financially anyway.

This is a new interest fro me. I've tried to search this but could find any threads. Would it be possible to use a laptop display for the DMD in a 3 monitor set up? The are brand new 15.6" LED laptop screens for sale on EBay for ~$55. Would these be suitable? What else would be needed to make it work? Seems like an inexpensive way to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15-6-AU-Optronics-B156XW02-V-3-Laptop-LED-WXGA-Screen-Matte-/350592192205?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D146%26meid%3D568691756

Possible yes, Easy and cost effective no.

In order to use a laptop screen you woudl need an inverter (to run its internal backlight), and a compatible LCD controller.

Will end up being cheaper to use a computer monitor or small television.

if you can get a screen from a broken laptop, and can find the right chinese board to drive it, it is a nice solution i think. Ebay tells me that driver/power boards for just this situation are now really cheap, like less than 30 dollars,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Controller-Board-DIY-Kit-RTMC1B-VGA-Turn-a-Laptop-LCD-to-a-Desktop-Monitor-/110907056867?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item19d29362e3

• 1 month later...

I had success using an entire old laptop as a backglass on my initial mini pin. It was an old 14" - It simply booted to a stripped down version of winxp then ran maxivista. Maxivista is software that turns a secondary pc into a secondary monitor using the network interface. There's a free trial available that *cough* *cough* seems to base it's trial period on the date created/modified attrib of it's dll *cough* *cough*. Worked well and ancient under powered laptops can be had for very little cost. You also get to feel good about recycling all that lead/mercury :)

Archived