Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Controller advice - XBox360 (for Windows?)... X-Arcade... and how to use both?

needles

Hmm, yeah, weird stuff then! Maybe it is the controller--- I don't know...  I have a few so I suppose I could try another one in place of the silver one. It just seems like the OS likes setting it up in one way.  It loves having controller 3 as player one. haha-- I believe I'm using the drivers that came with windows.

At this point do you think my best option would be to use 2 separate scripts when rebooting? One that removes the xbox hub and installs it again with a scan-- from there I will turn on the controllers in the right oder-- and then use another script that removes the arcade stick and scans for it?  It's a three step process but at least it works-- and I don't have to manually unplug usbs and search for stuff in the device manager... which is a bonus :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to confirm something, could you check in device manager and see if the silver controller has a different device ID to the other controllers? You should be able to find it the same way we found the Arcade Stick ids. If that's the case, I suspect that your silver controller is higher up on the device manager list and hence getting bumped to position one. If that is correct, we can probably fix it.

@damageinc86 I also have a wireless hub and dolphinbar working together in just the way that tvel44 is trying to achieve, hence why I am trying so hard to help. I know it can be done because I have done it. I guess using wired controller would eliminate a certain amount of issues, but I don't think it's an inherently better way of doing it. Swings and roundabouts you might say.

Oh and I should add, this whole scenario is entirely a fault of MAME. Not windows, or drivers, or controllers. If MAME didn't use the hardware ID to order the controllers, then there wouldn't be this issue.

Ok, the hardware IDs for each controller has multiple lines but the top line on each of them is different-- they are as follows:

Black          HID\VID_045E&PID_02A1&IG_00

White          HID\VID_045E&PID_02A1&IG_02

Silver          HID\VID_045E&PID_02A1&IG_04

Black/Gray  HID\VID_045E&PID_02A1&IG_06

There is also a property called "matching device ID" -- that is the same for each controller:
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_GAME

One question, if this whole scenario is mainly MAME's fault-- would I still be having issues in the hyperspin front end?  It seems like a different controller is acting as #1 on the front end in order to navigate the wheel too -- it changes with the reboot, but ends up being consistent with MAME. Whatever shows up as joy1 in MAME, also acts as controller 1 in hyperspin. I haven't actually tried any other emulators-- MAME has been my guinea pig-- (though probably the one I'd be using most anyway.)

Those IDs seem fine.

You know actually that's a very good point. Perhaps we are trying to troubleshoot two different problems here. We need to find the pattern.

Have you used the JoyID programming to check the order of the joypads? Perhaps hyperspin uses that.

I guess that numbering of the wireless controllers doesn't effect the order at all when I turn on the controllers, right?

I have not yet tried JoyID - I had heard it didn't play nice with windows 8.1 but I'll gladly test it out if you think it might reveal something-! That would be the dream program for me if it actually worked on the later windows versions.

I'll run a few more reboots tonight and see if I can find a pattern-- as far as I can tell thus far, when my controllers are set correctly, they default after a reboot to this order:

Controller#1 as joy2, Controller#2 as joy4, Controller#3 as joy1, and controller#4 as 3 -- hyperspin front end controlled by controller 3 (joy1)

I downloaded JoyID and tried to rearrange the xbox controllers in an attempt to change which controller controlled the Hyperspin front end but didn't have much luck making the change-- I also make a profile that has the arcade stick as the fifth controller--- not quite sure if that worked or not though. I didn't notice any changes in mame at least.  Here's a quesiton... I have an old xpadder profile running.  I was fairly certain I shut it down but it still pops up in the task bar-- could that be creating any conflicts?  I'm not very familiar with xpadder and got a profile from my friend when I started building and adding to my hyperspin-- this was all kind of recent and when I saw ghutches script, I opted to use that instead-- xpadder has been in the equation but I've heard it is ok if it is running and wouldn't interfere-- but, then again, at that time I wasn't having all of these controller problems.  Could it have anything to do with this or, is it unlikely?

JoyID will not affect MAME as it doesn't use that list for ordering the controllers. I thought it might help with your Hyperspin problem though.

XPadder could easily be causing a conflict, yeah so you should remove that if you are not using it.

JoyID will not affect MAME as it doesn't use that list for ordering the controllers. I thought it might help with your Hyperspin problem though.

XPadder could easily be causing a conflict, yeah so you should remove that if you are not using it.

Thank you, Tomkun-- I'm going away this week but when I return, I'm going to make it a mission to get this thing in working order! It'll happen! haha, I'll keep you posted-- thank you for everything. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having some similar issues since connecting a second Xbox 360 controller.

I'm on HS 1.4 w/ RL on Windows 10. Using two wireless 360s. I'm having multiple controller issues but I'm betting they all roll into one issue.

When I set up initially with the 1 controller, everything seemed great. Once I turned on the second and began mapping it in my systems my problems began.

My first issue was my 2 controllers switching in Hyperspin. So I disabled joypad 2 in HyperHQ. But it is stuck on using controller two (according to the lights).

Next issue showed up in MAME. My controls seemed to switch each system start.

Next in RetroArch. In the middle of playing (after Rebinding) controller one will stop and controll will move to controller 2. After I look back in settings, it has changed both user 1 and user 2's Device Index to "User 2"

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled. Trying to compose this in Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

If anyone has issues, then I'll try my best to help.

I have a similar problem but not exactly:

With a clean install of windows (it doesn't matter if is windows 7 or windows 10) my controller works flawlessly. It appears in Xpadder (or in device manager) as two "Howler Controller". But after no specified time or a reboot (i don't know exactly) it appears as three "Howler Controller" devices instead of two and one of them has two keys always pressed. I've been disabling one by one (in windows device manager) and it seems one of the three is the LED controller (When disable that, and try to edit light controls it says theres no LED Controller and when enable it i can edit light controls again).

I asume windows is confusing my LED controller with a Joystick or something like that. Is someone experiencing the same problems or know how to solve it? 

My controller only has one USB and creates multiple virtual devices (Keyboard, Joysticks, Led controller, mouse, etc).

Here is an image with 3 controllers with keys pressed:

http://imgur.com/a/Tu7lZ

Archived