Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Game Storage

Tribe Fan

Hi guys. I am nearly outgrowing my current storage capacity and before buying a new HDD, I thought I'd ask what you all recommend when it comes to storing your games. I've currently got an always on Windows 10 machine acting as a server in my house with several HDDs attached. Should I just buy a new external HDD and add it to the setup? Is there something more efficient than what I'm doing?

I've seen multi bay hard drive enclosures - what's the advantage of using those over a regular USB 3.0 external HDD?

Would an NAS be a smart investment?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: How does this HDD look?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB5000100/dp/B00TKFEEBW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448064798&sr=8-3&keywords=external+hdd

A NAS is best for storing backups and streaming video if that interests you but it's not a simple plug n' play setup and requires a bit of work since they run off their own OS.

If you simply need more storage then... buy more storage. If you have open drive bays in your PC, then grab more internal drives. WD Red/Black or the new Toshiba X drives come in 5-6tb variations. If you're out of internal space in your case, then grab an external USB drive like you linked. Personally I'd recommend avoiding Seagate drives like the plague though, use at own risk. You don't really need to grab a prepacked external setup like that anyway.

Simply buy a cheap USB enclosure then put your own drives into it. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-K32-SU3-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B0065DUJ0C/

not picking on Seagate drives at all, but as an IT tech, I can tell you I swear by western digital drives. at least non ssd ones. (haven't worked much with ssd) , seems that more times than not, when we have a failed drive, it turns out to be a Seagate. Again, im not bashing any one drive supplier, I have had western digitals fail on me from time to time as well. Just seems more sg's fail than wd's.

at home, I pretty much use nothing but wd's... I have wd red's in 3 different synology nas devices (15 drives total) and have never had a single issue with any of them.

I'll chime in with the others on what to do. if you have the internal space, then internal is the way to go. if you are out of space, then an external usb solution is your next best bet. and I agree with damnedregistrations, buy the internal drive separate, and then buy a usb enclosure to go with it. cheaper solution than the prepackaged one.

I just purchased a wd 6 tb, from amazon for all of my storage for our new recroommasterscabinet arcade build. have a 250gb ssd for os and hyperspin and the new 6tb is just for storage of roms and chd's.

not picking on Seagate drives at all, but as an IT tech, I can tell you I swear by western digital drives. at least non ssd ones. (haven't worked much with ssd) , seems that more times than not, when we have a failed drive, it turns out to be a Seagate. Again, im not bashing any one drive supplier, I have had western digitals fail on me from time to time as well. Just seems more sg's fail than wd's.

at home, I pretty much use nothing but wd's... I have wd red's in 3 different synology nas devices (15 drives total) and have never had a single issue with any of them.

I'll chime in with the others on what to do. if you have the internal space, then internal is the way to go. if you are out of space, then an external usb solution is your next best bet. and I agree with damnedregistrations, buy the internal drive separate, and then buy a usb enclosure to go with it. cheaper solution than the prepackaged one.

I just purchased a wd 6 tb, from amazon for all of my storage for our new recroommasterscabinet arcade build. have a 250gb ssd for os and hyperspin and the new 6tb is just for storage of roms and chd's.

Doing a cursory search, I'm finding the external drives to be cheaper (for higher capacity anyway). Is Amazon the right place to be looking?

Jsut shop around mate... often reddit searches hold info on these as sales and brands change more than daily.  I can say that for me in the UK using normal price structure lately, best Bang for buck, price for storage ratio my sweet spot seems to be an external HDD for 5tb.  I just break em down and use interneal.  Of course, this means I then loose the rights for me if it gets broken... but hey thats the chance we take ;)

Which synology NAS would you recommend ?

I want 5 bay raid-5 ..

I have done a little research on getting the cheapest prices for stuff.  I believe that currently the cheapest HDs you can get are on Jet.com.  They currently have a special running where you get 20% off your first order. A TOSHIBA X300 HDWE150XZSTA 5TB will cost you $125.90 with free shipping.  It is the best deal I think you can find including black Friday deals.

https://jet.com/product/TOSHIBA-X300-HDWE150XZSTA-5TB-7200-RPM-128MB-Cache-SATA-60Gbs-35-Desktop-Interna/dd0445d8dfa54afc8e6eb1aaa77e7988

Archived