Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

DosBox Help

mccorkled

Sure, if you were really messing with a lot of settings maybe it is better to delete the system and re-add it? Anyway here's some screenshots.

Hmmm, I delete everything and started over and I am still getting this error about a folder...

33ud107.png

You can see here my game folders and the conf files. The Abuse conf is in its own folder because of your above post. Still doesn't work for me.

dr33h1.png

Here are my RLUI settings...

4lfyh2.png

2hfq58n.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok check these:

I have virtual emulator unchecked.

Have all .lnk files in same directory as installs

2zqag68.png

Make sure your conf file is named dosbox.conf not dosbox-0.74.conf or similar.

30s7vvq.png

I also notice many of your folders have long filenames. DOS usually doesn't like this very much (Although it shouldn't affect "Abuse" any). I did not see an Ace Ventura in the database... Alien Carnage should be in a folder called "AlienCar". All names in the database are limited to 8 characters. Does your lnk files work right?

As a matter of fact, judging by your pic, I would say you created your own database from stuff you had already had. Not sure if that will work. Delete the system again, this time download the xml for ms-dos from hyperlist and import that with it.

30vhc13.png

Ok check these:

I have virtual emulator unchecked.

Have all .lnk files in same directory as installs

Make sure your conf file is named dosbox.conf not dosbox-0.74.conf or similar.

I also notice many of your folders have long filenames. DOS usually doesn't like this very much (Although it shouldn't affect "Abuse" any). I did not see an Ace Ventura in the database... Alien Carnage should be in a folder called "AlienCar". All names in the database are limited to 8 characters. Does your lnk files work right?

As a matter of fact, judging by your pic, I would say you created your own database from stuff you had already had. Not sure if that will work. Delete the system again, this time download the xml for ms-dos from hyperlist and import that with it.

Ok here is what I learned from your last post...

I had the .lnk files in the wrong place.

My dosbox config was named correctly.

The long file names are ok because they are in " " I prefer this because it is just easier to see what is going on.

I DID make my own DB because some of the games I wanted to play are for Windows 3.1. My .lnk files are all working perfectly. Even the ones that launch Windows 3.1 and then auto launch the games.

I am 99% there. Just one last bump in the road.

I am getting this error now...

167phzm.png

I changed the folder with all my games in it titled "ROMS" to "Games" and it started working right. The problem with this is that I want to keep my system uniform and for all my other systems the games are in a folder called ROMS. I noticed that in your above screen shot, you have them in a folder titled Microsoft MS-DOS...

How did you get it to work without them being in a folder titled "Games?"

The "ending in a folder named games" is for exodos formatted games (I am not really familiar with this set). There is an option in global emulator settings for "Require_Games_Folder" which I have set to false. You can try that. Not sure where else exodos is referenced.

You can also, as a desperate measure, try setting "skip checks" to "Rom and Emu" and see if it will just load your conf file anyway. I don't recommend this but may be useful for testing.

If you can get it to work great, but as a general rule it is always better to use the official xml. Not sure what you mean with the windows 3.1, Dosbox supports those so I assume the ahk does too.

The "ending in a folder named games" is for exodos formatted games (I am not really familiar with this set). There is an option in global emulator settings for "Require_Games_Folder" which I have set to false. You can try that. Not sure where else exodos is referenced.

You can also, as a desperate measure, try setting "skip checks" to "Rom and Emu" and see if it will just load your conf file anyway. I don't recommend this but may be useful for testing.

If you can get it to work great, but as a general rule it is always better to use the official xml. Not sure what you mean with the windows 3.1, Dosbox supports those so I assume the ahk does too.

AHAH!!!!! SUCCESS! That last little trick did it. Everyone keeps mentioning exodos and I have no clue what that is but now all my games are working! Thank you so much for hanging in there for 6 pages haha!

I tried the skip check thing previously but that did nothing. I typically use official xml files but I have no need for an xml containing 4000+ dos games.

What I mean about the Windows games is...

Some games require Windows to run. I installed Windows 3.1 into my DOSBox root folder. I then put my Windows 3.1 games in my ROMS folder with the rest of the DOS games. I then made the config file but it needed a few extra lines...

This is for non Windows games...

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Abuse"
c:
abuse

Here is the code for Windows games...

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\Windows 3.1"
mount C "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love for Sail"
c:
cd windows
win c:\windows\runexit d:\sier.exe
exit
sk

This launches Windows 3.1 silently and then auto runs the game. When the game is exited, "c:\windows\runexit" Windows closes and "exit" closes DOSBox.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

trying to set up a bunch of dos games and I have them all running through defender but it wont launch via rocketlauncher cuz of these prof files. I read on a post that you used pc launcher to launch the dos games using an lnk extension. I can do this but my question is how did you bulk make all these shortcuts? I don't want to have to make a ton of shortcuts manually, that will take forever. Is there something that you used or how I could batch this idea? Can you provide an example of one of these lnk files too maybe?

appreciate it

Archived