Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

DosBox Help

mccorkled

OK good. Working how? I mean are you loading the game with dosboxes own .config file?

Sent from my SGH-I467M using Tapatalk

I drag the iso over the dosbox program. It mounts automatically and then I just type sk and it loads.

I put the dosbox dos.prof file into the Confs folder and now dosbox has populated the games list within DFend. When I try to launch the game in RLUI I am now getting this error

15ho86c.png

Followed by DFend popping up this error...

2n99ra8.png

I turned off fade and nothing changed.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are trying 2 peoples advice at once. I am NOT familiar with dfend, my method is not for that use. Remove all references to it from the RLUI. I have no idea what .prof files are... if you are following my method, then RLUI should be set to look for .config files. These config files are not for use in global emulator settings, they are whats going to be used to launch games instead of exe's. So again, let's get a working .config for your game. And by working, I mean double click and it loads right up, no typing whatsoever. Then we can simply tell RLUI where those .config files are. No other settings needed, not under global emulator files nothing! As a matter of fact if you add settings you don't need, it may prevent stuff from working right!

I think you are trying 2 peoples advice at once. I am NOT familiar with dfend, my method is not for that use. Remove all references to it from the RLUI. I have no idea what .prof files are... if you are following my method, then RLUI should be set to look for .config files. These config files are not for use in global emulator settings, they are whats going to be used to launch games instead of exe's. So again, let's get a working .config for your game. And by working, I mean double click and it loads right up, no typing whatsoever. Then we can simply tell RLUI where those .config files are. No other settings needed, not under global emulator files nothing! As a matter of fact if you add settings you don't need, it may prevent stuff from working right!

I have been trying both methods but not without undoing the settings from the other person first. Here is what I get when I drag my iso to DOSBox. I then just type sk and the games loads.

2zzunmg.png

Actually, you can omit the "drive c is..." the "mscdex installed" and "drive d is mounted" lines, and add "sk" on a new line at the bottom. My example earlier was close to this but I didn't realize you had the program and iso in the same location

Actually, you can omit the "drive c is..." the "mscdex installed" and "drive d is mounted" lines, and add "sk" on a new line at the bottom. My example earlier was close to this but I didn't realize you had the program and iso in the same location

When I open it, it is still trying to mount the Confs folder.

2090f15.png

Not sure where this is loading from. You didn't enter the SoundBlaster line, yet it's loading... you have: ms-dos\roms\stonkeep\ in the path and it's loading: ms-dos\confs\ and it is not mounting a cd drive at all. Also, it's trying to run it's own config instead of sk.exe.

I think it may be naming/path issue. Rename stonkeep.config to Stone Keep.config or however it is named in the DB. (will help for auditing later). It is not supposed to be loaded inside dosbox and does not need to be limited to 8 char. I would also suggest moving it to it's own folder too. Say ms-dos\games\

Dosbox is trying to load stuff from somewhere though, can you post your default.config?

OK, figured it out. Your Stonkeep.conf is fine. It's the shortcut that needs... well a shortcut lol. A windows one so do this:

• Right click on your dosbox.exe and create a new shortcut
  • Right click on the shortcut and in the target field add this to the end of it DOSBox.exe -conf "Z:\hyperspin\Emulators\MS-DOS\ROMS\STONKEEP.conf"
Now see if that works for ya.

Not sure where this is loading from. You didn't enter the SoundBlaster line, yet it's loading... you have: ms-dos\roms\stonkeep\ in the path and it's loading: ms-dos\confs\ and it is not mounting a cd drive at all. Also, it's trying to run it's own config instead of sk.exe.

I think it may be naming/path issue. Rename stonkeep.config to Stone Keep.config or however it is named in the DB. (will help for auditing later). It is not supposed to be loaded inside dosbox and does not need to be limited to 8 char. I would also suggest moving it to it's own folder too. Say ms-dos\games\

Dosbox is trying to load stuff from somewhere though, can you post your default.config?

It is loading from the path specified. IDK why I would need a soundblaster line. The name in the database is Stonkeep. Each game for DOS is located in its own folder. MS-Dos is the main folder, then I have like 170 folders each containing different games. I am super stumped. I have never had so much problems with a "system" but thank you for hanging in there with me! We will get it :)

OK, figured it out. Your Stonkeep.conf is fine. It's the shortcut that needs... well a shortcut lol. A windows one so do this:

• Right click on your dosbox.exe and create a new shortcut
  • Right click on the shortcut and in the target field add this to the end of it DOSBox.exe -conf "Z:\hyperspin\Emulators\MS-DOS\ROMS\STONKEEP.conf"
Now see if that works for ya.

Is this only setting up DOSBox to play one game though? I have a ton, only a few are isos.

Like I said earlier, I am sure dfend would be easier, I just enjoy figuring it out... lol. There is probably a simple setting in dfend that you missed for cd games somewhere, I will have a quick look as I am just hearing about this FE now.

I have a few other wheels to set up before I look into adding dos myself. I prefer GOG releases and am not sure how much I will be truly be missing from back then. My original foray into dosbox a few years back was to get the original Need For Speed by Road & Track running. I did, and I also tried a windows cd version that although was a real pain to get going, was marginally better than the dos version. And, your best experience of the game is probably the 3DO version. I like the "idea" of having all full sets, but realistically some games are released across 6-7 systems and I don't need them all. The "best" or "best playable" in some cases is good for me. Subjective? Maybe, but it's my system :-p

There was a post I saw a while ago about having all games on 1 wheel that really intrigued me. I was just learning the basics though, and it looked hard! lol. I somehow figured with databases of all these systems that it would be easy to just display them all together and still be able to launch the appropriate emu but I guess not. I don't think any FE does this???

Like I said earlier, I am sure dfend would be easier, I just enjoy figuring it out... lol. There is probably a simple setting in dfend that you missed for cd games somewhere, I will have a quick look as I am just hearing about this FE now.

I have a few other wheels to set up before I look into adding dos myself. I prefer GOG releases and am not sure how much I will be truly be missing from back then. My original foray into dosbox a few years back was to get the original Need For Speed by Road & Track running. I did, and I also tried a windows cd version that although was a real pain to get going, was marginally better than the dos version. And, your best experience of the game is probably the 3DO version. I like the "idea" of having all full sets, but realistically some games are released across 6-7 systems and I don't need them all. The "best" or "best playable" in some cases is good for me. Subjective? Maybe, but it's my system :-p

There was a post I saw a while ago about having all games on 1 wheel that really intrigued me. I was just learning the basics though, and it looked hard! lol. I somehow figured with databases of all these systems that it would be easy to just display them all together and still be able to launch the appropriate emu but I guess not. I don't think any FE does this???

You have to edit the database to include all games and then use [exe] [/exe] to launcher the specific emulator for that particular game.

Also, the shortcut option did not work either. Does each part of the path need to be less than 8 characters or only the game name? My game is in a folder hyperspin which is 9 letters and sub folder emulators with is also 9 letters.

Hmm did you make sure that you had mounted the ISO in D-Fend Reloaded? Refer to my post in Page 1 here for the screenshot.

My vote definitely goes for D-Fend Reloaded as I've been used it for quite a while now and setup most of my DOS games already, both CD image, executables etc.

Think of the .prof files as the config file used by D-Fend Reloaded to interpret the settings. If you wanted to you can even convert those .prof files into DOSBOX .conf files :)

Hmm did you make sure that you had mounted the ISO in D-Fend Reloaded? Refer to my post in Page 1 here for the screenshot.

My vote definitely goes for D-Fend Reloaded as I've been used it for quite a while now and setup most of my DOS games already, both CD image, executables etc.

Think of the .prof files as the config file used by D-Fend Reloaded to interpret the settings. If you wanted to you can even convert those .prof files into DOSBOX .conf files :)

I did everything in that post. Is there ANY WAY you can make a video of you installing Stonekeep going step by step so I can get this to work? Once I get one I can get the rest but I do not know what I am missing. Is there any way to run DOSBox in portable mode?

I keep getting this error in DFend...

2n99ra8.png

I even installed another game that does not require a cd (Abuse) and when I click the prof file, it is still trying to load this other directory... But when I double click it through DFend it loads the game...

x6d283.png

I added,

imgmount D "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Stonekeep\Stonekeep.iso" -t cdrom
mount C "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Stonekeep"
c:
sk

To the end of my .conf file and everything is working now. The problem was I installed DOSBox/Dfend in portable mode but it was still hiding the .conf files in User\Appdata\Local

Edit: When I renamed the .conf file to Stonekeep.conf it is not working anymore.

I added,

imgmount D "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Stonekeep\Stonekeep.iso" -t cdrom

mount C "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Microsoft MS-DOS\ROMS\Stonekeep"

c:

sk

To the end of my .conf file and everything is working now. The problem was I installed DOSBox/Dfend in portable mode but it was still hiding the .conf files in User\Appdata\Local

Edit: When I renamed the .conf file to Stonekeep.conf it is not working anymore.

I did everything in that post. Is there ANY WAY you can make a video of you installing Stonekeep going step by step so I can get this to work? Once I get one I can get the rest but I do not know what I am missing. Is there any way to run DOSBox in portable mode?

I keep getting this error in DFend...

2n99ra8.png

I even installed another game that does not require a cd (Abuse) and when I click the prof file, it is still trying to load this other directory... But when I double click it through DFend it loads the game...

x6d283.png

No use .prof, use the executable of the game...

Trying to get RL to launch these games now...

2q9zx9s.png

I have shortcuts (lnk files) to the .conf files...

When I try to launch a game that is in green with RL in RLUI I get this...

fleeiv.png

When I try to launch a game that is in red with RL in RLUI I get this...

2ed2mab.png

Here is the folder structure...

24cwmkk.png

The games work perfectly when I click the shortcut I made in the "Shortcuts" folder that are linked to the .conf files in the "Confs" folder.

2ep2eqt.png

Thanks!

Hey there, I just tried to setup Stonekeep using the exoDOS set and it does requires a little bit of extra efforts to set it up. This is unlike most CD games whereby it contains an installation program that installs all the necessary game files or a runnable executables that can run directly.

Inside the Stonekeep CD you'll find that it does not have any installation program that installs the game files. There is SETUP.EXE found in the IDATA folder but that is just to configure the sound.

You might even tried to run the SK.EXE directly from the CD itself, i.e. E:\DATA\SK.EXE but it will then ask for the CONFIG file, which doesn't exist inside the CD (or at least from the CD I got from exoDOS set.

To solve this problem, you'll have to mount the ISO and copy all the contents to your game folder. After that copy the CONFIG file to the DATA folder. Add in extra lines in the config. Then you're golden.

Missing CONFIG file.

post-62687-0-65168800-1437735903_thumb.jpg

Content of the CONFIG file

CD=E:\
reverse=0
full=0
sound=E016
music=A009
soundio=220
musicio=388
dma=1
irq=7
video=svga
input=keyboard
vidspeed=fast
caption_on_
sfx_vol=9
music_vol=9
brightness=0
mouse_sen=5
MOUSE_OPTION=B
#MUSIC_DISABLED
#SFX_DISABLED

Extract all the files from the ISO and copy them to your StoneKeep game folder. Then copy the CONFIG file to your StoneKeep\DATA folder

post-62687-0-06788300-1437736005_thumb.jpg

Mount the STONEKEEP.ISO as a drive in D-Fend Reloaded. Yes you still have to mount it despite copying all the CD contents to your StoneKeep game folder previously. StoneKeep will always do a CD check before launching. I did tried to unmount it and change the CONFIG to point to my mounted StoneKeep game folder, no avail. Also mount your StoneKeep game folder.

post-62687-0-88279700-1437736230_thumb.jpg

Add in arguments to start the program automatically.

post-62687-0-41233500-1437736263_thumb.jpg

Add the SK.EXE as the launching program.

post-62687-0-20324200-1437736759_thumb.jpg

Double click on the StoneKeep profile and voila!

post-62687-0-47025300-1437736292_thumb.jpg

Did you get the imgmount going correctly? After further checking, the mount needs to be done inside dosbox so not "z:\emulators\..." but "c:\stonkeep\stonkeep.iso"

Archived