Arcade pedestal cabinet

Reefboi16

New to the forum here so this might be a topic that has already been covered. Have a couple of questions for the gurus out here.
What kind of wood do you guys use??
Want something sturdy but light weight.

What thickness wood do you use?
​​​
What paint is used to finish the cabinet?

What kind of speakers a​​re best?

​Monitor preference?

I know lots of question but I want to start a build soon and just seeking the best advise. ​

Thank you all in advance for the tips.​

What kind of wood do you guys use??

Most guys tend to use MDF

Want something sturdy but light weight.
Lightweight? Then use Plywood

What thickness wood do you use?
​​​3/4" panels are standard in the arcade world

What paint is used to finish the cabinet?

Whatever you feel comfortable with. Oil and enamels look great if you can prepare them. If not, just use a good water based paint.

What kind of speakers a​​re best?
totally up to you. This is something extremely subjective in the arcade world. Some people go all out with their audio setup. I personally do not. If its loud then its good enough for me.

​Monitor preference?

I thought you were building a pedestal. You want one complete with a mounted monitor? If you can splurge and can stand teh setup, get a CGA monitor. If not, get a CRT VGA depending on the size of your project.

Yea I am doing a pedistal I guess what im asking is what kind of tv would be best to use. It would be wall mounted. So many tv choices out there just not sure what would display best graphics with the arcade.

Last pedestal i made i just used a cheapo vizio 32 inch tv. Worked pretty well but as i mentioned, I'm personally not an LCD fan. I'm a CRT nut. I literally have half a closet filled with old CRT monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

Reefboi16 I use the bat top joysticks and a 3" trackball and I router out all three so they fit in there nice and snug!! Then I put down the art work and cover it with plexi!!  I recently found t-molding that is 13/16 wide and has a lip on the top and bottom that way it locks in the plexi so I don't have any bolts showing!!! I took these pics before I got the t-molding obviously!!

post-33863-0-77958200-1442788741_thumb.jpg

post-33863-0-33930300-1442788760_thumb.jpg

post-33863-0-21845500-1442788778_thumb.jpg

It's 3/4" plywood for the cabinet and 5/8" plywood for the control panel top with 1/8" plexiglass over that!! That gives the special t-molding enough room to cover top and bottom edge!! I believe I only had to route out a 1/4" for the joysticks and 1/16" for the trackball mounting plate!! This is the first one I ever made! trying to improve with every one I make by doing something different like lightguns or light up buttons or led lights with sensor for music! I'm clearly addicted to this stuff!!!

This is my pedestal cab - http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/1769-first-time-build-pedestal-arcade/

I just built it big enough to put the tv on the back and switch it back and forth between my arcade and driving cab. There are plans on droppbox here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0lyx1equm3bhy5/Arcade%20Cab%20Drawings.ai

They are drawn in adobe illustrator and you will have to account for material thickness.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys usually route the bottom of the control panel to accomodate the joysticks or do you just layer and use a sheet of plexy at the top to protect any art work and accommodate for the thickness needed?

You could do that. Or you could not router it, use a blind hole invisible joystick mounting kit and then leave the plexi off and just cover it with your vinyl graphic.

My current CP has the plexi, but after seeing CP's with just the vinyl I think they look a lot nicer. Brad that does the sideart vinyl graphics here knows what vinyl to use for your CP. So I'm scrapping my current CP, going 8 buttons instead of 6 (6 is just to few), adding more admin keys, going RGB etc...

This is my pedestal cab - http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/1769-first-time-build-pedestal-arcade/

I just built it big enough to put the tv on the back and switch it back and forth between my arcade and driving cab. There are plans on droppbox here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0lyx1equm3bhy5/Arcade%20Cab%20Drawings.ai

They are drawn in adobe illustrator and you will have to account for material thickness.

very nice work ...

Archived