First Build

dirtynerd

Hey guys and girls hows things

So over the last couple of weeks i have been doing my reserch learning about doing a DIY Arcade and it seemed easy i have ZONE! woodwork skills buying all the tools worked out a lot more then i was hoping but once the builld is done ill just sell them off as i got most 2nd hand anyway

I got 2 x 2400x1200 MDF boards hoping that would do the full job but i fell short but two boards one for the speakers and one for the control centre so another tip to the hardware store....

this has a 32" LED screen that i picked up 2nd hand for $80 and ill be using a old PC that's not getting used anymore i might use my Gaming laptop if i want to play high end games like Street fighter 4 or mortal kombat x

First day was cutting out the side panals and sanding them back till they were the same and then i sealed primed them as i didn't have a slot cutting tool so couldn't build the unit next day was yesterday i spent most of the day out there putting the thing together this is when i found out i was a little short on wood i was lucky i had my partner help me with mounting the TV as that was a bit of a prick

Anyway i have a quick question if anyone is from OZ do you know a good place to get the glass to go over the TV screen and should i tint .... ? any help would be great

Thanks for looking

post-80858-0-01221000-1446012013_thumb.jpg

Looks great mate. I like someone who isn't scared of making a big cab!!! The bigger the screen the better.

Where are you from in Oz? 

Have you considered perspex to cover the screen?? Although, glass would be resistant to scratches. I got some perspex cut for my marquees in Melbourne quite cheap... 

Looking very nice so far!

I'm jealous of you people who have the woodowork skills to create these cabinets lol.
I'm taking a more console inspired route myself, but no one can deny how impressive something like this is.

I especially like the large screen.

What kind of sound are you putting in it?

Looks great mate. I like someone who isn't scared of making a big cab!!! The bigger the screen the better.

Where are you from in Oz? 

Have you considered perspex to cover the screen?? Although, glass would be resistant to scratches. I got some perspex cut for my marquees in Melbourne quite cheap... 

I was looking at Perspex and it's kind of cheap from a place i called they are looking for around $80 for the screen cover and the marquees

I am over in the west

And yeah i didn't want to go with a smaller screen i had a couple of 24" pc screens laying around but bigger is better so the lady's say

Thanks for posting

Looking very nice so far!

I'm jealous of you people who have the woodowork skills to create these cabinets lol.

I'm taking a more console inspired route myself, but no one can deny how impressive something like this is.

I especially like the large screen.

What kind of sound are you putting in it?

Hey Skyhigh to be honast i have no woodwork skills at all this is the first time i have ever made anything with wood i started with a jigsaw but i found a circular saw worked better as it cuts better line i found the jigsaw a bit jumpy and had to go over everything with the with the sander to clean it up

I recommend giving it ago it's not that hard once you have all the right tools but in saying that $$ is needed for the tools and you need a lot! of tools and bits so it adds up fast but i picked most up 2nd hand so wasn't to bad i think the full build will be around 700 including the tools

So if i was to build another

MDF $64

Pine for frame work $12

Buttons joysticks cables etc $120

Wheels $12

Screws/Bolts $12

Handle for the drew $6

Roller for the Drew $8

Prime seal Paint 1 litre $30 will only need 500ml for the full unit

Full Art sides front marquee contol centre $100

Screen mount $20

Glass for screen maybe around 80-100

LED light for the marquee $5

T moulding $35

So around 500 something for the full build

that's just for the full unit not the tools 

I would be cheaper in the US but i am in Australia so at the moment our exchange rate is shit if only it was a year ago when i dollor was better oh well shit happens for you guys in the US - around 20/30% off the total cost

For the sound ill be using my old PC logitech speakers it was for 5.1 but ill be just setting it up as 2.1 sub and 2 speakers

Thanks for dropping in

Looks Great.. Looking to build one very similar to this. Can you please post the specs you used for the side panels 

I found this http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/6759-tredogs-first-full-height-slim-cabinet/ 

@tredog Thanks for the specs recommend cheaking his build out

And used the same side panel specs and all the insides i made myself on the size of the TV as that was 740mm wide i made my unit 750mm wide

Hope that helps if you would like any more info feel free to ask i am happy to help when i can

Thanks for dropping in

Hey all just a quick up date i picked up some more MDF from bunnings so i could finish the build used the router to cut out a slot for the speakers to sit in worked out great i will add a strap to extra support also i did sand them back till they looked nicer then what they look like in the photo with the speakers I am using T40 Creative speakers as i found them when i was looking for my logitech and the sound from the two is better then the logitech

I still need to cut out the control pad but my printers playing up so i need to try make it out myself with out the layout print goodtimes......

Also just finished the first coat of seal and primer one more coat to go also for anyone that has done this before how did you go with putting the stickers on would you recommend painting the primer then sticking them over that or should i just stick it on the sanded primer ..... ?

Thanks for any help and thanks for looking

I was going to add photos but it seems you can only upload a max of 500kbs in total .. :(

Look good, nice work.

Yes, you should absolutely use tinted glass. With the screen on you won't even notice it, but with the screen off your cab will look orders of magnitude nicer.

Go check out threads and picks on the arcade building forum and you'll see what I mean. Non-tinted cabs look unfinished (almost fake) compared to tinted screens that look more like a factory machine (depending on build/paint/CP/Decal quality of course). In fact even an old, scratched and dinged up tinted glass panel will come off looking nicer than clear plexi.

Good luck.

Look good, nice work.

Yes, you should absolutely use tinted glass. With the screen on you won't even notice it, but with the screen off your cab will look orders of magnitude nicer.

Go check out threads and picks on the arcade building forum and you'll see what I mean. Non-tinted cabs look unfinished (almost fake) compared to tinted screens that look more like a factory machine (depending on build/paint/CP/Decal quality of course). In fact even an old, scratched and dinged up tinted glass panel will come off looking nicer than clear plexi.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply how thick dose the glass need to be.. if you don't mind me asking and there there a number or code for the tint color... ?

Thanks going to make some calls tomorrow did the control centre today was harder then i was thinking the printable layout i did buttons were to close and stuffed one control pad

Thanks for the help

Hey dirtynerd are you a member of aussiearcade?

You would get plenty of advice on getting some glass cut somewhere in oz.

No not yet ill have a check them out thanks for the help i really really want to hook the bottons up but i have to wait for the art but it's hard to wait when i am so close damn it

You'd need to check the byoac forums for the details. I can't remember the tint level. Medium aviator sunglasses level? Ha!

You're tearing down control pads for your CP instead of wiring an iPac or something similar?

Nah i am using a Ipac 1 2015 model i was going to wire up a xbox 360 controller but i didn't i have a Jtagged xbox i might just make another one just for that now that i have all the tools and the no how i might just make one of the bartop arcades now with the xbox 360 in it only time will tell if i can be stuffed my partner is getting sick of dust everywhere and me spending so much time doing this project

No not yet ill have a check them out thanks for the help i really really want to hook the bottons up but i have to wait for the art but it's hard to wait when i am so close damn it

Nah i am using a Ipac 1 2015 model i was going to wire up a xbox 360 controller but i didn't i have a Jtagged xbox i might just make another one just for that now that i have all the tools and the no how i might just make one of the bartop arcades now with the xbox 360 in it only time will tell if i can be stuffed my partner is getting sick of dust everywhere and me spending so much time doing this project

The project. The project never ends...

Haha Yeah i'll tell her that she will enjoy that well i removed some of my first photos so i can use you all were i am at now 

The buttons are only in the holes to make sure they all fit also used the router so the joysticks come up a little higher still might take 1-2 more mm off once everything is bolted in thanks for looking

post-80858-0-73755800-1446304736_thumb.jpg

post-80858-0-80309100-1446304889_thumb.jpg

Wow i hate my laptop so much i just wiped my update

Dirtynerd nice work with the router. Did you use a template for recessing the joystick plates?

I've only just started learning how to use a router and an admiring how clean your work looks.

I just traced around the joystick plate and then went from there just make sure you go down in layers taking off 4mm at a time i tired to take like 10mm off and it was to hard to control going lay by lay will let you keep control and do a clean job it was only the 2nd time i justed the router so was really happy with how it turned out

Thanks for stopping it ill update once my art is in should be by friday then i can install all the buttons and get this thing finished not bad for 2 weekends looking to make a bartop arcade with all the left over and put a 24" screen in it that i have laying around ill keep update once more is done

It just goes on and on my friiiiiends!

Some people

Started making it to play some retro games

but all we do is saw and tinker all the live long day

It's the project that never ennnnnds

Seriously... I started in April of 2014, and I haven't really 'played' a video game since lol and I haven't even done anything with woodwork! I'm just on the software side hahaha

Ha! Yeah. I've definitely spent far, far more time tinkering, building and setting up than any playing. By a huge amount actually.

However I hadn't even heard of Hyperspin before February of this year and I had my cab and setup basically complete back in May.

However the tinkering never ends. Never ends. never ends neverneverneverends...

Just a quick update got my art today bit sad about myside art as the photo was a little low res it kinda come back to kick me in the ass it's a little pixelated but will do the job still haven't put it on yet plus i am still waiting on the t moulding and this project is done still not 100% about the glass yet

post-80858-0-58412800-1446817935_thumb.jpg

Some people

Started making it to play some retro games

but all we do is saw and tinker all the live long day

It's the project that never ennnnnds

Seriously... I started in April of 2014, and I haven't really 'played' a video game since lol and I haven't even done anything with woodwork! I'm just on the software side hahaha

Yeah i am finding Setting up all the systems harder then i was thinking i can't for the life of me get Popcap and mugen working and it's doing my head in but in time i am sure ill work it out

Archived