Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

.CG shader - possible in standalone MAME? SweetFX CRT working in SEGA Model3!!

scoodidabop

I've been testing the CRT-ROYALE shader in Retroarch and been very impressed by it.  So impressed that I've considered switching all MAME and MESS (I use MESS for nes, snes, Genesis, TG16, Sega CD etc...) over to being emulated in Retroarch - but I have a few huge hang ups that prevent this.  First off is the button LED programming in LEDBlinky.  It would all be lost in Retroarch and it's a huge feature in my arcade cab that took forever to wire and set up.  Then there's the fact that you're at the mercy of retroarchs versions of MAME, which are behind current releases. Not a huge deal but still, something to consider.

So the question is - is there a way to use the CRT-ROYALE shader in standalone MAME?  TroggleMonkey (author of said shader) has a .cg version here on github that says it'll with with HLSL/GLSL. Can anyone confirm?

https://github.com/TroggleMonkey

Upon reading the page again you'll see the cg2glsl converter mentioned.  With MAME .164 and newer the GLSL implementation might be able to handle a .cg shader with the conversion, right?  I have no idea what I'm doing but I'd be glad to attempt any ideas and implementation methods you guys might know of. 

Thanks!

From what I've heard, retroarch is very limited in its mame and mess emulation. Also, mess has been integrated into mame, so the mess cores for retroarch will become increasingly outdated. I'm in the process now of migrating all my mess systems over to mame .167.

I hear you though. I love the shader and bezel offerings of retroarch. It would be nice, too, to streamline my build a little bit by using retroarch exclusively.

From what I've heard, retroarch is very limited in its mame and mess emulation. Also, mess has been integrated into mame, so the mess cores for retroarch will become increasingly outdated. I'm in the process now of migrating all my mess systems over to mame .167.

I hear you though. I love the shader and bezel offerings of retroarch. It would be nice, too, to streamline my build a little bit by using retroarch exclusively.

Those shaders are the main appeal for retroarch outside of the all-in-one approach.  Since us Hyperspin users already have a launcher we don't really need retroarch. But those shaders.  Damn.  Those friggin shaders.

I can't really help you with the technical questions you might have but maybe you ought to check out these threads: clicky   clicky

I've read through a million HLSL/GLSL shader threads so these won't help me much.  On the other hand those threads and ones like them really helped me learn how to dial in HLSL settings to my liking.  I actually redid some aperature art and tuned it to resemble the CRT-ROYALE shader but there are a couple things it still does better than my settings.  

• 2 weeks later...

So SweetFX Advanced CRT is a nice CRT effect to add when you don't have HLSL or other options.  Previously I had it working fine using manual settings in SSF (Saturn), Sega Model 2, PCSX2 (Playstation 2), Project 64 (N64) and on a couple appropriate PC titles (Shovel Knight etc).  Others had tried to get it going on Sega Model 3 and I'm happy to report that if you use ReShade you can employ this shader fairly easily!  

Head here for ReShade: http://reshade.me/

It comes with SweetFX packed in so just point it to your Model 3 directory and voila!  It works like a charm.  Personally I don't use it on Model 3 since all the textures look pretty good upscaled.  

I've also used ReShade/SweetFX to add Advanced CRT shading to Demul 5.8.2 (Dreamcast, Naomi, Atomiswave), and Mednafen (PSx).  The Demul addition was nice since they changed their renderer at some point making it impossible to use the standalone SweetFX shader.  MvC2 looks perfect now!

FWIW, I've found that I actually prefer CRT-geom. It's available in standard GLSL under MAME as well as within RA's shader pack. That gives me native consistency between them.

Now, I had never heard of being able to run this for DEmul so now I'm going to be all over that... it would be nice to have that working as well. Thanks!

FWIW, I've found that I actually prefer CRT-geom. It's available in standard GLSL under MAME as well as within RA's shader pack. That gives me native consistency between them.

Now, I had never heard of being able to run this for DEmul so now I'm going to be all over that... it would be nice to have that working as well. Thanks!

ReShade works with MAME/MESS as well.  It's pretty great.  I'm still dying to port the RetroArch "CRT Royale" shader to standalone MAME and I think ReShade might be the key to doing it.  I have a general idea about porting shaders into ReShade but since crt-royale requires some png and other .h shader file dependencies I'm not sure how to integrate all of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi scoodidabop.

Can you send me your Reshade/Sweetfx settings for Demul SFF etc...

Are you using curvature effect on it?

i'll like test it on my config.

Thx

The curvature effect breaks some stuff so I have it turned off.  I'd like to have it turned on but I can't figure out how to save different settings for different emulators.  My settings are fairly basic anyway so just jump in and try a few things under the CRT tab.

Can you explain why you can't use LEDBlinky with retroarch?  (I'm pretty new here, still trying to get my hyperspin setup working and interfaced with LEDBlinky).

LEDBlinky recognizes each exe and game independently so in setting up a single system you'd probably have to create a configuration every single game individually in Retroarch. My setup now has one lighting setup for each home console and works for all games on that console without the need for configuring every game.

• 1 year later...

Archived