Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Mess setup in Retroarch

reznnate

5200 and Mattel Intellivision are indeed quite tricky. So I tried the instructions at the start of this post, but things aren't working, so I am missing something. This thread makes it tricky to know when people are talking about RetroArch and when MESS, or even a newer MAME/MESS combo build. Can we clarify a few things as this is a great tutorial that deserves more of a step by step:

QUESTIONS:

1. What is the "ideal" emulator(s) to use for Atari 5200 with the best compatibility?

2. What is the "ideal" emulator(s) to use for Mattel Intellivision with the best compatibility?

Steps:

1. Need to set/define a 'system' rom folder for retroarch in settings->Directories (CHECK - Mine was set by default to 'settings' as a RetroArch root subfolder)

2. Inside that system folder, you need a '<system>/mess2014/hash' folder with the various hash files that ship with MESS (binaries).

(CHECK - Assuming in RetroArch still, I created the following subfolder directories:

RetroArch\system\Mattel Intellivision\mess2014\hash (intv.hsi, intv.xml, and intvecs.xml within)

RetroArch\system\Atari 5200\mess2014\hash (a5200.hsi, and a5200.xml within)

ALSO, to cover all grounds on misinterpreting the instructions:

RetroArch\system\system\mess2014\hash (a5200.hsi, and a5200, intv.hsi, intv.xml, and intvecs.xml within)

3. In the case of Atari 5200, the Rom folder must be named ../a5200 and the Bios files must be placed in ../a5200/a5200 subdirectory

4. In the case of Intellivision, the Rom folder must be named ../intv and bios files placed in ../intv/intv. A few of these rom files were tricky to identify (stic.zip, contains ro-3-9503-003.u21 file, and a few other(s)

CHECK on both steps. I renamed my roms folder as follows with my bios files in the last directory and my actual roms one subfolder prior of the same name:

Z:\Games\Mattel Intellivision\intv\intv

Z:\Games\Atari 5200\a5200\a5200

I downloaded system.zip and extracted all (mainly it is the hash folder needed- I'm not there yet on the Donkey Kong stuff within) to:

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MAMEUIFX 0.175.1

and, again in case I misinterpreted I also copied the system.zip contents to:

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MESS 159

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MESS 176

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MAME177_32

Directly in 32 bit latest RetroArch (separate from HS), I've made progress in that it now "sees" my Intellivision and 5200 roms... but crashes instantly after loading one (even after manually selecting a core first).

MameUIFX and non GUI 32bit MAME 177 - I have set extra rom paths to both newly created bios folders and still no love from MAME.

MESS - If I find the system from the search bar, mount a cart, then load it, both systems work, but compatibility is scattered.

NEARLY THERE!!!

1. Should bios files be renamed to anything like bios.bin or bios.a52 etc?

2. What emulator combination are people using? To get the others to work, I can switch to 64bit Win7, Linux or whatever. :)

3. Unless a specific need to switch emulators or on a certain game, I like the minimalist approach to just MAME/MESS/RetroArch as much as possible if compatibility is good.

I'd be happy to ignore the setup of (and lay rest to the need for) the single purpose emulators:

Mattel Intellivision: Bliss, jzIntv, Nostalgia

Atari 5200: Atari++, Jum52, Rainbow

I hope this thread leads to a definitive guide to these two systems! :)

these are really easy to setup. In your retroarch system folder you would put a folder called a5200 that's where you place all your zipped roms. Also inside that folder you would create a folder a5200 and place your zipped bios files that's it. Then in your directory place your bios path to the system folder. As for the emulator you would use mame in retroarch. Also make sure your roms are named the same as your hash folder. The hash folder is located in the system folder under hash.

• 3 weeks later...

5200 and Mattel Intellivision are indeed quite tricky.  So I tried the instructions at the start of this post, but things aren't working, so I am missing something. This thread makes it tricky to know when people are talking about RetroArch and when MESS, or even a newer MAME/MESS combo build. Can we clarify a few things as this is a great tutorial that deserves more of a step by step:

QUESTIONS:

1. What is the "ideal" emulator(s) to use for Atari 5200 with the best compatibility?

2. What is the "ideal" emulator(s) to use for Mattel Intellivision with the best compatibility?

Steps:

1. Need to set/define a 'system' rom folder for retroarch in settings->Directories  (CHECK - Mine was set by default to 'settings' as a RetroArch root subfolder)

2. Inside that system folder, you need a '<system>/mess2014/hash' folder with the various hash files that ship with MESS (binaries).

(CHECK - Assuming in RetroArch still, I created the following subfolder directories:

RetroArch\system\Mattel Intellivision\mess2014\hash  (intv.hsi, intv.xml, and intvecs.xml within)

RetroArch\system\Atari 5200\mess2014\hash (a5200.hsi, and a5200.xml within)

ALSO, to cover all grounds on misinterpreting the instructions:

RetroArch\system\system\mess2014\hash (a5200.hsi, and a5200, intv.hsi, intv.xml, and intvecs.xml within)

3. In the case of Atari 5200, the Rom folder must be named ../a5200 and the Bios files must be placed in ../a5200/a5200 subdirectory

4. In the case of Intellivision, the Rom folder must be named ../intv and bios files placed in ../intv/intv.    A few of these rom files were tricky to identify (stic.zip, contains ro-3-9503-003.u21 file, and a few other(s)

CHECK on both steps. I renamed my roms folder as follows with my bios files in the last directory and my actual roms one subfolder prior of the same name:

Z:\Games\Mattel Intellivision\intv\intv

Z:\Games\Atari 5200\a5200\a5200

I downloaded system.zip and extracted all (mainly it is the hash folder needed- I'm not there yet on the Donkey Kong stuff within) to:

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MAMEUIFX 0.175.1

and, again in case I misinterpreted I also copied the system.zip contents to:

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MESS 159

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MESS 176

Z:\HyperSpin\Emulators\MAME177_32

Directly in 32 bit latest RetroArch (separate from HS), I've made progress in that it now "sees" my Intellivision and 5200 roms... but crashes instantly after loading one (even after manually selecting a core first).

MameUIFX and non GUI 32bit MAME 177 - I have set extra rom paths to both newly created bios folders and still no love from MAME.

MESS - If I find the system from the search bar, mount a cart, then load it, both systems work, but compatibility is scattered.

NEARLY THERE!!!

1. Should bios files be renamed to anything like bios.bin or bios.a52 etc?

2. What emulator combination are people using? To get the others to work, I can switch to 64bit Win7, Linux or whatever. :)

3. Unless a specific need to switch emulators or on a certain game, I like the minimalist approach to just MAME/MESS/RetroArch as much as possible if compatibility is good.

I'd be happy to ignore the setup of (and lay rest to the need for) the single purpose emulators:

Mattel Intellivision:   Bliss, jzIntv, Nostalgia

Atari 5200:              Atari++, Jum52, Rainbow

I hope this thread leads to a definitive guide to these two systems! :)

Phantasy (forgive me if I have read wrong)

Is this for use with Android version of RA? Some of your writings seem to be for windows based emulation.

Android only really has Retroarch as an option for many systems so needs very specific setup. On PC the BEST way is to use MAME or a better standalone emulator if available. With the combination of RocketLauncher many steps can be ignored due to the command line switches the that RL uses. RL forum has a good topic on best emulator for each sysytem and then there is non-MAME website but that's open for debate apparently.

You guys are making it harder than it is. In your retroarch root folders there is a folder called system. Inside that there are a few folders mame, artwork ECT. Inside the system folder make a,folder called a5200 then put all your zipped roms in there. Make sure they are named exactly as the a5200 xml folder says. Then in the a5200 folder create another folder called a5200 and place your zipped bios files in there. Then in your retroarch directory for bios put in where your system folder is

rambo32,

Did you figure out the controls for intellivision?

hit left trigger and bring up mame menu the go under input this machine. Look for the numbers 1-4 and put them as your d pad up, right, down and left so when it starts you can hit up for 1 player or right for 2. Then ulook for select and put it as your left stick when you push it in

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are making it harder than it is. In your retroarch root folders there is a folder called system. Inside that there are a few folders mame, artwork ECT. Inside the system folder make a,folder called a5200 then put all your zipped roms in there. Make sure they are named exactly as the a5200 xml folder says. Then in the a5200 folder create another folder called a5200 and place your zipped bios files in there. Then in your retroarch directory for bios put in where your system folder is

So I have done some more testing on this only Atari 5200. I just couldnt stand having all my roms in the retroarch folder!!!!!

So anyway I will do a seperate post for this but I have got my Atari 5200 roms working directly from my NAS drive WITHOUT having to have them in the RetroArch system folder.

This seems way cleaner for my and the rompaths are simple. Also its all very simple to do just needs and extra .ini file for each system in the RetroArch system/mame/ini folder then your roms and bios can be put wherever the hell you want!!

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2016 at 1:07 PM, badhemi said:
On 10/12/2016 at 11:51 AM, jcort154 said:

rambo32,

Did you figure out the controls for intellivision?

hit left trigger and bring up mame menu the go under input this machine. Look for the numbers 1-4 and put them as your d pad up, right, down and left so when it starts you can hit up for 1 player or right for 2. Then ulook for select and put it as your left stick when you push it in

Many games I seem to have a hard time setting the fire button. Example Burgertime. If i brong up the overlay keyboard the letter A is jump. I just seem to be having a hard time mapping that the shield controller button. Also my settings do not save once I exit.

Archived