Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Database question

gec5741

So I am just starting to use hyperspin and rocket launcher in hopes to eventually build my own Arcade cabinet project.  Watching Simply Austins video's on setting up hyperspin I have that all up and running.  I used his Mame setup guide as well and in that guide he includes downloads.  The version of mame was older then what's current and I see the new version here that I plan to download.   However what I'm not sure about is the database.  I am still using the one that Austin provided but I'm guessing that is a bit old as well?  Where can I get a current database to work with the most recent version of MAME or do I need to worry about that?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may have!

P.S. Also one thing that confuses me is when getting Rom's how do I know if the roms will work with the version of mame I have?  I've heard that it's version specific.  I was getting some from a friend but he's had them for a long time so they are probably old.  Will I run into issues running them?

I believe this is the latest official Mame database for hyperspin:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7882-mame-hyperbase-database-official/

The database file just has your list of games for that system. If there is a game missing because it was added in newer versions of mame, you can just add it manually to the database file using notepad.

You can also generate your own database of your roms. I believe you can do this with Don's Hyperspin tools:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11125-dons-hyperspin-tools-43-beta-significant-rom-renamer/

Ok cool yea I was saw that don's hyperspin tools and was going to take a look at that.  So it sounds like the database isn't going to dictate if a game works or not and that was my fear.  Still trying to figure this all out but I'm getting there. 

Thanks for the reply!

There is another option, you can create the database from rocketlauncher based on the folder roms you have. Just click "Create database from rom folder" in the emulator tab. 

But I prefer getting the official database as they come with description and everything.

I always use my roms to create my own databases.  I really focus only on (USA) releases and in some rare cases I have some EU and JP games and even some ROM hacks.  

I have a LOT of romhacks myself (mostly sonic ones) I also use highly unusual name schemes so it got to the point that it was easier just to make an XML than it was to edit an existing one. I hear ya on the US releases too. Sometimes I even customize box-art so it looks like it was localized from JP to US.

Then there's the fact I combine so many wheels. Creating the XML for the Sega Genesis-32x-CD wheel took some doin'.

OK I'm starting to see the database relationship here.  Basically there are new versions out with titles added with correct names and such?  So when I get roms and try and add them they should have the correct names.  I'm guessing if the situation arises where I have a custom named one I can add it manually to the db? Or use that tool set to go through and rename my roms so the do get seen by the db?  Or like you all said create a db from my current roms.  I don't think i'd go that route because it seems to me going forward if I add roms I'd either have recreate the db again or add them by hand?  I suppose just having rocket launcher recreate the db would be ok as well.  Thanks at first I was thinking the db version pertained to the rom versions or the version of mame but it's not looking like it is.

Now I just have to figure out how to try to use this custom Hyperspin Redesign theme. 

Exactly.

Whenever I find a new game, I just open it with notepad, and copy/paste an existing game, then edit the name/year etc. info. Simple as that.

really all it is is a text file that tells hyperspin/rocketlauncher what you're games are named i.e. funkmonk.zip
Then what they should show up as i.e. Funky Monkey 2000
then it's year ie 2000
manufacturer ie fatblue inc.

Yadda yadda yadda...

Personally, I took out everything other than the filename &  display name in my databases because I don't use the extra data and I edit mine alot, so it's easier to navigate.

Archived