Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LedWiz and Zebs Boards

Gilrock

I was able to get back into my cabinet build this weekend and I also was just starting the process of wiring up the LedWiz and Zeb's boards.

So how is everyone attaching the ribbon cable wires to the LedWiz? The wires in the ribbon cable are slightly smaller than 26 awg and they don't want to stay in place when I tighten the screw. I tried doubling the end over on one and seemed to have it secure but wasn't able to consistently do that with each one. I was thinking I'm gonna get some of those insulated crimp-on pins. I also wondered if I should only strip a smaller amount of insulation so that the insulation would grab but I worried that might keep it from grabbing the conductor.

Also what is the best way to test out the circuits? Do I have to fire up a table and hope it commands that output?

And the LedWiz tutorial page that has links to the files needed....the post is like 2.5 years old...is that really the current stuff on the first page? There are 94 pages in that post so I wasn't sure if there was anything else I needed buried in there.

Thanks,

Gil

Connecting the ribbon cable, I haven't done mine yet... But I would cut off more insulation and double/triple up the wire and then plug into the screw terms. I did this with my old LEDs and it worked fine.

I don't have one of Zeb's boards, so I can't comment there, but for testing, you can download the ledwiz tool from groovygamegear.com and test each port one at a time.

The Ledwiz tutorial page is still relevant, but I would direct you to the <shameless plug>Ledwiz Configtool </shameless plug> site, as it has all the latest files you will need and it can generate config files based on you wiring configuration.

Thanks DeeGor. I was at the groovygamegear website yesterday but didn't see that tool. I also stumbled on your Configtool page yesterday but I didn't take the time to create the account yet...but I have now so I'll check that out. Zeb provides ledwiz ini files with the boards so I thought I would try those to get going.

Gil

Hey DG, we might want to see about creating a default LEDWiz layout based on Zebs boards. It looks like his boards are pre-setup as follows:

From his docs:

In the LEDWiz Control.ini file, these outputs are arranged as follows:

1 - Start Button

2 - Launch Ball Button

3 - Extra Ball Button

4 - Exit Button

5 - Slingshot - Left

6 - Slingshot Right

7 - Bumper Jet - Left

8 - Bumper Jet - Right

9 - Flipper - Left

10 - Flipper - Right

11 - Bumper Jet - Center

12 - Bumper Jet - Back (less noise)

13 - Replay Knocker (see next section)

14 - Strobe (12VDC)

15 - Gear Motor (12VDC)

16 - Spare (12VDC)

17 - Outside Flasher Left - Red

18 - Outside Flasher Left - Green

19 - Outside Flasher Left - Blue

20 - Inside Flasher Left - Red

21 - Inside Flasher Left - Green

22 - Inside Flasher Left - Blue

23 - Center Flasher Left - Red

24 - Center Flasher - Green

25 - Center Flasher - Blue

26 - Inside Flasher Right - Red

27 - Inside Flasher Right - Green

28 - Inside Flasher Right - Blue

29 - Outside Flasher Right - Red

30 - Outside Flasher Right - Green

31 - Outside Flasher Right - Blue

32 - Shaker Motor

That would be easy enough to do. I could make a button for "Default wiring configuration". I'll add it in when I get home.

I believe zeb already switched to the vpu config tool to generate the file on his website (after complaints about non working tables).. So there would be no need for zebs board users to go to the VPU tool. And why would non-board users go for his default configuration, when we have this lovely tool to generate a personal .ini already.

You could auto generate a zeb .ini and place it between the files as a service to them. (but zeb could just use the api to auto update the file on his own website)

Also: a link to a short and easy "how-to setup the ledwiz on your cab" would be great for new users. They are not helped (but rather confused) by the detailed thread currently linked to

Hey Zeb, it might be a better idea to release the apikey for that account instead of the password. With the password, someone could go in thre and change all the settings around. Thus screwing everyone else up that uses those settings going forward.

If they use the apikey, they can fetch the config via the API, or better yet with Zarquon's downloader script.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/332-ledwiz-configtool-downloader/?view=findpost&p=4153&hl=downloaded

I have been using zeb files in the beginning, then i discovered the configtool and i filled my configuration according to the mapping that i had that time, which was zeb config minus some toys.

I think a button that prefills the virtual kit mapping is a good idea, then you can customize, pwm on or off, shaker intensity, adapt the config.

And once you have your account you can join the mailing list for the new and updated config ;)

So I downloaded that tool from groovygamegear and it does nothing when I launch it. I can see a process get spawned but that's it. So I just tried firing up VP and loaded Attack from Mars and all 5 of my flasher leds were working just fine...that's all I wired up for now. I'm a little disappointed that for the first time I'm seeing lag. I put a pretty beefy PC in here and it was working fine till I added the LedWiz into the mix.

Gil

Yeah, I ran into the same thing when I first got everything wired up. I couldn't understand why I was getting stutter when I had such a beefy machine. Most of the time the issue is related to video card drivers or motherboard power saving features. I would suggest researching what the latest video card drivers that everyone is using, then try running a table from Hyperpin instead of directly from the editor. Hyperpin seems to disable power saving features that cause stutter.

Well when the stutter starts after adding the Ledwiz and associated files I'm not sure why I would point the finger at video drivers. I see VBS scripts being used is VP seriously interpreting scripts on the fly? I do embedded software and this sure looks like something that needed to be moved into it's own thread because something handling these outputs is slowing down the whole system.

Gil

You are right. The video card drivers are not the root cause of your stuttering issues. The problem is the current ledwiz framework is extremely inefficient.

I have suggested updating your video card drivers, because amazingly enough, it works. My assumption is that VP is very fickle about which drivers it works well with, and having the right ones, gives you more performance, which can be applied towards helping with eliminating stuttering. There are countless threads out there from people trying to eliminate stutter, and it always comes down to video card drivers and running from Hyperpin.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though. A new ledwiz framework is on the horizon that will change everything.

Oh yeah I was definitely going to look into your suggestions. I came to the same conclusion that it might help the problem even if it wasn't the root cause.

Any ideas why the Ledwiz test utility doesn't work? Anyone else tried to use it? I'd really like to be able to drive single outputs for testing.

Thanks,

Gil

You are right. The video card drivers are not the root cause of your stuttering issues. The problem is the current ledwiz framework is extremely inefficient.

I have suggested updating your video card drivers, because amazingly enough, it works. My assumption is that VP is very fickle about which drivers it works well with, and having the right ones, gives you more performance, which can be applied towards helping with eliminating stuttering. There are countless threads out there from people trying to eliminate stutter, and it always comes down to video card drivers and running from Hyperpin.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though. A new ledwiz framework is on the horizon that will change everything.

Just to follow up I didn't touch video drivers but playing in Hyperpin seems to work fine. It's only launching VP directly that's causes stutter... Just like you said. :) Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try.

Thanks I'll take a look at that Mod.

So I was just hooking up my first contactor to test if its working. Just my luck after troubleshooting it turned out to be a defective ribbon cable. The conductor wasn't making contact through the connector where it was squeezed onto the cable. And of course no where in town I can buy another connector today. ;(

Oh no need. I hit the local electronics store yesterday and got the connector to fix the ribbon cable. I was just bummed on Sunday because they weren't open. But it turned out I had plenty enough wiring of the contactors to keep me busy till yesterday.

So I wasn't expecting the contactors to make a big difference in how it felt to play the tables but boy was I wrong. It just made it start to feel like a real game when you can almost feel the vibration near your hands and the bumper contactors firing around various locations inside the cab...totally awesome.

The only thing I'd like to change is the shaker is like 20 times louder than everything else. I gotta figure out a way to quiet it down or I might have to disconnect it. I had family upstairs in the house complaining they couldn't sleep...lol.

And I'm just realizing I don't have anything to handle all the coin door connections plus a few of my other front cab buttons. I guess I could check into whether the I/O on the nanotech plunger could be used to handle some of the remaining stuff.

BTW...the extra ball output on the boards...is that meant to be used as an indicator only to show that you've earned an extra ball or as a switch input to buy an extra ball. I thought it was the earlier until last night I noticed some tables allow you to buy an extra ball. I don't remember that being an option when I was a kid playing.

Thanks,

Gil

Archived