Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

HyperSpin for N64 in Nvidia Shield TV: not working after 5h of working on it

qwerty89

Hello everyone, this is my first post. My goal is to emulate N64 on myShield TV device, nothing else.

So, I've been trying for 5h to make HyperSpin work on my Nvidia Shield TV, and I'm about to give up. To start, I'm going to list all what I did so that we can eliminate a few error factors from me:

-I first tried to run Retroarch (nightly build from their website) with my N64 roms (I didn't forget to download N64 core, etc.), only to have the games start and start with a black screen and a few bit of game sound sometime. I later learned in the forums that the N64 core from Retroarch is down for now. 

-Then I went for HyperSpin. I watched Simply Austin videos on how to setup HyperSpin with Rocketlauncher, how to upgrade HyperSpin 1.3.3 to 1.4, his Setup video to run N64. So I had HyperSpin working perfectly on my computer with N64 games. 

-From that I changed the ini.files in the Settings for the ones of Android. I installed Retroarch and HyperSpin on my shield from Google Play store.

-I followed this guide (http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/9226-how-to-set-up-hyperspin-on-the-nvidia-shield-beginners-guide/), copied the HyperSpin folder on my shield. It didn't work (roms not found)

-The N64 roms are not zipped, then I read about changing the path of the roms in the N64.ini files so that they match

And then I see that in the download section of this website there is 2 patches for android, and I'm getting really confused as to what I'm supposed to do because I see about 25 different things I'm supposed to change in a certain order to make it work.

So my question would be: how do I make N64 roms run on my Nvidia shield TV?

Thank you (a guy getting confused by the amount of information to make it run)

EDIT*** N64 roms are now working with Mupen64AE, you should use this until the core for the N64 is fixed for Hyperspin***

I'm using mupen64 alpha from a few months ago, and it's working well. I haven't used the newest, but I'll check it out to see if I get the same error since I know everything else is setup correctly. You should definitely make the developer aware of the issue - they can't fix what they don't know is broken

It would be best if retroarch would fix N64 core but it is broken right now.

In the meantime, you can use Paul's mupen64 emu but then you'll need to unzip roms (and change file extension in the .ini.

now wonder I had mine zipped. Sting has his zipped though

Hello guys and thanks for the replies. So to recapitulate:

- The N64 core from Retroarch is down, so we cannot use it right now

-I'm told to use Mupen64 (from the Google play store), however I cannot find it in the shield TV Google play store (is it available?). I can find it on my computer, but it doesn't appear with the Shield TV (same for Thatman84 apparently). Is it possible to copy the app on a usb key and transfert that to the Shield?

-If I install Mupen64, I need to change the ini files so it point to the correct location of the ROMs (thanks to Sting for the lines of codes and the video, but I need Mupen64 before) and unzip the ROMs (which I already did).

So if someone who has Mupen64 running on a Shield TV (very important here, not the tablet or gamepad), could someone write the general lines of what he did (copied Mupen64 from the computer to the Shield TV, changed this line, etc). 

Thank you!

EDIT: Oh wait, I can install Mupen64 on my shield from my computer. My bad. So I will install it and try your settings from your video, will give news!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived