The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

PC specs for cabinet?

Bonoscot

guys im nearly on completion of my pedestal cab...I am looking into a full pc,the problem is though I want to run most games at full potential...this includes the PS2 emulator (which I know can need a lot of power behind it)...I will hopefully have Dreamcast/gamecube/mame (chd)/ps2/......and PC for (street fighter/mk9 etc)

So the pc should be kinda future proof...can you recommend or give me and idea if your own PC specs that run these emulators/games at their near full potential....for example I heard that most emulators run better from a high CPU than a high GPU...is that correct? What about Ram etc?

I was looking at the following:

i5 2600k or i5 4670k

8gb 1600 ram

geforce 6 series card?

anything I should be looking into more ?

thanks guys.....

Future proof is kinda hard as how is anyone going to know what the future holds. MAME used to run on the smallest of systems when it first started and now it is becoming chunkier by the minute. :)

My recommendations have always been to work out a budget walk into a computer store or a computer swap meet and tell them what you intend to do with it. Give them a rough guide. I'd say middle of the road does most stuff so Intel i5, Nvidia card to match your budget ASUS motherboard is my preference good quality PSU decent SSD and a bunch of decent standard HD's (don't go Green drives you will regret it) and then the guys will spec you out with what you need. Done.

What you need to look into is your choice of OS. Obvious choice of 7 or 8.1 unless you have a CRT.

thanks guys....is it true about more CPU than GPU though for emulators,especially recent ones like the PS2/gamecube/Wii etc?

Are any of you guys running these emulators at a sufficient playable speed on your specs?

It is true about single CPU grunt vs GPU for emulation. This is why Intel is preferred over AMD for raw power. 4670 i5 is what I'd go for on budget and the 4770 i7 if I wanted to spend another $100 for more thread processing.

It is true about single CPU grunt vs GPU for emulation. This is why Intel is preferred over AMD for raw power. 4670 i5 is what I'd go for on budget and the 4770 i7 if I wanted to spend another $100 for more thread processing.

The old rule of thumb was HyperThreading added ~30% more CPU power. (that was back when we had one core + hyperthread).

If your applications are multithreaded AND are pushing the CPU, hyperthreading can really help.

Archived