Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Vectrex overlays, bezels

badhemi

25 minutes ago, badhemi said:

Crashes when I load up overlay cfg. So you say load up game then go to overlay cfg and search for overlay then choose cfg overlay?

Strange. Everything worked for me on the first try. Make sure you're using the cfg files in the second folder and not the files with the .zip ext in the first folder.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, badhemi said:

OK got it to work but now I'm stuck with berserk as overlay for all games. Do I do game override or system override?

Save game overrides. More than likely you will still see the same overlay when you try the next game but it's ok, all you have to do is load up the new overlay for said game and then save game override again and then exit Retroarch. Re enter Retroarch and repeat the process until you get all of your games with their respective overlays intact. And as thatman84 said make sure you check your overlay opacity so you can see your game within the overlay, I recommend somewhere around 0.50 to 0.60

On 2/11/2017 at 3:17 AM, thatman84 said:

@sonkun If you have emumovies account then you can grab the ones I'm trying from their FTP 

/upload here/RocketLauncher media/ Gigapig-THK

Gave this a shot and I'm on the same page as you. The first thing I tried was to copy over one of the cfg files (I tested the game bedlam) over to Gigapig's bedlam overlay folder. I then noticed when you open up any vectrex cfg it basically has the png of the overlay that covers its respective game coded into the cfg so I tried to code one of the overlay console overlays (the Bezel - Fullscreen Vectrex Overlay (Gigapig).png) (I also renamed it to something simpler like bedlamvectrex for testing purposes) using the same style of writing within the cfg files to something like Overlay0_overlay - bedlamvectrex and then changed "Overlays = 1" to a 2 since I assume it would be displaying two overlays at once, the console image and the game background image but when I tried to load the newly configed cfg up nothing worked, not even the regular game background image displayed so that was my first attempt at it all. I also assume the ini files for each overlay play a role but I'm not sure how. Maybe the contents written in the ini need to be copied and pasted into the cfg file.

Since Retroarch only seems to read cfg files for the overlays I assume whatever it is that needs to be done has to all be put within those cfg files, that's my guess. I'll continue to try expereimenting with it.

Hmm, well to get you back to default when a shader refuses to stay gone is to load up the bilinear/stock shader in the shaders_glsl presets all the way at the bottom of the list and then save it as the core preset, exit and then re enter retroarch and check your game. Every game will be back to default. That seems to be the only way it works for me. I've also been trying to figure out how to make a shader completely dissapear that you don't want anymore. I bet it's a simple solotuon too

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot get this to work I am getting confused by what goes where. To put things what File goes where and so on.  

Look ok I am no computer wiz here

can some one make the step by step.  I love that you did this 

Settings>Onscreen Display>Onscreen Overlay) and turn Display Overlay on. 

That is what I need to get this working the problem I don't understand also is once I am in the game  what will I do next how do I get back to you on the screen menu guide so on and so forth I really really need step-by-step instructions how to do this please 

Oh by the way  I have No Cfg files  can you add a template of one that works for you and I can edit it as needed.

i   Need to know where to put the overlays in what file????? In what place???????

i have been messing with this for months without success. And I am frustrated,,

6 minutes ago, propdept said:

I cannot get this to work I am getting confused by what goes where. To put things what File goes where and so on.  

Look ok I am no computer wiz here

can some one make the step by step.  I love that you did this 

Settings>Onscreen Display>Onscreen Overlay) and turn Display Overlay on. 

That is what I need to get this working the problem I don't understand also is once I am in the game  what will I do next how do I get back to you on the screen menu guide so on and so forth I really really need step-by-step instructions how to do this please 

Put your PNG and cfg files in place then go into directory in RetroArch setting and set your overlay path to that location. Then load vectrex core then load vectrex game or if your in hyperspin just load a game. Then press the center green button on shield controller. Go to settings then on-screen display then on screen overlay turn overlay to on then scroll down to RetroArch.cfg and click on that. It should bring you to where your overlay cfg files are. Say you loaded berzerk then choose berserk cfg. It then will bring you back to display  settings. Then go to quick menu and hit resume to see if overlay took. If it did then hit green button and go to quick menu and look for game override cfg. Snd core override cfg.Hit those so it keeps the setting. Then exit out of RetroArch back to the next game and do the same thing

Put your PNG and cfg files in place then go into directory in RetroArch setting

----Are you saying BOTH PNG and Cfg files in the same folder together?  Or are they in two different folders in Retro Arch?....?

and set your overlay path to that location.

--great how do you do that?.?.?

Then load vectrex core then load vectrex game or if your in hyperspin just load a game.

--fine

Then press the center green button on shield controller.

--sorry no green button no shield controller just using a pc and accessing the program without  using Hyperspin ...So how do I get to settings??.  Go up to the menu   (While the game is playing). and click Toggle Menu??.?.

Go to settings then on-screen display then on screen overlay turn overlay to on then scroll down to RetroArch.cfg and click on that. It should bring you to where your overlay cfg files are. Say you loaded berzerk then choose berserk cfg. It then will bring you back to display  settings. Then go to quick menu and hit resume to see if overlay took. If it did then hit green button and go to quick menu and look for game override cfg. Snd core override cfg.Hit those so it keeps the setting. Then exit out of RetroArch back to the next game and do the same thing

---  can you copy the text of your Cfg file here, I can use it as a template for the other Vectrex games

1 hour ago, propdept said:

Put your PNG and cfg files in place then go into directory in RetroArch setting

----Are you saying BOTH PNG and Cfg files in the same folder together?  Or are they in two different folders in Retro Arch?....?

and set your overlay path to that location.

--great how do you do that?.?.?

Then load vectrex core then load vectrex game or if your in hyperspin just load a game.

--fine

Then press the center green button on shield controller.

--sorry no green button no shield controller just using a pc and accessing the program without  using Hyperspin ...So how do I get to settings??.  Go up to the menu   (While the game is playing). and click Toggle Menu??.?.

Go to settings then on-screen display then on screen overlay turn overlay to on then scroll down to RetroArch.cfg and click on that. It should bring you to where your overlay cfg files are. Say you loaded berzerk then choose berserk cfg. It then will bring you back to display  settings. Then go to quick menu and hit resume to see if overlay took. If it did then hit green button and go to quick menu and look for game override cfg. Snd core override cfg.Hit those so it keeps the setting. Then exit out of RetroArch back to the next game and do the same thing

---  can you copy the text of your Cfg file here, I can use it as a template for the other Vectrex games

This is android section sorry

4 hours ago, propdept said:

and windows pc the instructions that was posted won't work.?

PC and droid are the same for overlays.

on pc 

where you have retroarch installed you will have an overlays folder

1. Make new folder within "overlays" folder 

2. Call it GCE Vectrex

3. Place your overlay .png files in here AND the .cfg files for them 

4. Grab the files from the sonkun's download and go to the second layer of folders. Place them in your GCE Vectrex folder

Example

retroarch/overlays/GCE Vectrex

berzerk.png

berzerk.cfg

5. Launch a Vectrex Game

F1 will access the menu from within a game

6. do as said above (turn overlays on then go to default overlay option and browse to the GCE folder and choose the cfg file for the game you have loaded)

7. go back to "quick menu" 

8. "Save game override"

9. Rinse and repeat the game overrides

For all games/overlays

You mention Cfg files.   I need sample text of the CFG files  The ones I have I am not sure if they work or not if you have the CFG files that work can you copy and paste the text of one of them here?

Please understand I do not have any CfG files,,!,!,,  I know I gotta make them using a text editor.   I need samples That Work!

for just the overlay this is an example

berzerk.cfg

berzerk.png.523fe35be8421f8d468f6ff5ba4f71e4.png

For a full screen overlay use this

berzerk(Grizz).cfgberzerk(Grizz).png.216dd601187c930d87591418481921c9.png

For the 1st example you can leave the video option aspect ration at Core Provided

For the 2nd full screen option you will need to set Custom aspect ration and play around with the settings untill it has the screen in the right place.

A couple of wweks and I should have a bunch of these setup with all the information and images needed

7 hours ago, thatman84 said:

berzerk.cfg

For the 1st example you can leave the video option aspect ration at Core Provided

For the 2nd full screen option you will need to set Custom aspect ration and play around with the settings untill it has the screen in the right place.

A couple of wweks and I should have a bunch of these setup with all the information and images needed

3 hours ago, badhemi said:
10 hours ago, thatman84 said:

berzerk.cfg

?

the second image is a full screen one @badhemi

Another option for this would be as follows...if u look at the mame artwork for vectrex,  the lay files have all the measurements in it for all the pngs....that's why when u load a rom u can pick the proper bezel for the game u are launching as badhemi said he has done in the past...now if u delete all the png info and just leave the lay file for 1 png image that will be the only image showing for that particular game as long as the lay is zipped with that particular png named as the game u are launching....so now u have a mame rom with its owns artwork that will be the proper size and now u can add a retroarch overlay like the vextrex machine...I personally haven't tried it because I prefer the larger pngs because it makes the play field as big as possible 

On 2/26/2017 at 3:19 AM, thatman84 said:

PC and droid are the same for overlays.

on pc 

where you have retroarch installed you will have an overlays folder

1. Make new folder within "overlays" folder 

2. Call it GCE Vectrex

3. Place your overlay .png files in here AND the .cfg files for them 

4. Grab the files from the sonkun's download and go to the second layer of folders. Place them in your GCE Vectrex folder

Example

retroarch/overlays/GCE Vectrex

berzerk.png

berzerk.cfg

5. Launch a Vectrex Game

F1 will access the menu from within a game

6. do as said above (turn overlays on then go to default overlay option and browse to the GCE folder and choose the cfg file for the game you have loaded)

7. go back to "quick menu" 

8. "Save game override"

9. Rinse and repeat the game overrides

For all games/overlays

ok. Finally I have had a minor success I was able to get Berzerk working through Retro Arch and the Overlays are working.  As of this moment I am making Cfg files for my roms........But.... when I try and boot up. Vectrex thru Rocket Launcher the Overlays will not show up................

what am I now missing with.  This........?.?.?a.

Archived