Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

epayson85

Ok guys so this weekend I'm adding some more hard drive space to my arcade. While doing it I thought why not have a separate ssd with just hyperspin, the media, emulators, and a good portion of the roms.

Here is the thing though I am still on hyperlaunch and hyperspin 1.3. I am def. Upgrading to rocketlauncher that is a no brainier.

The question is... do I also upgrade hyperspin to 1.4? I kept up during beta and heard about all the bugs... where does it stand now? Everything great now? No outstanding issues I should be aware of? I know I can read and find out lol but was hoping for a quick overview. Also what are the pros other than just being on the newer supported version?

Everything works great right now just need more space and I'm sick of modifying modules for newer emulators because I'm still on hyperlaunch lol it's been a pain but always figure it out.

Thanks for the advice / tips

If it works great, particularly in the cab or machine you are using, stick with it. There are only 3 reasons to upgrade:

1. Bug in the existing module that is fixed in a new version of RL
  2. Adding a new emulator
  3. New version of MAME now supports games you want to play (last version of MAME that did this was 0.166 when they added in support for the Raiden Shmups)

Otherwise, if you upgrade, you run the risk of it not being compatible with your old hardware, setting all that stuff up again, blah blah blah. HyperSpin is cool once you have it figured out, but what is cooler is playing the games.

I'm with Albert, people have got themselves in quite a mess by some recent updates which of course eventually gets fixed, but it takes time.

If you have everything working just right then leave it even down to upgrading emulators, why bother unless it's essential, just play the games.

If you must then first check the RockLauncher/emulator site to see if the updates are beneficial to you. Then the most important things is to  back up what you have already set up so you can revert back if it gets to much.

Sounds like you know what your doing if your modifying modules so it might be a quick change for you.

Thank guys, that is why I have stuck with what I have for so long.

I just figured if I'm moving it all to another hard drive I might as well upgrade RL so I'm not dealing with the modules either.  I have also never bothered with hyperpause, loading screens and so forth either cuz I have always said well I'm not going to bother until I upgraded to RL.  I did an NES PC build for a friend on 1.3 and hyperlaunch and setup all those features and really loved them so its something I have been dying to find the time to do on my setup.

As far as backup goes I do have a backup on my backup server. I am also thinking if I do a fresh install on the new SSD (copying over media and so forth but other than that a fresh install) then I can leave the current setup completely intact on my arcade.  This way if I run into trouble I can always still keep launching the original hyperspin setup until I finish this new one.  

I think I am going to attempt to upgrade RL to avoid messing with modules anymore and leave hyperspin as is.  To be honest... as good as my install is, it is quite jury rigged with all the directories screwed up because I had no idea what I was doing when I first started.  You couldn't seperate hyperlaunch from my hyperspin install if you wanted to lol.  If RL has issues with my hardware / setup... worst comes to worst I just reformat the new drive, copy everything over I have as is and call it good.  A little experimentation should be fun when I know I won't lose everything if it doesn't work.

I am still a noob in what hyperspin matters, but I upgraded to RL and after a few readings I fixed some compatibility issue. I am happy now to know I don't have to deal with modules or whatsoever. I bet you wouldn't have an issue to upgrade either with your experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest rynoman03

You should have had to move the Bezels for each system to the RL Media folder vs HS media. 

Not a terrible task. 

But if you don't utilize bezels no harm, no foul. 

Archived