Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

majorspawn

Hi Guys,

This video is of my Super Nintendo SNES PC build.

The project took about 8 months to complete. Half of the time spent was on the software configuration and a bit of time on the pad modding with the Minimus 32 AVR USB boards to allow them to work as a keyboard encoders.  The SNES built utilises all of the available buttons including eject which serves as a "p" button or pause in emulators. I also use it in KODI to cycle through subtitles. The back plates on the rear of the unit are made from grey traffolyte. The wireless SNES pad and Neo-Geo Pro stick both use a

Bluefruit EZ-Key - 12 Input Bluetooth HID Keyboard Controller which have been reprogrammed to match my default player 1 setup. They both have been modded with a standard micro usb ports to allow the use of standard chargers. The SNESpad was fitted with a 500mA lipo which provides about 6 hours of play whilst the Neo-Geo Pro pad was fitted with a 3300mA lipo which provides approx 85 hrs.

For all those interested here are the SNES PC specs at a glance:

Intel NUC D54250WYK board ( http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wyk-board-d54250wyb.html)

Intel i5 4250u processor running at 2.4Ghtz. (performance tuned up using Intel Extreme tuning utility by approx 20% stable)

16GB DDR3 1600 1.35V

8 channel Audio via hdmi 1.4a

4 x usb 3.0

2 x usb 2.0

Raphnet 4Nes4Snes usb adaptor

Mayflash GC controller to PC/Wii usb adapter

Minimus 32 AVR USB running Kade to ac5 as internal keyboard encoder for Snes buttons.

Samsung mSata 240GB SSD for OS

Intel 520 240GB SSD

Intel Graphics 5000

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Mini PCI Express Wireless 802.11AC, up to 867Mbps.

Custom Power/hdd led circuit for dual led functionality. (Covered off in video)

Windows 10 Pro with DirectX12

Hypersin frontend with Hyperlaunch

Joy2key for Snes pad configs

Here are the joystick / pad specs:

2 x Neo-Geo pads and 2 x Neo-Geo Pad 2's modded with a Minimus 32 AVR USB running Kade

1 x N64 pad using Raphnet Gamecube or N64 Controller to USB adapter

Restored Snes pads with custom 3 metre extension cords using standard grey network cable

Neo-Geo Pro stick and SNES pad with Bluefruit EZ-Key - 12 Input Bluetooth HID Keyboard

2 x Jap white Original GC controllers

2 x LS-30 custom rotary joysticks covered off as a separate project in the below video below

SNES console and pad restoration:

For the plastic restoration and yellowing removal I used Napisan / Vanish or Growth Technology Oxy Plus 50% hydrogen peroxide solution. Both worked equally well however the Oxi yielded faster results. I do not recommend the RetroBright method or equivalent as the paste smearing can result in a blotchy or inconsistent result. Submerging the plastic wholly gives a uniform finish.

Please read all safety / handling instructions prior to using any product containing hydrogen peroxide as it is corrosive and appropriate care needs to be taken as advised by product manufacturer. This video is for informative purposes only.

I have also attached the SpecialArt made by Potts43 for the SNES PC build and the custom Zelda Hyperspin intro vid made by epayson85, thank you both for your contribution to the build and assistance.

Please enjoy the video and I hope that it will inspire some of you to undertake a similar project and bring back some of these iconic 16bit consoles with a new life.

Thank You for watching.

intro.rar

SpecialArt.zip

That's a lovely SNES HTPC you have there Major.

Couple of questions.

The bleaching. Does that not effect the labels on the console and controllers?

You still have the ugly default joystick animations, have you considered replacing those with either the ChangeSticks script or (highly recommended) the Special Art app written by Potts43. He may be able to get you something custom?

Couple of questions.

You still have the ugly default joystick animations, have you considered replacing those with either the ChangeSticks script or (highly recommended) the Special Art app written by Potts43. He may be able to get you something custom?

Hi Bud,

the bleaching does not affect ANY of the graphics, stickers which would peel off when submerged in water would but the console doesn't have any. The snes has a metallic sticker on the bottom of it and that was in tack after the process also. Found the Potts stuff also thanks, might touch base with him shortly.

Hi Bud,

the bleaching does not affect ANY of the graphics, stickers which would peel off when submerged in water would but the console doesn't have any. The snes has a metallic sticker on the bottom of it and that was in tack after the process also. With the custom sticks script / app can you point  me in the right direction?

Sure. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/27211-hyperspin-specialart-organiser-105-released/?hl=specialart

That may be better as the ChangeSticks script is still a stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of questions.

Potts43 was great, and I have updated the SpecialArt, you guys can see how it looks like in the second video posted in the first thread. The vid also shows the HyperSpin intro made for me by  epayson85 I think at this point its pretty complete!

Archived